Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 7:17:47 AM EDT
Seen a 228 at the gunshop without a decocking lever. No slot for one. Built in W. Germany. I don't know anything about sig's. They were asking $350 and it looked well used. Should I steer clear?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it's a Double Action Only model,
they don't have decocking levers.
Single/Double action 228s in my area are selling
for 449 w/1 13rnd preban factory mag.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seen a 228 at the gunshop without a decocking lever. No slot for one. Built in W. Germany. I don't know anything about sig's. They were asking $350 and it looked well used. Should I steer clear?

I don't know where your area is but it is probably a LE trade-in. They can be some of the best buys around. Often they will look terrible, lots of holster wear and scratches, but be almost brand new mechanically. They may only have a few hundred rounds through them (annual qualifying), not even broken in.

You can get one refinished by SiGArms for about $60.00.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#3]
oh. I kinda thought it was an LE trade. I was just weirded out by it not having lever. I didn't realize there were any made like that.

Since it's used they'll let me shoot it first.
Thanks for the input!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
That sounds like a good situation there Leveler...let's us know what happens.  We ned both a range report and word if you decide to buy it.  Good luck and glad to see you posting in the Sig Forum.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I test fired the 228 today. The gunshop gave me a target, 6 rounds of Wolf 9mm and let me use the range. DA only. I fired 3 mags of 2 rounds each, mainly for function and grouping.

Offhand at 50ft I got grouping of about 2 to 3 inches. At 25ft I got in the 10 ring. Function seemed fine.

I told him if he'd take $330 that I'd put it on layaway today. He said If I Paid in full today, I could have it for $300 out the door.

So, when he finished twisting my arm, I bought myself a Sig. It only came with a 10 round mag. How much sould a hi cap cost and what brand(Mecgar)? Is a 228 interchangeable with any others? Thanks for the input. I'll put it thru hell at the range next week after my "cool down" waiting period.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If I'm not mistaken, 226 mags work in the 228.
Gun-Fan is selling Sig Factory 226 mags,
preban 15 rounds for $45 each. Great price.
In my area (GA), the factory demo mags sell for $65 each, so $45 is a great deal.
I plan to get a couple, he has 15 mags.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=120450

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Leveler

You stole that puppy. And I do mean stole. You are a good $100 to $200 below the norm for a 228. Now get out there and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Going to pick it up today at lunch. I'll hit the range tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I checked the "Sig FAQs", very helpfull. The 226 mags will fit but will protrude from the bottom. The 228 & 229 mags are identical.

Ya, I think I got a good deal, just couldn't pass it up!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top