Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Old School Tag

Means I'm interested in keeping up with this thread.

Thinking of a full size X myself
View Quote
Went to a full size P320 X VTAC for EDC.  It’s awesome!  Do it and don’t look back.  I also have an X5.  Problem is, now I don’t know which one to shoot when I go out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Now it's a party

Link Posted: 7/17/2018 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
No party for me

All I see are white boxes
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No party for me

All I see are white boxes
View Quote
Hmm...

That work any better?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes sir

Very nice indeed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent. New configuration for the gun of course means another round of T&E for reliability, ammo preference, etc. I'll of course post results as I get them, should be able to get the new Compact configuration to the range within the week
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]

This ought to last for the next month. Er...Maybe two weeks...
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Moved some things around in my schedule and got back to the range this evening to put the first rounds through the new Compact setup;

- Fired about 450 rounds total, with about 250 through the Compact configuration. Rounds were a mix of standard pressure 115/124/147gr FMJ and randomly selected JHP, plus some of the WWB 124gr NATO and a little bit of the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P for comparison

- Absolutely zero malfunctions of any kind through either configuration

- Being able to shoot the compensated and non-compensated setups side by side with the same ammo really puts the effectiveness of the comp into perspective. I very much appreciate the effect it's having, particularly on the hotter loads

- The Compact configuration ran reliably on every combination of bullet weight, pressure level, and ran all the JHP rounds just fine (as was expected from effectively a stock 9mm modern duty pistol). Personally, I liked the recoil profile and controllability of the standard pressure 124gr and 147gr loads the most

- I ran the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 115gr +P and +P+ rounds through the compensated setup, and they functioned flawlessly. I won't be changing to those as my preferred defensive load from the Critical Duty 124gr +P any time soon, but curiosity satisfied at least

My next step will be to get a selection of more standard pressure 124gr and 147gr JHP loads to do more reliability testing and down-select from the pool of reliable loads for my one or two preferred defensive rounds. As with the comped configuration though, it is nice to see that the pistol will run reliably on any load I happen to feed it.

Also - People look at you very skeptically when you disassemble your gun multiple times over on the line...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Well...Staying true to my nature of not being able to leave damn well enough alone, I went and bought a "minimalist" magwell for the Compact grip module;

This is the ANR Designs ANVL magwell and base pad for the P320. They say it will fit the standard Fullsize, Carry, and Compact grip modules with the Medium grip circumference.

Attaches by press-fit and retains with a screw through the lanyard hole in the backstrap of the grip module. Unlike other magwells on the market, this one requires no permanent modification to your grip module and is easily removable by removing the set screw.

The magwell only adds about 1/8-1/4" of length to the bottom of the rear of the grip module, which should allow it to remain fairly concealable;

I've only just received and installed this new part so I will have to do further testing but so far I like how it helps my grip stay in place on the Compact grip module and gives my pinky finger something more substantial to leverage against. I will of course be testing this new addition thoroughly both at the range and for how well it conceals over the next couple of weeks and will report back with any issues or observations.

Of note, the basepad to be used with the magwell does not extend the capacity of the magazine (in this case, 15 rounds); it just replaces the factory plastic basepad which does not work with the ANVL magwell
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Another trip to the range is in order for this afternoon. I'm interested to see how the addition of the magwell to the Compact grip module changes the feel during shooting. I will report back on any interesting findings, of course
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Back from the range, with unfortunately not as much of an update as I was hoping to have;

About two magazines into testing the Compact configuration the front lip of the magwell slipped off of the front of the grip module...I  cleared the gun, hammered the magwell against the table at the range a couple times and went back to shooting - And then it slipped off again. So, while I did shoot another 250 rounds today, the majority was just through the compensated setup with the X-Series grip module and magwell (which has stayed solid throughout all my testing and again functioned flawlessly today).

Got home and tried removing and resetting the magwell on the Compact grip module, including tapping it fairly firmly with a rubber mallet more than a few times. It seems to be much more firmly seated on the grip module now, as I can't pry the front of the magwell off of the front of the grip with my hand. I will have to try another range trip soon to get a proper amount of testing done.

I may reach out to ANR Designs before then to make sure there's not some extra step or trick I'm missing to get the magwell seated properly. For now unfortunately that's all I've got for everyone...
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
AHA! Heard back from ANR Designs;

"Sorry to hear you experienced some issues with the magwell. From the issues you are describing it sounds like we sent the wrong screw with the magwell. I am sending you the correct screw today. I apologize for the error."

And a tracking number was sent just a few minutes after. Refreshingly good customer service from them!
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#14]
https://youtu.be/shdhVPc3Ivg

Concerning...

Problem solved
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I was having a bit of a slow, relaxed Saturday morning, so I decided to sit down and take stock on how this project has developed over the last few months. When I first purchased the P320, my goal was simply to build myself what I considered the ideal defensive pistol using modern methodologies and technologies. As I worked on the project and acquired more and more parts, though, the allure of modularity took hold and it's resulted in what amounts to my personal version of a "modular handgun system";

For anyone who's curious what approximately $4,000 looks like in P320 form, there's your answer.

The capability and adaptability of this platform really is something that's become quite impressive to me. I set out to build one gun - Now I have as many pistols as my imagination can create;

Thank you to all who have followed along and provided feedback/opinions/constructive criticism thus far, and I hope everyone continues to follow along - I have a feeling this is just the beginning for this incredible little blaster...
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I am having some dastardly thoughts for further iterations of this project, involving Faxon Firearms, Jagerwerks, Revolution Concepts, Boresight Solutions, Apex Tactical, Range18, and one of the X-Five grip modules...

My bank account can't keep up with everything I want to do to this platform
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a block of unexpected free time this evening and decided to take a trip to the range. With tonight's shooting accounted for, the system as a whole has just ticked over the 2,000 round mark - And as has become the norm, no malfunctions to speak of with the operating systems of either setup.

I am, however, further disappointed with the ANR Design magwell on the Compact grip module. Once again it took less than one magazine before the front lip of the magwell began sliding off the front of the grip module;

The magwell had been re-seated with a few firm taps from a rubber mallet and ANR had sent a replacement set screw thinking they might have shipped out the incorrect screw. I followed their instructions exactly in attaching the magwell before this shooting trip. I'm inclined to believe that the profile of the end of the P320's grip module (no protuding ledge for a magwell to bite into as on a Glock) makes it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to attach a magwell without the use of some kind of epoxy, as Springer Precision does with their P320 magwells. At this time, I believe my options are to either ditch the magwell on the Compact grip module entirely, or get some epoxy to help it hold on. Since I now know that the Compact grip module conceals well enough even with the magwell, I will likely opt to permanently attach it by way of epoxy.

The magwell very much DOES aid in reload speed and gives the grip a much more secure feel in the hand, so in that aspect it works as it should and I can recommend it. But, it would seem in order for it to stay on it does require being permanently attached to a grip module, which is not how it's advertised
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Did a bit of research and my suspicions have been confirmed - Part of the permanent modification that Springer does to the grip module in attaching their magwell is to machine a small ledge into the front of the bottom of the grip module, which gives their magwell something to bite onto. No ledge on the front of the grip means nothing for the magwell to catch on means it won't stay on.

I'll be purchasing a Springer ESP magwell and sending in the Compact grip module for their installation this week
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice work, this has been interesting to follow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice work, this has been interesting to follow.
View Quote
Thank you! Much more to come
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#21]
While I'm changing out parts for (in my opinion) superior alternatives, I've decided to swap my Springer Precision base pads for some of Taran Tactical's new P320 pads. When I first started compiling parts for this project, Springer Precision was really the only name in the game putting out quality extended base pads for the P320, particularly ones that would work with the X-Series magwells. TTI however recently released a version of their legendary Firepower base pads for the P320 which are also compatible with the X-Series magwell, so it's time to upgrade.

Should result in the same capacity in both lengths (23- and 27-rounds), but in my opinion toolless attachment/removal and no modifications required to the magazine body makes the TTI extensions a better choice
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]
The Compact grip module is in the mail and off to Springer for installation of their ESP magwell
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Same capacity confirmed, 23 and 27 with TTI base pads and Grams Engineering spring/follower kits
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Also as a bit of an experiment, I purchased one of TTI's thinner P320 extensions as well. These are intended to fit the OEM 21-round magazines while still fitting a USPSA 140mm magazine gauge. On those magazines, it bumps up the capacity by two rounds to 23 (same as the OEM 17-round magazines with the larger base pads, which are also intended for the 140mm gauge). I however have it added to the Compact 15-round magazine; it still acts as a +2 extension, meaning the Compact magazine now holds 17 rounds (with less additional length than the ANR Designs ANVL base pad which didn't extend the capacity at all). I'll have to wait until my Compact grip module comes back from Springer to see if this setup is compatible with their ESP magwell, but I suspect it will be...
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
A couple of questions after going back through this thread, and looking at the parts list you had up originally:

1. After having the Bar-sto barrel fitted have you had any issues swapping back and forth between the different modules/frames?
2. Why did you chose the short compensator instead of the open?
3. It seems as if you’re also intending to stay USPSA compliant. Which divisions are you targeting.

I’ve got a P320 full size and this has sparked some ideas for me. I’ve still got my 25% coupon from the upgrade to burn.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A couple of questions after going back through this thread, and looking at the parts list you had up originally:

1. After having the Bar-sto barrel fitted have you had any issues swapping back and forth between the different modules/frames?
2. Why did you chose the short compensator instead of the open?
3. It seems as if you’re also intending to stay USPSA compliant. Which divisions are you targeting.

I’ve got a P320 full size and this has sparked some ideas for me. I’ve still got my 25% coupon from the upgrade to burn.
View Quote
1. No, the top end with the Bar-Sto barrel fits and functions perfectly on both grip modules and has never had issues with the FCU.

2. Two reasons; first, I wanted the length of the compensator to approximately match the length of the X300U flashlight bezel (admittedly for subjective aesthetic reasons, mostly), and I wanted to retain the ability to shoot factory standard-pressure ammo through the compensated setup. Springer's open P320 comp does provide more effective compensation than the shorty, but it requires the use of +P/+P+/handloaded Major PF ammo to function properly.

3. I have no intention to build this gun to any particular USPSA division, but I recognize that many of the components I'm utilizing have certain applications for competition use and some of the members following will be interested in the components from that perspective
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:Whoever had the idea to comp and RDS a P229SAO... That's an awesome idea. It would look great and probably shoot very well.
View Quote
Presumably Sig will have a RX version of the P229 SAO Legion out some time this year. After that it's just a matter of a Silencerco barrel and a TBRC M&P comp...
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]
It seems like you are getting the full value out of the modularity of the design, and it’s great to see.

Please, can someone Roland a 229 SAO and post pics so that I don’t have to?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Continuing the theme of this project that "options are always a good thing", I just placed an order for another T1C holster, this one for the X300U+comp setup. Should get it in another couple weeks right around when the Compact grip module gets back from Springer...
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#31]
And in today's surprise, I just got a shipping notification and tracking number from Springer Precision! Turnaround there was unexpectedly quick, which seems to be becoming the norm from them. Compact grip module with properly fitted magwell will be in-hand sooner than expected!
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#32]

The small TTI base pad is compatible with the Springer magwell. Further thoughts/initial impressions later today when I have time
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Alright, had a chance to spend some time with this after work and have some additional thoughts to share. First off, it's fairly subjective but I do much prefer how the Springer magwell feels in my hand over the prior ANVL magwell. The geometry is much more natural and it does a very good job of forcing my hand higher on the grip of the gun;

The magwell also fits the shape of the grip module much better, and Springer sands the polymer of the grip's funnel so that the transition between the magwell and the polymer grip is much smoother

The Springer magwell is if anything slightly more compact than the ANVL magwell, and conceals just as well in the T1C Agis as did the ANVL.

I'll have to get to the range and do some livefire to know for certain, but doing dryfire/practice draws at home I may honestly prefer the Compact grip with this magwell over the larger X-Series grip; I like being able to apply additional leverage with my stronghand pinky finger directly to the magwell as opposed to the pinky of my support hand resting on the magwell, as is the case with the X-Series grip setup.

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Range time this evening, I'm sure I'll have more to report after that!
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Back from the range with some rather surprising results to report. Shot another 300 rounds, which brings the system over the 2,500 total round mark. Shot a mix of the WWB 124gr NATO and Sig 124gr standard pressure FMJ. As always, no malfunctions to report. Testing was done by keeping as many variables as constant as possible - Shoot a couple magazines through the Compact grip module, then switch the comped top end and X300U over to the X-Carry grip module for a couple magazines, then back;

- The Springer magwell stayed rock solid right where it was supposed to be, as expected.

- Surprisingly, this initial testing would seem to indicate I can control the gun better with the Compact grip module. Something about the geometry of the Springer magwell and how my strong hand locks in place between the magwell and beavertail makes the gun not move at all once I've acquired my firing grip. With the fullsize X-Carry grip, I would occasionally have to adjust my grip between shots - I never once had to alter my grip on the Compact module.

- I control the recoil of the gun better with the Springer magwell as well. I believe this is a result of being able to directly apply leverage to the magwell with the pinky finger of my strong hand, as opposed to the X-Carry grip where the pinky of my support hand rests on the magwell and can't apply the same amount/type of immobilizing torque to the gun. To qualify this statement - with the X-Carry grip and compensated top end, the dot jumps up under recoil, disappears out of the window for a very brief moment, before settling back into place on the target. With the Compact grip+Springer magwell, the dot still jumps a bit due to recoil - but it never leaves the window of the optic before settling back on the target, which allows me to track it much better between shots.

- I can reach the magazine release on the Compact grip module without breaking my grip on the gun. With the X-Carry module, I have to twist the gun a bit in my hand in order to reliably release the magazine, which then requires re-adjusting back to my solid shooting grip after a magazine change.

Given these observations, and given the ability to very easily conceal the gun with the Compact grip module (even with the Springer magwell), I may decide to leave the gun set up as the "daywalking vampire"; compensated top end, Surefire X300U, Compact grip module, Springer magwell. If I can operate the gun and manage recoil better, AND the setup is easily concealed, I'm not sure it makes much sense to keep using the X-Carry grip module at this point. I'll of course be doing further testing over the next couple weeks to confirm this suspicion.

On a side note, with tonight's range trip done I've now burned through the initial 1,000 rounds of WWB 124gr NATO I purchased. Time for another bulk order...
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#36]
After a bit of additional dryfire, practice draws, and practice drills at home comparing the differences between the Compact grip module w/ Springer magwell and the X-Carry grip, I am confident enough in my preference for the Compact grip module that I have sold off the X-Carry module.

Something about the combination of the Compact grip and the ESP magwell just works right with my hands. I'm able to control and operate the pistol better, and it feels vastly more ergonomic to me. Not to mention the benefit of making the whole gun concealable, which wouldn't have ever been possible with the larger X-Carry grip.

For me personally, the Compact grip with the magwell is the way to go for this pistol
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I realized today I'm still (im)patiently waiting on the steel shroud kit for the Romeo1 from Optics Planet...Updated expected shipping date now says two weeks out - We'll see how accurate that ends up being
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Had some time off today and spent a bit reflecting on this project and where to go from here. When I first purchased this pistol, my goal was to build the most capable defensive handgun platform utilizing modern components and practices. In this, the compensated Compact grip module format, I believe I've accomplished that goal.

This is the most accurate, softest shooting, most ergonomic, most broadly capable handgun I have ever owned, all while being comfortably concealable under even the lightest of shirts. The gun feels like it was crafted to fit my hands specifically. Using a combination of the 15+2 round magazine and a 17+6 round spare mag, I'm easily able to comfortably carry 40 rounds in total with me on a daily basis, concealed. I will be on the lookout for other parts and components to try out as the aftermarket support for this platform continues to grow, but as far as the basic equation is concerned I don't think I can get much better than this configuration.

So what's left to do? Build an identical redundant pistol as a backup and shoot the hell out of both of them, of course. I can hear my bank account screaming already...
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I re-read this and didn't see any mention of the ported/compensated slide top.

What's up with that?   Where'd you source that and tell us more about that please.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I re-read this and didn't see any mention of the ported/compensated slide top.

What's up with that?   Where'd you source that and tell us more about that please.
View Quote
You're referring to the window cutout on the top of the slide? That's standard for the X-Carry model P320, comes like that from the factory;

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Got a couple of shipping notifications in fairly rapid succession today, more good stuff on the way...
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You're referring to the window cutout on the top of the slide? That's standard for the X-Carry model P320, comes like that from the factory;

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/custom/product/p320-x-carry-lightning-cuts-x-ray-front-sight.jpg
View Quote
Interesting.  Did not know that.

Purely aesthetic?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Did not know that.

Purely aesthetic?
View Quote
It also helps offset some of the additional weight if/when you mount an optic to the slide, but otherwise yes it's purely for looks. There's no additional barrel porting associated with that location. You certainly could get ports added to your barrel there by a gunsmith, but mine is not - Just the thread-on compensator for gas redirection
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for taking on this project and thanks for all the updates.

Since getting back from our firearms instructor refresher class, I'm been interested in optimizing my duty gun, a  P320rx compact.  The class, while acknowledging that the fed LEO curriculum is the usual institutional "10 years behind the times" got me thinking more about grip and follow up.  This as opposed to "front sight, front sight."  The senior instructors all came from a competition background and we worked some insightful drills.

I was spitballing and looking at trying out an X carry grip but now you got me thinking about keeping the compact medium and adding a magwell.  Off to do some more research but I'm thinking - to minimize downtime - epoxying the tooless magwell.  Just wish I didn't have to buy new base plates.

Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I would HIGHLY suggest going with the Springer ESP magwell and sending in your grip module to have them attach it. Part of what they do is to cut a small notch in the bottom of the front strap of the grip module which a small tooth on the front of the inside of the magwell interfaces with and uses to help lock it in place. The ANR Designs magwell does not have a similar tooth to bite into the grip module and therefore would be much more prone to slipping off the grip module under hard use, even with epoxy.

If you're worried about downtime, you could always purchase a separate Compact grip module (they're only about $40 each) and send that one off to Springer for their magwell. That way you still have at least one grip module and a shootable gun while you're waiting for the magwell installation
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Tier 1 Concealed Axis Slim makes for a high-quality gun bucket
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I would HIGHLY suggest going with the Springer ESP magwell and sending in your grip module to have them attach it. Part of what they do is to cut a small notch in the bottom of the front strap of the grip module which a small tooth on the front of the inside of the magwell interfaces with and uses to help lock it in place. The ANR Designs magwell does not have a similar tooth to bite into the grip module and therefore would be much more prone to slipping off the grip module under hard use, even with epoxy.

If you're worried about downtime, you could always purchase a separate Compact grip module (they're only about $40 each) and send that one off to Springer for their magwell. That way you still have at least one grip module and a shootable gun while you're waiting for the magwell installation
View Quote
Yeah.  That makes sense.

Based on your experience I think what I'll do is pick up an X Carry grip then send out my current compact grip.  That way I can try both.  The secondary market won't be too bad for whichever ak decide to unload.

Thank you Sir.

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah.  That makes sense.

Based on your experience I think what I'll do is pick up an X Carry grip then send out my current compact grip.  That way I can try both.  The secondary market won't be too bad for whichever ak decide to unload.

Thank you Sir.
View Quote
That would be my suggestion. If you find you like the X-Carry grip better, it's easy enough to source one of the X-Series magwells and the way those are designed they truly are a bolt-on, non-permanent modification. In my experience shooters with smaller hands will be better served with the standard Compact grip module with the Springer ESP magwell, while those with larger hands will like the X-Series grip and magwell better. But easy enough to try both and sell whichever you don't prefer.

Happy to help!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#49]
1,100 more rounds of 124gr NATO pistol food delivered today.

Still in-transit;

- Additional 15-round mags
- TTI +2 base pads for those mags
- Romeo1 shroud kits
- A special something from Apex Tactical...
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Your Romeo1 shroud kit has shipped or still waiting fulfillment at the vendor?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top