Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:55:41 PM EDT
I have a West German 226.  Are the American Sigs with Stainless Steel Slides and external extractors more reliable than the internal ones ?  I heard Sig switch to external ones because they were not holding up to the NATO Ammo and the breech pins kept working their way out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel the German stamped slide P226 is a better balanced pistol. If I was going to use a 226 for .357 or .40, then you have to have the heavier slide. Any 9mm is just fine in the German slide gun. IMHO

Mine is a keeper for sure.

Be safe!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the West German.

However, both will work fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
This is arfcom, get both.

My W. German P228 is a flawless pistol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Three of my four SIGs are the stamped/folded steel slide versions.  My 229R is the newer stainless version.
I prefer the older versions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an american made P226 and a W. German Made P228 doesn't really matter it is a Sig
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a West German 226.  Are the American Sigs with Stainless Steel Slides and external extractors more reliable than the internal ones ?  I heard Sig switch to external ones because they were not holding up to the NATO Ammo and the breech pins kept working their way out.

My Sig Sauer P226 is 22 years old, and it still functions fine with ORIGINAL PARTS!  My only complaint is I find my slide is WAY looser than most of the used American Sigs with Stainless slides I have handled.

Now, I think it is time to change the recoil spring, but the extractor appears to be fine.

All I can say is I bought my P226 used in 1996 from a neighbor (who allegedly became addicted to drugs and sold his entire gun collection) who put several thousand rounds through it before I picked it up, and I proceeded to put another 3,000 rounds through it since then.   That pistol is ultra reliable, loose slide and all!  I NEVER experienced a FTF or FTE since I have owned it!

Just remember, a Sig is a Sig, and there is nothing more that I can add to that!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a German 226 and I have nto had any issue with the slide; i think is a well balanced pistol that shoots whatever I feed her (though she's on a strict diet of Cor-Bon 124gr. JHPs for self-defense and Magtech 115gr FMJs for range practice).

Some folks prefer the milled slide for strenght, which is good if you have a 226 in .40 or.357Sig, but mine's a 9mm, so the stamped slide works great as it is.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Should be the same I HOPE??

I cant wait until my next one
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep the older Sig. The newer ones have some MIM parts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Keep the older Sig. The newer ones have some MIM parts.

What are MIM Parts ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Made in Mexico?? just a wild guess hehe
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#12]
MIM= Metal Injection Molded. It is a process used by companies such as Kimber, Smith and Wesson. It is a high tech casting process that is supposed to create a part that is almost as stong as a forged one. People who know mich more than I do belive that MIM parts are perfectly fine. (LAPD, USMC both use Kimbers with MIM parts) Others claim that an air bubble during the MIM process can result in a weaker part.

Teddy Jacobsen (www.actionsbyT.com) and Pat Rogers are not MIM fans.

I carry a Sig P220 as a duty weapon. My departmental issue Sig is a newer one with the MIM parts. My personal P220 is about 10 years old without them. I have yet to break anyhting on the new gun. However, given a chioice of an older gun in good shape, versus a newer one with MIM, I would buy the older one.

Im not aware of anyone who claims MIM parts are better, stronger than somehting that was forged and milled. Manufactures use this process simply because it is cheaper--not better.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the West German and it is awesome. I dont know if the American is any better or worse. I would say that like mentioned before its a SIG im sure they are all of very high quality. I do like the oldschool grips over the newer ones that say SIG Sauer better though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an old W. German as well.  I find it to be a great pistol, though, I haven't had  the time to use it as extensively as some of my others.  I don't think the American pistols are any better or worse, just different.  

Actually, the finish is more durable on the Americans I believe, being a black finish over stainless (on the slides).  My old W. German Sig rusts far too easily for my liking.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I got one of the last runs made in Germany P220, I called Sig and they said that they switched to american made slides six months ago, probably september, he asked for my serial # and told me it was manufactured in Germany top to bottom and it has a carbon steel slide and green paint on the recoil spring, should I be happy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top