Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2005 1:12:38 PM EDT
Any one here has run a 229 .357sig with 9mm supressor? The reason iam asking is that i have a  229 (.40s&w) with a .357sig threaded barrel (on ordered) and a 9mm supressor laying around. I would like to try the combo given the fact that 9mm bullet is .356dia compare to the .357sig. I know the supression level will not be much due to the velocity of the .357sig bullet but "may be" i can slow it down from reloading. Anyone has done this??
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there any subsonic .357sig rounds out there yet?  I would say that would be perfect if there were.  would move alot faster than a 9mm and be worth supressing at that point.  I dunno about a supressor but, I run both barrels in my sig and I definatly prefer the .357sig round over the .40.  Such a nice round.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there are any subsonic round for .357sig yet. I just have to play with the reload and the chronograph to get the best. The goal is to slow down the bullet, not moving it faster because once the bullet travel beyond the speed of sound, sound supression isn't worth much anymore. (to be "quiet"). I preferred the .357sig over the .40 too, less recoil, more controlability, but it is rare and expensive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't think there are any subsonic round for .357sig yet. I just have to play with the reload and the chronograph to get the best. The goal is to slow down the bullet, not moving it faster because once the bullet travel beyond the speed of sound, sound supression isn't worth much anymore. (to be "quiet"). I preferred the .357sig over the .40 too, less recoil, more controlability, but it is rare and expensive.

Actualy, I just picked up about 400 rounds of really good plinking .357sig for $80.  If you look at most places now on the web the .357sig isnt much if ANY more expensive than .40.  I would check your sources for ammo if the prices are extremely different.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
An update...and it works.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi TTH110,
I'm thinking about the same setup. I have a P229 with a .357 sig 1/2x28 threaded barrel. I just have a few questions for you:
1. Did you used standard factory 125 Grain .357Sig or some kind of weaker load?
2. How many rounds fired through the suppressor and has there any damage done to it?
3. When suppressed, does it sounds like 22lr or even quieter than that?
Many thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice rig.  I can't understand why you'd want to suppress .357 Sig - which is designed from the ground up to launch a bullet at high speed; I'd think the .40 would be a more viable option, with heavy for caliber loads - maybe a tailored 200 grain handload.  How loud is the .357 after suppression?

Regards,

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It wasn't my intention to try to suppress the .357 Sig cartridge (because of its designed velocity) but i had a 9mm can, pistol and the threaded barrel cost under 100 so i thought i should give it a try. I have put 300 rds of 147 gr  XTP & 158 gr through it without any problem so far.  I didn't hear any crack at all. I don't shoot .22LR much but i know it is definately more quiet than my suppress 5.56 (which is somewhat same as .22lr). I tried factory Corbon 124gr and sonic crack was there. If anything, i would say it is as quiet as a suppressing 9mm. Keep in mind i am talking about subsonic load here, not factory load. The only thing is that the can will get hot quicker due to the extra gas.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reply, and hope you enjoy it!  Very nice setup once again...

Regards,

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. I tried it wet last night with 5 ml of water and damn...it sounded so much like a paintball gun but not as loud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top