Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:57:26 PM EDT
I just bought a new Sig 220 .45.  The recoil spring is the factory 20lb. To me, it is very strong. I was thinking of changing it out with either Wolff or Wilson reduced power springs. I was wondering which one to use with standard 230gr FMJ rounds with out comprimising functionality or excessive wear.
I will not shoot +p or higher power rounds with a reduced pwr recoil spring.
My question is which to use 18lb, 16lb or what?
I already  ordered a hammer spring pak and will try them to see if I can improve trigger pull without causing FTF's.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have you shot it yet?

Yes, I have put about 100 rounds through it. I know that guns are tight when new but I guess I don't want to wait to shoot 1000 or so rounds through it to smooth it out.
I put spring kits in some of my revolvers and they are a dream compared to the factory springs.
This will be my first experiment with a semi-auto. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the different lb springs available?  I am aware of the problems that changing a recoil spring on a semi-auto may present. I do not want to make my gun unsafe or wear it out faster than normal!
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been pondering this same issue on my 220 and am skeptical of going with an underpowered spring. The factory put a 20lb one in for a reason. I have installed extra power springs in other pistols though. I have been watching to see if someone has done it and what the effects were. I have an ST model that has a steel reciever so it could probably handle a reduced spring but I have not tried it yet. It would be real intersting to convert it to .45 Super but I have not heard of any one doing that with a 220 either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not much of an expert, but I'd say if those 100 rounds went through OK you'll be fine with the stock 20lbs'er.  I think the reduced power springs are for shooting light powered loads, if you shoot normal factory ammo, you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a used sig 220

I got wolf spring from brownells, went w/ standard weight

Have never had a problem w/ this pistol  from lead reloads to gold dots

I'd recommend sticking w/factory spring and change every 5K

I run mine wet w/synth motor oil applied w/ plastic syringe

Never a failure, no sign of wear.  And mine is pre-Berlin wall coming down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top