Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 12:25:45 PM EDT
Just picked up my Legion SAO and wanted to give you guys my initial thoughts. I wanted to compare it to my TRP as many have compared the SAO trigger to that of a nice 1911.

Take up: the Legion take up is noticeably longer than the TRP. Easily 2-3 times the take up, but when you get to the wall you know it.

Pull: The TRP pull is slightly less to me than the SAO by maybe a pound or so.

Break: The TRP has just a little bit crisper break to me but not by very much.

Reset: this is where the SAO REALLY shines. Reset is insanely short and I can see how this would really help to shoot this pistol fast.

Triggers: the Flat trigger of the SAO feels very nice on the finger but it's hard to beat the straight pull back of the 1911.

Can't wait to shoot them back to back. SAO easily has the best reset of any pistol I have ever handled.

" />
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
May I ask what number sights your came with?

Mine came with 8/8 and I was just curious if that was normal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just picked up my Legion SAO and wanted to give you guys my initial thoughts. I wanted to compare it to my TRP as many have compared the SAO trigger to that of a nice 1911.

Take up: the Legion take up is noticeably longer than the TRP. Easily 2-3 times the take up, but when you get to the wall you know it.
View Quote

Exactly, except you won't know you hit that wall if you are firing quickly or under stress.  It would be one LONG trigger pull for the first shot.

Pull: The TRP pull is slightly less to me than the SAO by maybe a pound or so.
Break: The TRP has just a little bit crisper break to me but not by very much.
View Quote

It's so close I would need a gauge to tell the difference with confidence.
No question the TRP trigger to me feels much crisper.

Reset: this is where the SAO REALLY shines. Reset is insanely short and I can see how this would really help to shoot this pistol fast.
View Quote

Reset distance on the two I've held, seems very close.  The SAO has less resistance on the reset, where the TRP is not anywhere near the smoothness on the reset (if you slowly allow it to reset by finger pressure).  Again, while firing under stress or just shooting quickly, it would not be noticeable.

Triggers: the Flat trigger of the SAO feels very nice on the finger but it's hard to beat the straight pull back of the 1911.
View Quote

I have to agree.  The flat trigger would feel even nicer if the take-up was shortened to that of the TRP.  Then, I think it would be a moot point as to the straight back pull of the 1911 style trigger.  In addition to the above, the hammer seems to move slower.  I would love to know the time it takes for the hammer to strike the primer after it has been released compared to that of a TRP.

Can't wait to shoot them back to back. SAO easily has the best reset of any pistol I have ever handled.
View Quote

EXACTLY!  Things that I would add:

1) The grips are phenomenal.  I'm looking for more G10 goodies in my future.  The grips are not overly aggressive. It's very ergonomic and comfortable to hold.

2) The finish isn't perfect(magwell issue as seen before). Only time will tell how well it holds up, but I like the grey and black.

3) The slide release MAY be a tad too small.  I've read it was lowered to keep from accidentally dropping the slide on the last round.  It's a little tough for me to reach when the safety blocks it like it does.  I'll have to practice a bit.

4) 8 / 8 sights

Overall, the Legion P226 SAO is very impressive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May I ask what number sights your came with?

Mine came with 8/8 and I was just curious if that was normal.
View Quote

I'm curious as well.  so, bump.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I will check tonight on the sights and report back.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
8/8 on my 226 da/sa, I spoke with Sig about a couple things, that particular rep told me the 226's had a "combat sight picture", which in my opinion, the bullet lands just on top or right behind the front dot. I despise 6 o'clock holds, unless you're only going to shoot 25yd bullseyes all day. I want my bullet to go where the sights are.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked one up. Ordering a threaded barrel for it. Can't wait to run it with my Gemtech GM-9.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a beautiful looking pistol, good luck with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
While the trigger on the SAO may not be the same as a TRP (i have both), there are two big differences.

First, the Sig is 9mm, making it much softer shooting than a 1911 in .45.  Makes for speedy accuracy.

Second...magazine capacity.  Sig 15 round and optional 20 round magazines vs. the standard 7 or 8 round mags for 1911's.  

Apples to oranges, but for a modern combat/duty style single action pistol, the P226 SAO Legion has few equals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
My pistol also has 8-8 sights. Got a smoking deal I just couldn't pass up on this one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked mine up recently. Paid $1099.

I had the standard DA/SA Legion P226, and while it was nice, it just didn't do anything spectacular......this......this though........the trigger is special. Reset is scary short, and the trigger weight is maybe 4 pounds. I imagine it'll get a little under 4 after break-in.

Ordering a Silencerco Threaded Barrel and some 20 round mags for it. It'll be a host for one of my suppressors.

2016-04-22_10-12-50 by The One and Only "B"!, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice, I need to get a threaded barrel ordered up as well. They should have come withy the 18 rounds mags instead of the 15s.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If I was going to get one of the Legion pistols, that is the one I would want.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a SAO.  I did find a 229 and a 226.  The 229 was $1099 and the 226 was $1219 at 2 different LGS's near me.   I started to put the 229 on layaway but it really wasn't what I wanted.  Went back the next day and it was gone.

OP mind if I ask what you paid and what everyone is finding locally on prices on these?  Just wondering if the $1100 price point should be what they settle at.

Also, you mention the finish on the magwell, have you seen any finish wear on the rails yet just with the amount of shooting you have done?

Thank you...!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Haven't shot mine yet. As far as the finish goes it seems if it stays wet with oil it's a nice deep dark gray but if you wipe the oil of it becomes very light gray.

I paid $1000 out the door which I was told is basically dealer cost on these. I think if you find one at $1100 is a pretty good price.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was going to get one of the Legion pistols, that is the one I would want.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a SAO.  I did find a 229 and a 226.  The 229 was $1099 and the 226 was $1219 at 2 different LGS's near me.   I started to put the 229 on layaway but it really wasn't what I wanted.  Went back the next day and it was gone.

OP mind if I ask what you paid and what everyone is finding locally on prices on these?  Just wondering if the $1100 price point should be what they settle at.

Also, you mention the finish on the magwell, have you seen any finish wear on the rails yet just with the amount of shooting you have done?

Thank you...!
View Quote

My LGS sells all the Legion models for  $1099.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The more rounds I'm putting through mine, the more I am liking it...to the tune that it is now my favorite handgun by a decent margin.

BTW, my legion off a rest with duty ammo (speer 124) will do 5 round 1.5 inch groups.

Its very accurate, and as soon as I can take care of the sights, it will be in a duty holster ASAP.  I like it so much I will most likely be buying a second.

Unfortunately with the Dawson sights that they recommend, it shoots 4.5 inches high at 25, but the fact that it comes with 8/8 sights....makes sense mathematically when compared to 8/8 factory sights.  The Dawson recommended sights come with a proportionally shorter front when compared to the rear.  I will need to add a .030 higher front to compensate, gotta love their "perfect impact" policy.

I need to confirm this at an outdoor range as I tested at an indoor range (meaning its tough to ensure 100% that I am consistently seeing the top of the rear sight vs the serrations which are set a touch lower than the top of the rear), but I am very pleased with the accuracy.

Can anyone doing sights though check dimensions on the dovetail?  I feel that the Legion is different than the traditional P series, my Dawson front required quite a bit of fitting to get in there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice gun ain't it?  I've put over 3k rounds through mine with no hiccups.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top