Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2002 3:52:53 PM EDT
As a lefty I feel that the Sigs are very poorly designed for those of us who are southpaws.  This is not a flame, because I respect the sigs, and consider them to be some of the finest handguns on the market.

I have a fair share of trigger time behind 220s and have always wanted a 229 for myself, but everytime I go out with the intention of purchasing one, I am turned of by the lack of ambi features.  Today, I went to the store, and again, I turned the 229 down.  The decocker and slide lock are very hard to manipulate, but I can live with that.  I am however very uncomfortable with the placement of the mag release, as my trigger finger crosses right over it.  I am concerned that this would be very easily activated under stress.

Soo, I would like the experiences of those of you who are lefties and sig users.  Any tips or tricks?  I really want that 229, but I don't want to purchase a firearm that I am not 100% comfortable.

Oh and learning to shoot righty isn't a practical option.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple more questions.

I am considering the 228 and 229.  I was wondering what is the capacity of preban 228 mags and 229 mags.

Also, what kind of availability and what price should I expect?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm nearly positive that the mag release can be switched from right to left farily easily.  That's why the mags themselves ahve catch holes on each side, so the mag release will work from either side of the gun.  Pretty sure it's a simple task you can do yourself.  At least it is on a M9 Beretta.

I'll look in one of my Sig manuals to see for sure.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Pre-ban P228 and P229 mags in 9mm are 13rds.  Pre-ban P229 mags in .40/.357 are 12rds.  The P228 and P229 in 9mm will accept P226 mags (15-20rd for factory) though they stick out from the bottom of the grip.  I think the P226 .40/.357 mag will not work in a P229 in .40/.357.

Factory mags aren't cheap.  Pre-ban P228 mags are in the neighborhood of $60 each or more.  P226 mags are cheaper, especially used ones.  20rd factory mags were expensive before the ban.  Now they are beyond reason.  Mec-gar pre-bans run a bit cheaper, and they are every bit as good a mag as a Sig factory.  Mec-gar now supplies Sig factory mags for most of their production.  Aftermarket mags blow for the most part.  There's some decent ones I use for shooting competition and training, so I don't wear out my factory mags, and the work well.  The shinny Pro-mag P228's work OK, but the metal's softer and they wear out in the mag catch area and you start haveing problems sooner or later.  I would not carry a Sig without factory or Mec-gar mags.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, couldn't find my Sig manual.  I now remember I shipped it with a Sig I sold long ago (to afford an upgrade to a better condition Sig).  So you're on your own for figuring out how to do it, but I'm sure you can switch the mag release to either side.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont know if its in the manual, but if it is you can download one from sigsauer.com

qwk
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Ross, thank you very much for the info.  I checked out the Sig webpage and in their FAQ  they mentioned that a lefty mag release was available.  Not sure how difficult of a swap it is, but they recommend using an armorer to do it, of course.

Good to hear about the mags being interchangeable with their bigger brothers.  Looks like I might have to start shopping again...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ross, thank you very much for the info.  I checked out the Sig webpage and in their FAQ  they mentioned that a lefty mag release was available.  Not sure how difficult of a swap it is, but they recommend using an armorer to do it, of course.

Good to hear about the mags being interchangeable with their bigger brothers.  Looks like I might have to start shopping again...

The Mag Release is reversible, left/right.  I'll try and get someone to send me the file to do it, and post.  It's not another release, but the same one reverses.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe this will help (sorry for the big picture).

Remove the magazine catch (step 2) by depressing magazine catch stop with a small jeweler’s screwdriver or straightened out paper clip.  Beware of loosing small parts!

Before you remove the trigger bar spring (step 3), note where it’s tail end engages on the trigger bar for correct reassembly (it DOESN’T go in the hole!) .

You may need to use a tool to remove the support plate (step 4) – it slides backwards.  If so, and you use something steel, you may scratch the plate.  If this is going to bother you, use a plastic punch or a screwdriver with a piece of duct tape covering the tip.

When reinstalling the magazine catch stop (step 6), make sure the tit is facing the magazine well – see bottom photo.  If you accidentally insert this backwards, you MIGHT be able work it around with the tip of an X-acto knife.  I’ve seen magazine catches drilled out to correct this mistake.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top