Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 2:54:39 PM EDT
I've owned 1911's, Glocks, Berettas, and S&W autos,  but feel a burning need lately to pick up my first SIG.  I'm leaning heavily towards a 229 in 9mm.

Questions-

1.  Where is a good place to buy magazines online.   Sig doesn't seem to have nearly the prolific distribution of  retailers carrying Sig magazines as other manufacturers like Glock.  Right now I'm looking at a couple CDNN LEO mags, which are not my first choice, but are new and reasonable in price.

2. CDNN had extended 15 round 229 mags, though out of stock right now- how are these mags?

3. Am I correct in noticing 2 types of mag bottoms in pics of factory Sig 228/229 mags, one that appears to just be a flat metal flooplate, and one with a contoured floorplate, which seems less likely to pinch the meaty areas of your hands when sticking in  a new mag quickly.    

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I'd prefer a P228 9mm to a P229 9mm.  The P228 was built to shoot the 9x19 cartridge.  The 228 is also refered to as the M11 when purchased by the US Military.

1.  Unless you have to have SIG factory 13rd 228/229 mags, I would go with 15rd Mec-Gar flush fit 228/229 magazines.  They are available in blued and nickle finish.

Cope's Dist.
CTD
Impact Guns
Arizona Gun
Ammo Clip
Gun Clip

This should be a good start for now.  There are others but once you know what you want you should be able to find what you need at these sites.  

2.  Don't buy any 15rd 228/229 magazine that is not flush fit unless you want a 20rd magazine.  As mentioned before Mec-Gar makes an OEM 15rd flush fit magazine that is very reliable.

3.  To my knowledge I've only seen one type of base plate on P228 SIG factory and Mec-Gar 15rd flush fit magazines.  It is usually a contoured plastic base.   I could be wrong but I would not buy any other type of magazine for your SIG besides the original factory mags or Mec-Gar mags.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Personally I'd prefer a P228 9mm to a P229 9mm.  The P228 was built to shoot the 9x19 cartridge.  The 228 is also refered to as the M11 when purchased by the US Military.

Totally agree.  Hell, I'll never own another P229.

2.  Don't buy any 15rd 228/229 magazine that is not flush fit unless you want a 20rd magazine.  As mentioned before Mec-Gar makes an OEM 15rd flush fit magazine that is very reliable.

Totally disagree.

If you have big hands like I do, then I would suggest the purchase of some Sig P226 mags, and the Freeds X-Grip grip enhancers.  They slide over the magazine, and snap around the bottom of the mag.  It provides a lil extra room for the hand to fit.  P226 mags are of legendary reliability.  Later, if you're feeling kinky, you can get some 17 rd Mec Gar mags, which work very well, and using the Freeds X-Grip, it'll give you 17+1 rounds in a P228.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I would prefer a 228, but as I've been reading about Sigs online, I've read that they discontinued them and 229's are getting to be the only choice now.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Totally disagree.

If you have bighands like I do, then I would suggest the purchase of some Sig P226 mags, and the Freeds X-Grip grip enhancers.  They slide over the magazine, and snap around the bottom of the mag.  It provides a lil extra room for the hand to fit.  P226 mags are of legendary reliability.  Later, if you're feeling kinky, you can get some 17 rd Mec Gar mags, which work very well, and using the Freeds X-Grip, it'll give you 17+1 rounds in a P228.

I'm what you might call a purist when it comes to the P228.  I only just started using 15rd Mec-Gars last year.  Before that I would only use Sig factory 13rd'ers.   While I do not disagree with anyone who wants to use the X-Grip thingy, I don't care for it, but I guess it does have it's purpose.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
See if your SIG dealer can get you some of the SIG Refubished mags. I'm buying them for $15 locally.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would prefer a 228, but as I've been reading about Sigs online, I've read that they discontinued them and 229's are getting to be the only choice now.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm a P229 (0.40S&W) owner and I'm switching to the P228.  I bought a "Certified Pre-Owned" P228 yesterday from here:  CPO SIG P228s for Sale

It hasn't arrived yet but it's supposed to be like new and has been gone over by the SIG factory.  
I like the P229 OK although it's blocky.  I'm trading the P229 40 for the 9mm 228 because I can get ammo with sealed primers (NATO headstamp) in 9mm but not 40 and this capabilty is important to me.  I'm a weird survivalist, thinking of NOLA type wet flood type scenarios.  Also, the 228 is thinner and will carry better, particularly in the shoulder rig duty I have in mind for it and I didn't want three handgun ammos anyway (9, 40, & 45).  Everyone says the 228 feels better.  Only disadvantage seems to be that the 228 slides are blued carbon steel, as opposed to the 229s stainless and can rust, a problem with SIGs since the aluminum frame sets up a galvanic cell with the steel parts.  But I'll have it painted or chromed if this is a problem and the 229 slide is more robust (since it was designed for 40) and will handle +P 9mm with ease if you're into that, and also the 229 can be converted to 9, 40 and 357.  None of those I'm interested in so it's clearly a 228 for me.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I stongly suggest you look for a 228.  I have seen them at gun stores (new, not used) recently, but they won't be around for too much longer in quantity.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all, for the valuable info.

I have left it to fate whether I wind up with a 228 or 229.
Stopped at my local in town dealer tonight to put in an order, and told
him to try and find a new P-228 first, and if not, a P-229 is fine.

Will probably pickup 2-3 of those 15 round Mecgar mags to muck around with too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top