Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 12:12:21 PM EDT
can anybody give me real world info on this rd? was thinking of buying gun in this calibur in a sub-compact  frame.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick with 9mm.  The .357Sig might have a velocity advantage (especially when fired from a short barrel), but it's just another future commercial failure.  You will be stuck with a gun that you can't find ammo for in about five years when the ammo manufacturers stop making .357 ammo.

I just don't see a need for anything but 9mm and .45ACP in a carry gun.  Everything else is just a gimmic, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
.357sig will be around for a while.  as long as there is a major laww enforcement organization using it--air marshals and iirc secret service--companies will be making ammo for consumers also.  i hear it is much better for breeching barriers than most of the other calibers--except maybe 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
.357sig will be around for a while.  as long as there is a major laww enforcement organization using it--air marshals and iirc secret service--companies will be making ammo for consumers also.  i hear it is much better for breeching barriers than most of the other calibers--except maybe 10mm.

thats also what ive read,law enforcement is raving about it.here in virginia the state police have switched to it.i was looking for someone that had it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think 357 sig is ever "going away."  Too many agencies use it.

Almost any firearm that shootsa 357sig can be made to shoot 40 S&W with a simple barrel swap, so unless 40 S&W goes away you'll always have that option.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Alameda County
Delaware State Police (First to adopt the 357 SIG)
Dallas, Texas Police
Federal Air Marshals
Federal Protective Services (FPS) Special Agents for General Services Administration (GSA) - P229
Keizer Police Department, Oregon
La Porte County Indiana Sheriff's Department
Lancaster, Texas Police
Laurence County Sheriff's Office, Tennessee
Las Vegas Metro Police (allowed use of)
Liberty Twp Police Dept, Ohio
Maine Aroostook County Sheriff's Office
Maine Game Wardens (P226)
Maricopa County [Phoenix] Arizona Sheriff's Office/MCSO
Montcalm County (Michigan) Sheriff's Office
New Jersey Division of Fish & Game
New Mexico State Police
Niles Police Dept, Ohio
Northwood Police Dept, ND
NC Highway Patrol
NC Wake County Sheriff's Department
NC Wildlife Enforcement Officers
Nueces County Sheriff Department, Texas (Sigpro)
Oakland County Sheriff's Dept, Michigan
Orange Police Dept, CT (sig pro, SP2340 .357)
Orlando PD (plainclothes officers)
Oxford, Mississippi
Richmond, Virginia
Rocky Mount Police Dept, Rocky Mount, NC
Springfield, IL
Tennessee Highway Patrol
Union County Sheriff's Office, Marysville, Ohio (Glock 31)
Texas, DPS
United States (GSA) - Office of Inspector General (OIG) Special Agents - P229
United States Secret Service
Virginia State Police

This is only to name a few. There are many more. The .357Sig is a impressive round. It is still growing in popularity. It was only developed in 1994 so its a relatively new cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Id love to have a pistol chambered in .357 sig...however it just costs too damn much to shoot in bulk like my 9mm or even .40.
but its a mean sum bitch
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Its a Great round! But its very expensive to practice with. My self defense round is a ,40 and I practice with low cost 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Its a Great round! But its very expensive to practice with. My self defense round is a ,40 and I practice with low cost 9mm.

you can gt 50 rds of federal  .357sig for 15 bucks
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Its really fun to shoot, just from a noise standpoint.  You can definetly tell the difference between someone shooting a P226 in 9mm or one in .357.   AND, a P226 in 357, with a total capacity of 13 rounds, makes a great critter gun for backpacking.  The balistics are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The problem is that you will not just walk in and find stuff like WWB at Wally World , no Wolf steel case stuff, and even finding good JHP loads easily at many local dealers is very difficult. Order online and / or in bulk and your issue disappears.

I have no issues walking into Walmart and picking up boxes of WWB in .357sig. They always have 4-6 boxes in the case.

I love the round. its fun to shoot and its not all that expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Id love to have a pistol chambered in .357 sig...however it just costs too damn much to shoot in bulk like my 9mm or even .40.
but its a mean sum bitch

Just get a 40 cal sig pistol and get 357 and 9mm barrels for it.
The mags will fit 40, 357 and 9mm
BarSto makes after market 40 to 9mm barrels for about 200 bux
others make them too for less
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alameda County
Dallas, Texas Police
Federal Air Marshals
Federal Protective Services (FPS) Special Agents for General Services Administration (GSA) - P229
Lancaster, Texas Police
New Mexico State Police
Niles Police Dept, Ohio
NC Highway Patrol
Oxford, Mississippi
Richmond, Virginia
Springfield, IL
Tennessee Highway Patrol
Texas, DPS
Virginia State Police

This is only to name a few. There are many more. The .357Sig is a impressive round. It is still growing in popularity. It was only developed in 1994 so its a relatively new cartridge.

Authorized, not issued.  Issued is still the P-226 in 9mm,  but now they have rails on them.  

I dont think .357sig is or will be a failure, I just dont think it is the end all cartridge that some people think it is.  I've never thought its any better that a similar weitght 9mm+P, in fact I believe that heavier 9mms outperform it.  Nevertheless, its still a good cartridge.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Stick with 9mm.  The .357Sig might have a velocity advantage (especially when fired from a short barrel), but it's just another future commercial failure.  You will be stuck with a gun that you can't find ammo for in about five years when the ammo manufacturers stop making .357 ammo.

I just don't see a need for anything but 9mm and .45ACP in a carry gun.  Everything else is just a gimmic, IMO.

"Y----e----a-----h..............................................................."--Office Space  

.357SIG will be around for a long time.  125gr LE Gold Dot is clocking 1500fps out of my Glock 31 and 6K rounds later it's working 100% YMMV, a 124 or 125gr out of a 9x19mm pistol CAN'T do that in any equal barrel length pistol.  Better yet worry more about the shooter than the caliber.  I classified in IDPA better using a .357SIG than I did with 9mm, again the shooter not so much the caliber though .357SIG does group better for me than 9mm and I can shoot controlled pairs with A zone hits faster as well using a .357SIG Glock 31 vs a Glock 17.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
357 Sig is an excellent round and will be around for a while.  I carried 357 Sig for duty several years ago under T&E conditions and was quite disappointed that it was not adopted by my agency.  I found it to be extremely accurate and 100% reliable.  A good choice as a defensive round.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I was a confirmed 45 auto person for years and have swithed to the 357 Sig.  This round is just a great and flat shooter.  I make my own and I shot 200 rounds practicing head shots today.  I use any dang case I can find, 7 grains of New Unique, and the Montana Gold 125 grain 357 Sig bullet.  I use the Redding Taper Crimp and this thing sizzles.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to say after reasearching it a little more i was amazed at how little most people know about the calibur.what i did find was that the balistics was off the hook!it is almost the perfect round,and that the only drawback was over penatration.but thats what law enforcement likes about it is its penatration.also wally has WWB for 13.50 for 50 rd,s
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the 357 SIG round. I shoot my friends Pro in 357 often it is awesome, but in reality it is just a hot 9mm. The right +p 9mm ammo can nearly match .357SIG, and the two make the same perm wound canal. For the cost it just isnt worth it for me, when I can make .45 holes in something for less
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the 357 SIG round. I shoot my friends Pro in 357 often it is awesome, but in reality it is just a hot 9mm. The right +p 9mm ammo can nearly match .357SIG, and the two make the same perm wound canal. For the cost it just isnt worth it for me, when I can make .45 holes in something for less

Which 9mm will match .357SIG?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
what i read buy people who were doing the actual ballistic test ,s ,was it out performed any 9mm.to the point that the test blocks had to be reinforced.they were the ones that was describing it as an almost perfect round.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Notice how the 124gr round penetrates the same distance.  They both have pretty much identical permanant crush cavities.  Sure the temporary stretch cavity is a bit larger  in the .357sig, but its important to note that the TSC in handgun rounds dont really do any damage.

I still say .357sig is a good cartridge, but it is not any better than 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, etc.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/Francesux/Handgun_gel_comparisoAA49F.jpg

Notice how the 124gr round penetrates the same distance.  They both have pretty much identical permanant crush cavities.  Sure the temporary stretch cavity is a bit larger  in the .357sig, but its important to note that the TSC in handgun rounds dont really do any damage.

I still say .357sig is a good cartridge, but it is not any better than 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, etc.

That data is dirt old.  Imagine that 125gr .357SIG going 1500fps instead of 1319fps., I get 1500fps out of my Glock 31, the Air Marshalls and USSS are typically getting 1450fps from their 229s.  You don't think there would be any difference in effectiveness?  And from sources I have at the USSS, people they've been shooting with .357SIG are requiring a whole lot less shots to stop.  They used to use 9mm +P+   Maybe they didn't see this data.  I think I first saw that pic of the round in gelatin in 1998.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That data is dirt old.  Imagine that 125gr .357SIG going 1500fps instead of 1319fps., I get 1500fps out of my Glock 31, the Air Marshalls and USSS are typically getting 1450fps from their 229s.  You don't think there would be any difference in effectiveness?  And from sources I have at the USSS, people they've been shooting with .357SIG are requiring a whole lot less shots to stop.  They used to use 9mm +P+   Maybe they didn't see this data.  I think I first saw that pic of the round in gelatin in 1998.[/quote

yea the data i saw showed high fps 1400-1500 fps ,they dtscribed it as fast or faster than 9mm but with the knock down power of a .45 hence the problem of over penatration
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#25]
What does the recoil compare to with the .357sig?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What does the recoil compare to with the .357sig?

To me it's more linear than hot 9mm or .40

It's cycles so fast that the muzzle climbs about as much as a mediocre 9mm load but does push harder back on your hands than both but with less flip.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A partial list of agencies using this caliber copied from another site, so I am not sure how up to date it is. The .357Sig is a very good caliber, and I think it is destined to become a great caliber. For sure it will never be a commercial failure!

Alameda County
Dallas, Texas Police
Federal Air Marshals
New Mexico State Police
Niles Police Dept, Ohio
NC Highway Patrol
Oxford, Mississippi
Richmond, Virginia
Springfield, IL
Tennessee Highway Patrol
Texas, DPS
Virginia State Police

Add Latah County Sheriff's Office.

357sig rocks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
how would this round handle in a sub-compact frame?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/357_Sig

Quoted:

I don't think the 357 SIG is going anywhere soon, but then again, I thought the same thing about the 10mm.

Quoted:
I was a confirmed 45 auto person for years and have swithed to the 357 Sig.  This round is just a great and flat shooter.  I make my own and I shot 200 rounds practicing head shots today.  I use any dang case I can find, 7 grains of New Unique, and the Montana Gold 125 grain 357 Sig bullet.  I use the Redding Taper Crimp and this thing sizzles.  

Do you have to try hard to control headspace?  And if so, are you doing it off the case mouth or the shoulder?  I can't ever get a str8 answer from an official source.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I love that chart . . . . . . . .

Seems to shed a little truthin a basket of misinformation
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That data is dirt old.  Imagine that 125gr .357SIG going 1500fps instead of 1319fps., I get 1500fps out of my Glock 31, the Air Marshalls and USSS are typically getting 1450fps from their 229s.  You don't think there would be any difference in effectiveness?  And from sources I have at the USSS, people they've been shooting with .357SIG are requiring a whole lot less shots to stop.  They used to use 9mm +P+   Maybe they didn't see this data.  I think I first saw that pic of the round in gelatin in 1998.

So how many people have the "Secret Service" shot lately?

I'm dying to know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Where's the risk in buying one?  Even if .357 sig disappears (which I don't think it will), you can just swap in the .40 barrel and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm dying to know.

Why don't you email them and ask?  www.secretservice.gov/  I've got my foil on a little tight so I'll let you ask.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#34]
my P229 in .357 is exceptionally accurate
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but its a mean sum bitch

Just get a 40 cal sig pistol and get 357 and 9mm barrels for it.
The mags will fit 40, 357 and 9mm
BarSto makes after market 40 to 9mm barrels for about 200 bux
others make them too for less

That's pretty cool.  Recoil springs and other internals beefy enough?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I had both a P226 and a P229 in .357sig until about 6 months ago.  Using 125gr Gold Dots, I never got the 1,500fps you got, nor did I ever get the 1,450 you say FAMs get.  To be honest, I never even broke 1,400 fps with either gun.  I used ammo that was factory new in 2005, so please dont tell me it was old ammo.

That data may be old, but it still goes well with DocGKRs tests over on TF.  Doc Roberts newest tests in 2005 showed lil if any change.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I had both a P226 and a P229 in .357sig until about 6 months ago.  Using 125gr Gold Dots, I never got the 1,500fps you got, nor did I ever get the 1,450 you say FAMs get.  To be honest, I never even broke 1,400 fps with either gun.  I used ammo that was factory new in 2005, so please dont tell me it was old ammo.

That data may be old, but it still goes well with DocGKRs tests over on TF.  Doc Roberts newest tests in 2005 showed lil if any change.

but how is it as is? did you sell yours? why ? was there a problem?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
That's pretty cool.  Recoil springs and other internals beefy enough?

As far as the 40/357 swaps, it's the exact same pistol with a different barrel when you buy either from SIG.  The 9mm swap is an aftermarket.

SIG designed it to make it cheap for .40 owners to make the jump to .357 SIG.  Even the mags are marked with both calibers when you buy either pistol.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
how would this round handle in a sub-compact frame?

That's the ONE thing that's great about the .357Sig.  It performs very well in short barrels.  It's definately gonna have massive muzzle blast in a sub-compact, but not nearly as bad as a snubby .357 Magnum.  I still say stick with 9mm, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but how is it as is? did you sell yours? why ? was there a problem?

In the end, I found that I really didnt gain much, if anythbing with the .357sig round.  I found it was no more accurate than any of the other 9mms I was shooting.  I found out that 9mm can give great terminal performance with basically the same weight, or loaded heavier.  Also, as a person whos doing good just to be doing good, ammo prices were/are a major concern.  I found I could limit myself to 9mm and .45acp, and do quite well.

There were never any reliability issues with .357sig chambered Sigs, but then again there were never any issues with any of my 9mm or .45acp Sigs.  I personally believe the whole "bottlenecked cartridges are more reliable feeders" is a load of shit, seeing as the only jam I've ever had was with a G31 and 125gr Speer Lawman TMJ.

Never at any point in this thread have I ever said .357sig is a bad cartridge.  Its not, Its a good cartridge, but it isnt the great super fly, kill harder,car destroying cartridge that alot of people want to make it out to be.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm dying to know.

Why don't you email them and ask?  www.secretservice.gov/  I've got my foil on a little tight so I'll let you ask.

I searched around but couldn't find much info, well, except for those uber-tactical management

classes that some have taken, a few promotions to more desk duty for some. Oh! They saved

millions by taking down some elite uber-guru computer fraud scheme!

All kidding aside, I respect what they do to some extent, but I still found no links to anything

resembling "my sources at the USSS are having to shoot people less". I couldn't even find

what weapons are standard issue.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone shot this round out of a the baby Glock 33?  I've shot the Glock 27 a bit and could handle it just fine.  I'm looking for a smaller CCW gun (have Glock 19) when I'm riding my motorcycle as there's not alot of room with all that leather on.  And for whatever reason, I just don't like the .40S&W.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I have fired and carried a Glock 33.  I did not find the recoil to be excessive, the gun is just very loud with the 357 Sig rounds.  Great concealment piece with excellent power.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I searched around but couldn't find much info, well, except for those uber-tactical management

classes that some have taken, a few promotions to more desk duty for some. Oh! They saved

All kidding aside, I respect what they do to some extent, but I still found no links to anything

resembling "my sources at the USSS are having to shoot people less". I couldn't even find

I guess because you couldn't find it means USSS doesn't have a standard, even though just about everyone knows they use .357SIG in a 229 as 'standard' on duty.     The FAMs, with whom I used to work with last summer have told me that .357SIG is more effective, but then again since you didn't meet them personally then they don't exist.  They probably shoot the 2nd most amount of .357SIG per year just behind USSS, but they must not know (you didn't see it happen or see the shootings, so apparently it/they didn't happen).    My sources aren't internet based and isnt' published public data.  Maybe in the future you can compare rounds fired in 2005 by USSS with rounds fired in 1995 by USSS and compare numbers of shots fired and see if USSS gunfights required less rounds fired with .357SIG vs. 9mm.  I know what I know, believe what you must.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#45]
www.Pete-357.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess because you couldn't find it means USSS doesn't have a standard, even though just about everyone knows they use .357SIG in a 229 as 'standard' on duty.     The FAMs, with whom I used to work with last summer have told me that .357SIG is more effective, but then again since you didn't meet them personally then they don't exist.  They probably shoot the 2nd most amount of .357SIG per year just behind USSS, but they must not know (you didn't see it happen or see the shootings, so apparently it/they didn't happen).    My sources aren't internet based and isnt' published public data.  Maybe in the future you can compare rounds fired in 2005 by USSS with rounds fired in 1995 by USSS and compare numbers of shots fired and see if USSS gunfights required less rounds fired with .357SIG vs. 9mm.  I know what I know, believe what you must.

Guy, I'm not trying to start an internet pissing match.  

I was simply wondering just how many verified shootings the "elite" Secret Service has been a

part of.  I also know that the USSS, just like the FBI, and others, are not some uber high-speed,

tactical, slam the bad guys around, type of departments that the movies and a few others make

them out to be. (with exception to SRT teams)  The majority of thier work (USSS or FBI, etc.-pick

one) is of investigative nature and then more desk duty.  All I wanted to know is how many

documented shootings the USSS, not "FAM", has been involved in with thier .357 Sigs.  

As to the rest of your post;   Whatever you say . . . . . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
my P229 in .357 is exceptionally accurate

I'll second that.  My 229 in .357 is so accurate, flat shooting, and fun that  my other handguns just collect dust.  If I could only take one firearm with me it would be the 229.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top