Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 1:59:54 PM EDT
Anyone see this before? I bought this 220 used and have fallen in love with it, but it's started to develop this issue. I replaced the extractor (yes, the slide is dinged, but it was dinged before I replaced the extractor so don't bother me about it ) and the problem still happened.

And no, before anyone says it, I'm not limp-wristing it.

It mostly seems to happen with ACT mags but it's also happened with factory SIG mags. Last week it happened quite a few times; maybe 5 or 6 times through 300 rounds. This time, only 100 rounds, but it also did happen once. The ACT mags are brand new, and the SIG mags (one of them new, two of them came with the gun) are all properly sprung, so it's not a mag spring issue.

It's a shame because it's got a fantastic DA trigger and it does shoot great, so much so that I was considering using it as a carry gun, until this manifested.

Clearing the jam is just locking the slide back and dropping the mag; basically it looks like the round pops out and it sort of double-feeds; the slide is stopped on the bottom round in the photos.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
1st thing i do with a feeding issue is polish up the feed ramp. then go from there. Im not sure on the 220 though i have had pretty good luck with mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1st thing i do with a feeding issue is polish up the feed ramp. then go from there. Im not sure on the 220 though i have had pretty good luck with mine.
View Quote
Yep.  I would try polishing the feed ramp first and make sure there's no burs on it or that it isn't super dirty.

OP, do you know if the recoil spring in the gun is the factory spring or one somebody changed out?  Also, what kind of rounds were you shooting.  On occasions I have heard of P220s having feeding issues with hollow points.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The recoil, extractor, slide catch, and decocker springs were all replaced when I bought the gun with new factory Sig replacements.

The feed ramp is integral to the barrel, and the barrel has been in the gun since it was made in 2008. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need "polishing"...that's sadly such an old wive's tale, I'm honestly surprised it's still a thing these days That might have been an issue on wartime USGI M1911A1s that had feed ramps that were finished/parked after the pistol was completed...and that's at best a maybe. There's no burrs or other issues with the feed ramp.

More than that, if you look at the photos...this isn't a feeding problem in that the round isn't going into the chamber. It's a feeding issue in that more than one round is trying to be chambered at the same time.

It also happened with a SIG Factory threaded barrel that I dropped into it for testing...so two different barrels, one came with the gun from the factory and the other a brand new manufacture drop in.

The ammo was ball.

It extracts and ejects fine. It just somehow manages to bounce a round out of the mag and half way into the chamber before the slide gets to the next round in the mag. It smells of a magazine issue, and it seem to primarily happens with ACT mags, but it's also happened once with factory SIG mags, and all the SIG mags are marked 45ACP 220-1 on the body...so I'm a little puzzled. I replaced the extractor with the latest rev thinking it might be somehow letting the round go before chambering but looking at the misfeed some more, I'm not seeing how that's physically possible...in order for the slide to be in contact with the round in the top of the mag, the round on top of that round must have come out of the mag before the slide made it that far. It's a very odd issue and I'm hoping someone has seen it before...

Edited to add - every time it's happened it's either been the next to last round in the mag (so round 7 does it), or the round before that (so round 6); it's always been towards the end of the mag.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I didn't mean "polish" I meant to just clean the feed ramp and make sure there's no signs of wear on it that'd be causing an issue.

That said, I'd buy a Mec-Gar magazine and run a bunch of rounds through your gun with the Mec-Gar and see if that helps.  I've never had a feeding issue with my P220 factory mags.  Also, this is a smaller thing but make sure the rails on the gun are well lubed.  It's most likely not related to the issue at all (there is a small chance, maybe), but Sigs like to run a bit wet.  If you have dry rails on it you may want to lube them up a bit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, gun was spotless each time it went out; hell, after the first range trip I put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour just to make sure there wasn't any crud left behind from the previous owner, in case that was causing any issues. I cleaned the frame by hand (aluminum and ultrasonic cleaners don't mix) but it was detail-stripped and everything else that wasn't an aluminum alloy went into the bath, and came out spotless. The only thing I didn't remove from the frame was the magazine release; I didn't feel like dealing with that

I've always greased the rails on Sigs I've owned...it was well-lubed, believe me

I didn't know Mec-Gar made P220 mags? I don't think they do...ACT makes mags, as does Armscorp believe it or not, but the 220 is one gun that MecGar doesn't make mags for...

This doesn't happen to me with my M11A1 in 9mm, nor my 10mm P220...just this 45 one, and I don't know if it's just a basket case that needs to go back to Sig or if it's something that's got a cure and I just haven't hit it yet...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup, gun was spotless each time it went out; hell, after the first range trip I put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour just to make sure there wasn't any crud left behind from the previous owner, in case that was causing any issues. I cleaned the frame by hand (aluminum and ultrasonic cleaners don't mix) but it was detail-stripped and everything else that wasn't an aluminum alloy went into the bath, and came out spotless. The only thing I didn't remove from the frame was the magazine release; I didn't feel like dealing with that

I've always greased the rails on Sigs I've owned...it was well-lubed, believe me

I didn't know Mec-Gar made P220 mags? I don't think they do...ACT makes mags, as does Armscorp believe it or not, but the 220 is one gun that MecGar doesn't make mags for...

This doesn't happen to me with my M11A1 in 9mm, nor my 10mm P220...just this 45 one, and I don't know if it's just a basket case that needs to go back to Sig or if it's something that's got a cure and I just haven't hit it yet...
View Quote
My apologies.  I'm a dolt and was just looking up P220 Mec-Gar mags before I posted and didn't notice them on the site.  I may need my head checked

Yeah, maybe your best option is to send it back to Sig and hopefully they take care of it at no cost to you.  My P220 Elite has run flawlessly and had no issues (knock on wood).  To add to that you said you replaced a bunch of the internals and issues are still popping up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The recoil, extractor, slide catch, and decocker springs were all replaced when I bought the gun with new factory Sig replacements.

The feed ramp is integral to the barrel, and the barrel has been in the gun since it was made in 2008. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need "polishing"...that's sadly such an old wive's tale, I'm honestly surprised it's still a thing these days That might have been an issue on wartime USGI M1911A1s that had feed ramps that were finished/parked after the pistol was completed...and that's at best a maybe. There's no burrs or other issues with the feed ramp.

More than that, if you look at the photos...this isn't a feeding problem in that the round isn't going into the chamber. It's a feeding issue in that more than one round is trying to be chambered at the same time.

It also happened with a SIG Factory threaded barrel that I dropped into it for testing...so two different barrels, one came with the gun from the factory and the other a brand new manufacture drop in.

The ammo was ball.

It extracts and ejects fine. It just somehow manages to bounce a round out of the mag and half way into the chamber before the slide gets to the next round in the mag. It smells of a magazine issue, and it seem to primarily happens with ACT mags, but it's also happened once with factory SIG mags, and all the SIG mags are marked 45ACP 220-1 on the body...so I'm a little puzzled. I replaced the extractor with the latest rev thinking it might be somehow letting the round go before chambering but looking at the misfeed some more, I'm not seeing how that's physically possible...in order for the slide to be in contact with the round in the top of the mag, the round on top of that round must have come out of the mag before the slide made it that far. It's a very odd issue and I'm hoping someone has seen it before...

Edited to add - every time it's happened it's either been the next to last round in the mag (so round 7 does it), or the round before that (so round 6); it's always been towards the end of the mag.
View Quote
When I bought my P226 .40 tacops, it was failing to feed periodically.  I called Sig and sent it in (great CS by the way).  When I got it back, guess what the invoice said?  "Polish feed ramp".  It has run great ever since.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn, sorry to hear this.. I have had several 220's in the past years including the West German that I carry now and never had this kind of issue. I would call SIG and get her into them especially before the 320 guns syart flocking in.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that today, the only issue is this gun was born in 2008 and I bought it used, after it passed through who knows how many hands. I have no idea if they'll honor a warrantee claim on it. And...it's got a fantastic pull. I'm afraid they'll replace parts and fuck it up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top