Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2002 12:19:16 AM EDT
I was at my dept qualifications today when my P220 .45 malfunctioned twice in 50 rounds.  It was a failure to feed and was quickly cleared.  We used 230gr ball witch functioned flawlessly in my M1911 (off duty).  I noticed my recoil spring is painted green, is this aftermarket?  (gun was used)  the mags appear perfect and are factory SIG.  I was thinking that maybe the recoil spring was too stiff?  Any other suggestions?  I dont like having a duty pistol I dont trust to function 100%.  I always hear about Sig reliability but right now I'll pack my Springfield M1911 anytime I can it's as reliable as a hammer!  I need the same out of this P220!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
FTF is without a doubt the least common problem with a 220. I addition to the questions asked I'd like to add a couple more.

Did it happen with only one mag? If so, the mag spring or follower may be damaged.

You say that you are a 1911 shooter. If that is the case, I bet you shoot with your right thumb high. On a 220, it's real easy to let your right thumb ride up on the slide catch lever. That can slow down the slide and cause FTF and failure to lock after the final round. Get someone to watch as you shoot and see if that thumb is riding up on the slide catch lever.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The P220 is fairly new to me, I havent shot it a whole lot because frankly it isnt as nice a shooter as the M1911.  We were firing NEW factory winchester 230gr ball ammo.  I dont believe I was causing any stoppage with my thumb.  I suspect the recoil spring myself but did not have the chance to run alot of ammo through specific mags to see if it's all of them or just a bad one.  I suppose the easiest method to find out is replace the spring and go shoot it some more.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that this is silly, but get someone to check that thumb. The reason is... We see this all the time over at SiGForum, especially from 1911 folks that shoot thumb high.

I got the t-shirt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Something even more basic than the points listed...did you clean & lube it?  I'd suggest Rem Oil.

I have a friend who is notorious about not cleaning/lubing his (blasphemy, I know) but once lubed its flawless.

Until I bought the SIG220ST, my 1911 was the most accurate AND reliable...now its a very close competition.

The SIG220 should be a tackdriver for you also...its my first choice for a combat firearm...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top