Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 11:11:47 PM EDT
I am picking up a used German P228, and looking to pickup some spare parts. Some of the parts descriptions say not for early models, but I am unable to find any info with regards to dates or serial numbers for the cut over timeline for what is considered early and current or recent.

Any suggestions or direction as to where to look so I can educate myself would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure you're looking at P228 parts?  I can't think of anything that changed other than the takedown lever, which can be changed old to new.  The P229, on the other hand, has gone through a change or two with FPPP styles.  P228 parts kit:  Parts Kit

Oh, I suppose they changed the mainspring too.  See parts: Mainspring Parts  I understand the E2 grips don't work with the old mainspring.

It might be easiest if you tell us what parts you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you sure you're looking at P228 parts?  I can't think of anything that changed other than the takedown lever, which can be changed old to new.  The P229, on the other hand, has gone through a change or two with FPPP styles.  P228 parts kit:  Parts Kit

Oh, I suppose they changed the mainspring too.  See parts: Mainspring Parts  I understand the E2 grips don't work with the old mainspring.

It might be easiest if you tell us what parts you're looking for.
View Quote

Thanks for the response!

I initially was looking at the spring kit at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511471/sig-sauer-parts-kit-sig-sauer-p228-9mm-luger?cm_vc=ProductFinding

and it had this disclaimer:

'Parts are made to the specifications of currently-manufactured handguns, not intended for use with older model Sig Sauers'

When I looked at TGS, I got a little more of a breakdown on what had changed, but was just curious as to when the change may have occurred... the 228 I am getting looks to have been made in 2002, and don't know if that is considered newer or older...

Thanks again for the help!

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot they also changed the trigger bar spring, but like the takedown lever, they're interchangable. The new ones have a loop. I guess some people have reported problems with certain grip panels and the new looped spring, but I don't know what grips interfere.

I honestly don't know when they changed the mainspring design. I'd be willing to bet the 2002 would have the new style, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. Frankly, I wouldn't change the mainspring unless you're having light primer strikes.  The parts kit you linked should be the same thing as the TGS link I provided. All those parts should work fine.

The only other thing I'll mention is when you change the breech block roll pins, make sure they're opposing each other at 6 & 12 o'clock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top