Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 1:46:53 PM EDT
I just got a police trade in P226 –w– night sights.  Beautiful gun, looks like it was hardly fired – just some minor holster wear.  So I took it to the range today along with my PT92 and wife’s P228.  My groups with both the PT92 and P228 at 15 and 25 yds were about .5 to 1” high at 12 o’clock 2-3" in diameter (weaver stance).  Now for the P226 – at 15 yds the groups were 4-6” high at 12 and at 25 yds were 10-12” high at 12.  YIKES!  I even shot off a sandbag rest and got the same results.  Not what I expect from a Sig.  I’m thinking something might be wrong with the sights.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the barrels crown is marred. Does the rifeling look nice and sharp at the ends?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The rifeling looks good at the end.  Although I'm not enough of an expert to tell if something is wrong.  Anybody know where to get factory Sig barrels?  Or sights?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The rifeling looks good at the end.  Although I'm not enough of an expert to tell if something is wrong.  Anybody know where to get factory Sig barrels?  Or sights?

For sights I would buy from Brownells

Barrels are a different story - depending on how crazy you want to get!

1st Option:  Order from Sig Direct

2nd Option:  Bar-Sto Semi-Drop In Barrel

3rd Option:  Bar-Sto Match Grade Barrel & Fitting

That's $300 big ones but talk about a BEAST that will blow the doors off anything.

"A MT or Match Target Barrel is a barrel that is OVERSIZE in various areas and needs to be machined down in these areas to fit the individual weapons. WE RECOMMEND ONLY VERY QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED GUNSMITHS DO THIS IF WE ARE NOT DOING THE FITTING.We do offer fitting of these . For 1911 style firearms 150.00 and for the rest 100.00 plus return shipping of the firearm."

Personally if the barrel was well-work and suspect (mine feels like it shoots a little loose) I would opt for paying the $200 for a Bar-Sto semi drop in.

"A SEMI DROP IN Barrel Generaly requires little to no fitting. They should go in about 7 out of 10 times with no fitting required but with the tolerance of firearms, this is not always the case. We strive to give you the tightest lock up, still allow for the barrels to fit with little to no fitting and give you MUCH BETTER than factory accuracy."

I'll take my chances on a 7 out of 10 fit AND better than factory accuracy.  Sig doesn't even have a 9mm P226 Barrel for sale online.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The groups were fairly consistent, just way freaking high.  On the front sight is an “8”.  I can’t seem to find a number on the rear sight.  It doesn’t say "Trijicon" on the sights so I’ll assume that they are Siglite.  I’d really like to avoid having to pay the $192 (or even $118 from Brownells) for the sight tool.  Maybe there is a gunsmith around where I live that can install the sight, and maybe recrown the barrel (incase that is necessary).

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Someone almost certainly installed the wrong front sight on your gun. I have had this happen to me with a NIB Sig, I called Sig and they sent me a taller front sight. I installed it (yes, I have a sight pusher) and sent them the old one back. In your case, you might try this same avenue if the sights are not marked as "Trijicon", etc. (which means they are "Siglite" sights) My guess is you may need two sizes higher than what you have now. Does your front sight have a number on it? (6? 8?  this is not a date, but a size number) If the date (date...not the size number) on the sights is several years old, however, any guarantee is off, and you will need to buy a different front sight. Brownells has them for around $40. There is most likely nothing wrong with your barrel, assuming groups are reasonably sized and consistent, but just high.

Exactly right.  If you call SIGArms and talk to someone, they might be able to tell you exactly which number front sight you need.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My Sig P226 has #8 in the front and #8 in the rear.  But of course these are the bone-stock combat sights.  :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Just checked my 9mm P226.  #8 front sight, #7 rear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you get that from AIM Surplus?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Try http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ for Sig sights
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Number 8 on the front and rear. I have four of them and all have number 8's on the front and rear and shoot to point of aim.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the right front sight in my police trade in I bought, but the sight would start moving around after about 100 rounds (I'm thinking that when the slide got hot is when it would move) I had to drill a hole thourgh the slide and the front sight and put a roll pin in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top