Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:04:02 PM EDT
I've heard that Sig started making ALL of their 226's with the new stainless slides and external extractors since the introduction of the .357Sig, but their website shows the standard 226 with the original stamped slide/internal extractor.

What's the deal?  Does Sig still make 9mm 226's with stamped slides (the way they were meant to be).
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
They stopped making the pressed metal slides and now work the machined steel slides instead. Probably a stock photo and they have forgotten to update.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They stopped making the pressed metal slides and now work the machined steel slides instead. Probably a stock photo and they have forgotten to update.

That's what I figured.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I finally decided to get a SIG the other week, and the local dealer in town is having a hard time finding a new P228 (stamped) from any distributor, and it looks like I'm going to have to settle for a P229 milled model.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FWIW, I finally decided to get a SIG the other week, and the local dealer in town is having a hard time finding a new P228 (stamped) from any distributor, and it looks like I'm going to have to settle for a P229 milled model.

Get a CPO 228.  They might as well be new.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an old W. German the yesterday.  Could someone shed a little light on how this is done in general.  I fail to see how steel that thick could be stamped, also, it has machining marks on the inside of the slide.  Mine has an internal extractor.  Thanks, I'd love any info you guys have because I'm really curious about my new (to me) toy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got an old W. German the yesterday.  Could someone shed a little light on how this is done in general.  I fail to see how steel that thick could be stamped, also, it has machining marks on the inside of the slide.  Mine has an internal extractor.  Thanks, I'd love any info you guys have because I'm really curious about my new (to me) toy.

Think folded metal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The P220, P225, P226, P228 and P245 are or was all folded carbon steel. The P226, P229, P239 and the new P220 are milled(forged) stainless steel. I happen to like the folded steel slides but the P229 is my favorite. SiGARMS is going all steel slides. Sounds like a economic decision and like stated earlier the newer P226, P229 and P239 were created for the high pressure .40SW and .357SIG rounds. There are still a bunch of stamped slides available everywhere. CPOs are one approach and buying via the classifieds on Sigforum, Glocktalk and Calgins.net are another. I've purchased a P220, P225 and a P245 in the last 3 months with no issue. P228s are getting harder to find because they're popular but they are still abundant. In any composition be it stamped slide/aluminum frame, milled slide/aluminum frame or stainess slide and frame, they're all nice weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top