Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:01:24 PM EDT
I currently own a Sig 229.  I have been thinking of getting a 220r and when I went to the shop to day to look at one the sales associate showed me a older 220.  This pistol had Sig and browning on the slide and I was told that ti would be a good peace to have If I wonted to own some history.  They weer asking 499.99 and it looked to be in about 90 to 95% condition.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and bought it new in the early '80's.  Sig was using Browning to import the pistol into the States.  At the time it was called the Browning BDA for "Browning Double Action."  It has a European mag release otherwise its a Sig 220.  I still like mine but the one you looked at seems overpriced.  There have be alot of police sales in the last several years.  I think you can pick one up cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the fast replies.  I do think that I will keep looking.  I might just go with the 220r.

I wish the GSR got better reviews.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
" Only pristine models are worth more than normal P220's though."

After 25 plus years and a couple times around the world, my grips are beat to $hit!  Oh well, it still works great!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The Euro mag release would be more of a hassle than I would want to deal with with a CCW. The 220R is damn fine. Our PD started issuing them last week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thank you for the fast replies.  I do think that I will keep looking.  I might just go with the 220r.

I wish the GSR got better reviews.

Thanks again!

Wait for a P220R if you want a shooter, as said above.

Only the first few hundred GSR's had fit and reliability issues, from what I've been able to read about them, and I've done a lot of looking, because I want one too.  If you get a new one now it should by all accounts work perfectly, and on the off chance that it doesn't, Sig has some of the best customer service in the industry.

www.ordnanceoutsellers.com has good deals on new and CPO Sigs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
looked at a GSR at the same shop, do not know how long it has been there but it looked like the hammer was rubbing or riding very very close to the right side of the slide.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I  went the FUN SHOW in Dallas this weekend, Bachman had a bunch 220r police trade ins with that Illifon finish, night sights, case, two eight rounders, 469.95, only 1 out of 7 had any holster wear, I'm getting 1 next show.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a newer model P220 with 99% finish on it, the gun isn't even broken in, IMHO.  I paid 400 OTD for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
That browning/sig is rare, however the price seems a bit high.  I also do not know if standard p-220 mags will work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a Sig p229 and an Sig p220st.  Although I love the p229 The p220st is the go to gun hands down.  Pay a little extra and get the p220r you will not regret it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
cool I think I will save up and get the  p220r.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
you seem to have made up your mind, i just want to let you know youre doing the right thing! hahaha. i have a P220R SS and i wouldnt trade if for anyting - a set of night sights, an x200, a couple safariland rigs and a bunch of novak mags are you are MADE!

i dont know what your plans are for carrying it - if its not a CCW or Duty gun i would suggest goin for the Stainless Steel version too. Its weighs more but its a truly amazing gun when it comes to accuracy. The extra weight makes it a JOY to shoot! im sure the non SS are awesome too, and if i had to carry it i would buy one. but mines a home defense gun, so when it comes out its comin out to do business.

my .02 - post up pics when you get it

oh, p.s. i suggest getting the hogue soft grips for it. i dont know if all 220s come with em, they should, they are amaing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top