Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:23:30 PM EDT
Anybody have a good source for used/new Factory or good aftermarket mags?  Speaking of aftermarkets, anybody actually have the balls to fess up to buying a ProMag?  If so, how are they?  Decent range mags? Or utter junk?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought what I think is a 226 Pro Mag.  It works, but I would not pay a lot for it.  Range mag only.

I bought my factory SIG 226 mags from Kiesler's during the ban, $39.00, used-ouch!

I would recommend only buying the SIG factories or Meg Car brand, they are equal in quality.

The same I think.

ETA:  Check with CDNN, Kiesler's, or even sigforum.com.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought what I think is a 226 Pro Mag.  It works, but I would not pay a lot for it.  Range mag only.

I bought my factory SIG 226 mags from Kiesler's during the ban, $39.00, used-ouch!

I would recommend only buying the SIG factories or Meg Car brand, they are equal in quality.

The same I think.

ETA:  Check with CDNN, Kiesler's, or even sigforum.com.

Thanks.  Tried CDNN, most of the factory stuff is out of stock for now.  They did have some Eagle-brand for the Sig 226 for like $8.99, new, for 17rounders.  Might buy one for the range.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Check topgunsupply.com

Great prices and service.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check topgunsupply.com

Great prices and service.

Very good prices.  Will be ordering from them Monday night, after I deposit some $$$ into my checking acct so that I can use my debit card.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought  a few mags from copedist.com , they had a 20rd 228 mag, and several other hi cap Sig mags, plus regular cap, and the prices didn't seem to bad, they are factory mags also. ETA- This was2 weeks ago, and I didn't notice any Sig items that were out of stock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I only put Sig brand or Megcar magazines in my P220....both very good mags in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Mecgar mags have functioned flawlessly in both my P220 and P226.  In fact, I have better function with my Mecgars and the Sig in my P220.  I have a few Novak mags for the P220 for range use.  They have functioned fine as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Ajax Grips carries Mec- Gars for Siags.  They average about $25.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ajax Grips carries Mec- Gars for Siags.  They average about $25.

I grabbed a copy of the Mec-Gar dealer information while at ShotShow.  It appears they've discontinued production of mags for the P220 as it's not on their order/dealer pricing sheets for 2006.  That's a shame as my Mec-Gars function more reliably in MY P220 than the factory mags.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered 2 Brand New Blue 8rd Novak Mags for the Sig P220 for $40.00 shipped.  He even takes Paypal with no fees.  Here's the link
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
anybody actually have the balls to fess up to buying a ProMag?  If so, how are they?  Decent range mags? Or utter junk?  

Screw Pro Mag.  During the ban, one of my buddies bought a bunch of those el-cheapo magazines for his Baretta 92 FS.  Two magazines split immediately after loading them with 15 rounds, and 5 more showed signs of separation.  The few mags that he did have that didn't start to come apart didn't feed that well compared to factory mags.  Although their quality standards may have changed, I REFUSE to purchase a Pro Mag for the very reason that their pre 1994 magazines were utter crap.

With that being said, I have one Mec-gar for my Sig 226, and 5 Sig factory originals.  Mec-gar or Sig Factory is the only choice for my Sig P226!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
anybody actually have the balls to fess up to buying a ProMag?  If so, how are they?  Decent range mags? Or utter junk?  

Screw Pro Mag.  During the ban, one of my buddies bought a bunch of those el-cheapo magazines for his Baretta 92 FS.  Two magazines split immediately after loading them with 15 rounds, and 5 more showed signs of separation.  The few mags that he did have that didn't start to come apart didn't feed that well compared to factory mags.  Although their quality standards may have changed, I REFUSE to purchase a Pro Mag for the very reason that their pre 1994 magazines were utter crap.

With that being said, I have one Mec-gar for my Sig 226, and 5 Sig factory originals.  Mec-gar or Sig Factory is the only choice for my Sig P226!

I was being optimistic.  Maybe Promag's quality has gone up since the preban days.  I went ahead and bought 2 brand new Novak mags for my P220.  I have 5 factory zig-zag/zipper-back mags for my P226 so I'm good for now.  Might try out some of the 17rd Mecgars for it though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#13]
www.copesdist.com/sigsauer.htm

Copes has ACT/Novak 220 mags and Mec-Gar 226 mags for $19.99 ea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was being optimistic.  Maybe Promag's quality has gone up since the preban days.  I went ahead and bought 2 brand new Novak mags for my P220.  I have 5 factory zig-zag/zipper-back mags for my P226 so I'm good for now.  Might try out some of the 17rd Mecgars for it though.

I purchased 2 ProMag 12 round H&K USP 45 magazines, per my uncle's request for his pistol, the last time we purchased AR-15 mags from 44mag.com.  I still have yet to bring them to him, but I will see if they "work" the next time he and I hit a range.  I did warn him that I felt he was making a BIG mistake, but he wanted to try them anyway because the price was right.

Mec-Gars work fine in my P226, and Novaks work fine in my S&W 1911 PD, so you should have no problems with your purchase.

I too want to try some of the Mec-Gar 17 rounders because I heard the only difference is that they changed the size of the follower to accommodate two additional rounds.  I think that is what the Navy uses for their P226 issued pistols, but I could be wrong, so please do not quote me on that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I purchased 2 ProMag 12 round H&K USP 45 magazines, per my uncle's request for his pistol, the last time we purchased AR-15 mags from 44mag.com.  I still have yet to bring them to him, but I will see if they "work" the next time he and I hit a range.  I did warn him that I felt he was making a BIG mistake, but he wanted to try them anyway because the price was right.

Mec-Gars work fine in my P226, and Novaks work fine in my S&W 1911 PD, so you should have no problems with your purchase.

I too want to try some of the Mec-Gar 17 rounders because I heard the only difference is that they changed the size of the follower to accommodate two additional rounds.  I think that is what the Navy uses for their P226 issued pistols, but I could be wrong, so please do not quote me on that.

If the Navy do use the 17rd MecGar mags, that's pretty bad ass and shows how much confidence they have with them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
SEAL's are issued factory 15 and 20 round mags, if any individual operators are using 17rd Mec's, its because the purchased them personnaly.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SEAL's are issued factory 15 and 20 round mags, if any individual operators are using 17rd Mec's, its because the purchased them personnaly.  

Thanks for the clarification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top