Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 10:56:09 AM EDT
i have 2 days to decide whether or not i want to buy a CPO Sig 226 in 9mm in mint condition.  can ya'll tell me good/bad stuff about it.  i plan on getting my CCW soon, good for carry?  can ya'll tell me about the DA/SA on it?  does it have a decocker?  how is the accuracy?  does anybody use them in matches?  it's also the non-railed version.  if i wanted to put a light on it, how would i go about that?  basically, anything interesting to sway me to buy it or leave it would be nice.  price is $500 shipped if that makes a difference.  thanks in advance for all the info!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The SIG CPO pistols are a decent reduced-cost way to begin your SIG affliction.

The "good" is that they are new specification pistols that just have a little character to them. Most that I have seen have a few minor blemishes but you usually have to really look for them to see them. That is also the only "bad" thing about them IMHO...there may be a few minor scratches and dents on them (but they are purely cosmetic).

Good for carry? Yup...just realize that they are full-sized pistols and may take a little creative clothing to keep them unrevealed all the time in warmer temps, plus the mags are a little bulkier to conceal as well. There are other pistols in the SIG line that are a touch easier to conceal...but only slightly.

The DA/SA transition isn't a problem for me...my hand is so programmed for it that I have trouble with SA-only pistols now. The main thing is don't worry about it, get plenty of range-time, and soon you too will have a conditioned gun-hand and it won't be an issue.

Yes on the decocker, and the accuracy will be more than you will ever need or probably be able to use, for a long time (if ever).

I've used SIGs in "practical" style competition for years and all I've ever done to them is to swap out the sights (I prefer all black) and polish the front of the trigger (a personal preference). I'm a nobody but I understand that there are quite a few Euro-Shooters that use SIGs in various and sundry competitions. You'll see plenty more 1911-types & Glocks in most competitions than SIGs though...not that there is anything wrong with that...there just is no accounting for taste.  You'll hear a a lot of BS being spread around most competitive shooting events, but rest assured that the winners are winning and the losers are losing because of individual SKILL disparity, not individual tool choices.

There are several solutions for attaching lights to non-rail pistols of all types.  One uses a dedicated housing that is designed explicitly for certain frame specs, another uses a separate gizmo that clamps to the trugger guard  then you mount a 'rail' light to that, and never forget that there are PLENTY of hand-held light techniques around and it really isn't a big deal that you can't mount a light.

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Go check one out at a local shop ... They are full size as stated above ... and are pretty hard to CCW unless you are wearing some sort of jacket ...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I gave up trying to conceal mine. It does ok with a shoulder holster if you don't let the weight get to you after several hours. And normally I say nothing bad about the piece because my 226 is my first love, but don't buy one if you are looking for a concealed weapon. Buy it because you can't get much better, but if concealed is what you are going for, this is not your gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
hey guys, thanks for the replies!  i'm not worried about concealing it, i don't have my CCW and don't know if i'm gonna get it anytime soon.  was just wondering if i'd be better off buyin a new pistol when that happens.  thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
can ya'll tell me good/bad stuff about it.  

I will try

Quoted:
i plan on getting my CCW soon, good for carry?  

Way too big for concealed carry, unless you wear a blazer or suit.

Quoted:
can ya'll tell me about the DA/SA on it?  

It works really well.  Chamber a round, decock it, then the first pull of the trigger is DA, and subsequent rounds are SA.

Quoted:
does it have a decocker?  

Yes, and mine gently lowers the hammer.

Quoted:
how is the accuracy?  

Pretty good for a 9mm with a notch and blade site setup.  I find that my 226 is the most accurate in rapid fire drills.  I can't say the same for my .45s.

Quoted:
does anybody use them in matches?  

Haven't seen any, but that doesn't mean that someone out there doesn't use one in matches.

Quoted:
it's also the non-railed version.  

My 226 is non-railed too.  I find the rail makes it harder to find holsters, but I got mine in 1996, way before anyone was sticking rails on pistols.

Quoted:
if i wanted to put a light on it, how would i go about that?  

Trigger gaurd clamp mount?  I know such mounts are available for lasers, but I am not sure about flashlights.  When doing night drills, I just put the SureFire in my left hand because the recoil from the 226 is very light.

Quoted:
basically, anything interesting to sway me to buy it or leave it would be nice.  
price is $500 shipped if that makes a difference.  thanks in advance for all the info!

I picked mine up in 1996 for $200 from a neighbor who needed the money.  It was rumored that he had become a drug addict, blew his and his wife's money, and sold all of his firearm collection.  That was the deal of the century for me!

Here she is posing with other members of the family:
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks a lot gunz!  one more simple question... are the sights replaceable?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thanks a lot gunz!  one more simple question... are the sights replaceable?

yes, use a sight pusher tool.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The 226 9mm is an Excellent Gun!
IMO a little large for carry but an Accurate, Reliable and Fun shooter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#9]
hey guys, sorry to tell you that i bought an H&K USP 9mm fullsize instead.  thanks for all the info though!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
H&K makes fine pistols too!  You shouldn't be disappointed with your purchase.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
H&K makes fine pistols too!  You shouldn't be disappointed with your purchase.

oh i'm not.  i'm quite happy with it.  payin $525 to my dealer, then $20 FFL fee, so needless to say i'm very happy!  just sad to disappoint you Sig fella's
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
hey guys, sorry to tell you that i bought an H&K USP 9mm fullsize insteadhanks

Hey... if anyone is going to pass on a Sig, I prefer they do it with HK (there are a few others I wouldn't be too turned off by, too). That is a damn fine piece, and I wish you luck with it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hey guys, sorry to tell you that i bought an H&K USP 9mm fullsize instead.  thanks for all the info though!

Like I said...there is no accounting for taste  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
HK is great pistol, good choice.

That's crap about 226 being too big to conceal!!!!!!!!!  

I conceal a 226 under a Tshirt most of the time, it's all in how you carry it.  
I make concealment gear and carry in a highride pancake about 3-3:30 I don't even notice the weight.

The P226 is the only pistol I will carry now, my 1911's are now safe queens.
I shoot tighter groups out to 25m, with strong and weak hand.

If you are the thin framed geeky type then yeah it may be too big for you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you are the thin framed geeky type then yeah it may be too big for you.

It isn't so great with a female's hips, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top