Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 10:23:13 AM EDT
How well does the 229 conceal and carry? What are some good holsters for it? It seems kind of thick and heavy to me, I was wondering how practical it is for CCW now that winter is here and I can switch from pocket carry to IWB.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I do. I think it carrys extreemly well for it's weight. I'm 6 foot and 180 lbs and I carry it year round with no problems. I carry it in an Uncle Mikes kydex paddle holster, they cost about $14-17 are extreemly comfortable and very durrable. The best holster for the $$ no doubt!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
i carry my 228 during winter and it is the same size as the 229. i carry it in a ctac IWB holster, very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]

I've been CCWing a 229 for about 7 years.  Used to mostly use it as a winter carry piece only since I didn't have a decent IWB holster for it.  When I did carry it, it was in a Blade-tech OWB holster under a flannel shirt.  Concealed that way just fine.

Now that I live in a climate where it's warm year round, I've been carrying it just fine IWB under just a light shirt using a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.  The VM2 has worked so well I've switched to it for my other carry pieces as well.  I'm using a Wilderness Instructor's Belt as well.

So, in short, yes the 229 does conceal and carry very well.  And I'd definitely recommend the VM2 holster for it was well as a deceent belt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually carry a 239, but occasionally carry a 229. For IWB, I find the Milt Sparks VM2 is very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Every day with a Kramer #3 IWB or Galco Sky ops when wearing a shirt and tie.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I carrey a SIG 229 both way's, now that it is cold and I wear a jacket I use a GALCO CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER and I carrey one of my spare mag's in the matching SINGLE MAG CARRIER. They work great for me and are very comfortaible for the winter time.

During the summer I wear a CTAC IWB holster and that work's great for just throwing a shirt on over it and going on your way, I like the INJECTION MOLDED material because during the summer here in El Paso it get's hot and with leather it just really wouldn't work for me.

With the right rig you can carrey anything you would like and be comfortaible while you do it, try on diferent holster's and different way's to carrey to see what will work for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been carrying a P229 for over five years now. In the winter, it rides in a Mitch Rosen 5JR OWB holster. In the summer, it rides in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C.

No matter what size gun you carry, the belt you use is critical. Get a good, stiff, and sturdy belt. The belt will make a big difference in comfort. Also, a quality holster is part of the equation.

Good belt + Good holster = all day CCW comfort (irrespective of what size gun you carry)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
all the time in my Galco minimalist
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ask the Secret Service.

I would've, but they're not to be found around here.

so I've been looking at the SAS, who has the SAS?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I love Fobus paddle holsters. I have 1 for glock, 1 for sig 229 and one for 226. Tough to get out at first then gets broke in. Slips in and out fast and easy. Yet will not fall out. Covers easy with shirt. Very  comfortable. Go for around $20
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
My problem with CCW is that I'm pear-shaped, so I have trouble concealing on the hip. I'd like to carry the p229 because it is my favorite compact, but I think it is too heavy and thick to work well. I'm planning on getting a Kahr k-9 for IWB carry but I think I'd like to get an OWB for the p229 when I can wear a heavy coat over it. So what OWB holsters for the p229 hold high and tight to the body?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Well for OWB I use the GALCO CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER AND A MATCHING SPARE MAG CARRIER, this holster hold's the pistol high and tight and close to the body.

As for the IWB I am pear shaped also and I have the spare tire going as well, but I posted earlier that I carrey IWB useing a COMP-TAC C.T.A.C. and it work's great you can adjust it to have the pistol sit high or low inside the waistband.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry a P229 everyday for work in a Bianchi Carry Lock holster.  Conceals very well under an untucked shirt or jacket.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry a P228 (same size basically) in a galco IWB year round.  But I am 180 and V shaped, and that makes a difference.  As posted above, good belt+good holster makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Secret Service may not be around, but it's our duty weapon (228/229) as well.  I wear this weapon concealed for both duty and off duty carry.  I've used a variety of holsters

ETA:  The photos show different pistols, but these holsters are made for 228/229 as well.

This was my issued holster, but I wanted better retention:

I bought and use this one currently for duty use:

I have used this one for off duty carry (conceals better than the 2 above)

I ride in vehicles alot wearing a suit, have used this one and been pleased, (but I prefer a belt rig)

When off duty, I occasionally carry IWB but I can't find the holster anymore, it may have been discontinued.  It was made by Safariland and was similar to this one without the thumbbreak.

I found the 228 a bit large for IWB carry, so when I carry IWB i carry a P239 instead.  Hope that was helpful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry the 229 daily for many hours. After much testing I chose a Wild Bills No Such Agency IWB holster.  It is so comfortable I am going to get another for my 226 even if I have to put up with Bills bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top