Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 10:10:50 AM EDT
I went back to the range Sunday to enjoy my Sig 220st.  I used a rest at 25 yards and it seems that if I use a six o'clock hold, the bullets hit to the left.  I tried aiming at where a round target would be if it were next to the shoot-n-see target and hit the center!  Woohoo for tyro me!

My question is, is it worth it to get the sight pusher for the Sig, or should I just get a gunsmith to push my sights to the right?

While I was there, I talked to a guy with a Mac10.  Select fire, no less.  I was hoping he'd let me fire it but no such luck.  I was too shy to ask -- it seems that the range etiquette dictates that if someone sees you're interested, usually he'll offer.  He let me hold it so I could admire his eotech sight.  Of course the club doesn't allow automatic fire so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad.  I felt like shouting, Look at me, I'm a drug dealer!

Of course, now I want a Mac.  Someone please tell me that's foolish. h.gif

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I went back to the range Sunday to enjoy my Sig 220st.  I used a rest at 25 yards and it seems that if I use a six o'clock hold, the bullets hit to the left.  I tried aiming at where a round target would be if it were next to the shoot-n-see target and hit the center!  Woohoo for tyro me!

My question is, is it worth it to get the sight pusher for the Sig, or should I just get a gunsmith to push my sights to the right?

While I was there, I talked to a guy with a Mac10.  Select fire, no less.  I was hoping he'd let me fire it but no such luck.  I was too shy to ask -- it seems that the range etiquette dictates that if someone sees you're interested, usually he'll offer.  He let me hold it so I could admire his eotech sight.  Of course the club doesn't allow automatic fire so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad.  I felt like shouting, Look at me, I'm a drug dealer!

Of course, now I want a Mac.  Someone please tell me that's foolish.

Thanks!

Don't do anything. Just wait.

Before you change anything you want to get gun broken in. Otherwise you'll make changes that will just dissappear as the gun settles in. Get between 1K and 2K rounds through it before you start changing things.

Trust me on that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Trust me on that.

Thank you, sir!  I do trust you, you're my virtual mentor.

You didn't tell me the Mac is a foolish gun to lust after.

So, what about aiming?  Should I try at 50 yards?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trust me on that.

Thank you, sir!  I do trust you, you're my virtual mentor.

You didn't tell me the Mac is a foolish gun to lust after.

So, what about aiming?  Should I try at 50 yards?

Start at the distance where you are most likely going to have to use it if it ever came to a defensive situation. Learn to control it at about five to seven yards. Once you've mastered the gun at that range, gradually move it further out.

I can tell you that a 220 will work out about as far as you want. I know some folk that have done some 100 yard shooting with one. Me, I can't even see that far so I don't worry about it.

As for lusting after a Mac, since they dropped their old OS in favor of UNIX, I'm kinda lusting after one too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a choice of 25 or 50 yards unless I go the IPSC or PPC (I think that's what it's called) route.

Would you recommend against getting adjustable sights installed?

I know you said to put many rounds through it first, but it seems somehow wrong to aim 6" to the right of anything I want to hit.

Also, are the magazines supposed to drop free?  Mine don't.

Yes, I like the new Macs, too.  If I hadn't spent a lot of money building the ultimate (for the first few months until it's horribly obsolete) gaming PC complete with Dolby surround speakers, I'd get one.

I have to concentrate on buying more exciting things, such as a washer and dryer.  And an aluminum ladder.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a choice of 25 or 50 yards unless I go the IPSC or PPC (I think that's what it's called) route.

Would you recommend against getting adjustable sights installed?

I know you said to put many rounds through it first, but it seems somehow wrong to aim 6" to the right of anything I want to hit.

Also, are the magazines supposed to drop free?  Mine don't.

Yes, I like the new Macs, too.  If I hadn't spent a lot of money building the ultimate (for the first few months until it's horribly obsolete) gaming PC complete with Dolby surround speakers, I'd get one.

I have to concentrate on buying more exciting things, such as a washer and dryer.  And an aluminum ladder.

Look around for a range that has the moveable targets. Most indoor ranges have them. Bring the target in until its about 10 to 20 feet away and practice there first. You may be surprised to see the target start to move over where you think they should be.

Hang loose. It will happen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#6]
My 225 was doing the same thing, shooting left. I hear that happens alot with SIG's and 99% of the time it's the shooters fault. I practice at 10 meters with homemade cardboard targets with 3" dia circles to aim at. I'm getting to the point now where I can get all 8 shots in that circle. But sometimes I find my self not concentrating on my grip and it happens again, shots off to the left. Check out SIGforum.com lots of good info there too!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Quib.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
You can check out a pic of my 225 with one of my targets from last Sunday, and a pic of the grip I use at my Webshots account.
community.webshots.com/user/quibbley1
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat!  

I should save my targets.  I don't get a nice grouping like that at all.  I still get the horizontal line, even using a rest.

Doesn't your thumb get hurt by the slide?  

That's a scary looking screwdriver!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can check out a pic of my 225 with one of my targets from last Sunday, and a pic of the grip I use at my Webshots account.

Just a hint. Looking at your grip I see those thumbs high. You need to watch that, maybe bring them down some. The problem is that with your grip you can hit the slide catch lever and cause a failure to lock open on the last shot.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I like to date and save my best target, kind of gives me a progress report to look back on. I still need alot of practice! I'd like to get that group in the middle more, but I'm doing better. I can shoot maybe three groups like this then I need a break to relax, if I push it and keep shooting they get shi**y again. But I believe it all lays with using the proper grip. The other photo is the type of grip I found works best for me so far, the slide don't hurt but the take down lever does after about 100 rounds. Makes the tip of my thumb alittle sore, but the fun of shooting my SIG outweights the pain! LOL!

Like my screwdriver yea! My favorite tool is the one hanging in the top right corner of the pic, everyone needs one of these hanging in their workshop/gun cleaning room!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:38:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a hint. Looking at your grip I see those thumbs high. You need to watch that, maybe bring them down some. The problem is that with your grip you can hit the slide catch lever and cause a failure to lock open on the last shot.

Thanks, I noticed that when I first saw this pic. Thats not actually me, I saved that pic from another site. But I don't leave my thumbs in that position I like to rest my left thumb against the take down lever. I found this style gives me a very tight grip, which I need to keep my groups tight and on center of my target. My right thumb lays over my left, helping keep pressure against the left thumb.

If anyone has more pics of different styles, please post em! I'm open for better styles!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top