Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 6:05:11 PM EDT
I am a police officer in PA and I am lookin to purchase a new sig.  I currently have a glock 32, but i have recently fell in love with the sigs.   We are probably going to switch our duty ammo to Hornady TAP.  I'm torn between which caliber to carry?  .45, .357, or 40s&w?   We carry 40 cal glock 22 on duty, but i wish we would switch to P226's.   Any input/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Pibb
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello Pibb.  Personally I sometimes wish my dept. carried the Glocks as a primary handgun, but I carry my G36 .45 as a backup/off duty. :).  We carry the Sig P220R .45 (actually it is shooters choice)  we also have the option to carry the P226 in .40 but needless to say about 90% of the department went with the .45.

If you are going for strictly concealed carry I would look at the P239 (it comes in 9mm, .357SIG, and .40.  Also the P229 in .40 and .357SIG really seem to be popular but personally I find it to be rather heavy.  A big + to buying a Sig in .40 or .357SIG is you basically have two calibers in one.  You can use the same magazine but all you have to do is purchase an extra barrel.  Just swap out the barrel to the caliber you want to shoot and not you have two choices.  

The P220 .45 is a single stack magazine and overall is fairly thin so concealing it may not be a problem for some but man is it a nice shooting pistol.  Good luck and I hope this helps a little.  Stay safe!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The 239 is an excellent carry gun. Its not very small or light but makes up for this by being easy to shoot.. especially IMO, with the Hogue finger grove grips..
I would go with a 40. Same ammo as your duty gun and an excellent stopper with good overall characteristics in bullet weight, area and velocity.
If you want something a bit larger go with the 229..

I carry a 239-40 and occasionally a 229-40 in a Milt Sparks IWB VM2.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO, sigs are too heavy to conceal comfortably. The 239 weighs about the same as a 229, and a 220.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IMO, sigs are too heavy to conceal comfortably. The 239 weighs about the same as a 229, and a 220.

To heavy??? Maybe for a little girl!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am a police officer in PA and I am lookin to purchase a new sig.  I currently have a glock 32, but i have recently fell in love with the sigs.   We are probably going to switch our duty ammo to Hornady TAP.  I'm torn between which caliber to carry?  .45, .357, or 40s&w?   We carry 40 cal glock 22 on duty, but i wish we would switch to P226's.   Any input/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Pibb

Why not just use a Glock 27? If you want it to serve dual roles as both backup and off duty weapon, it makes sense to use it since it'll take your duty weapon's magazines. I had both at one time, I actually shot better with the 27 than the 22.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  I'm either going to go with the 229 in 40cal or I spoke with sig and they are starting production on P220 with 3.9"barrel and 8 round single stack mag.  That is very appealing to me!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top