Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2014 7:56:25 PM EDT
Does anyone know if there is a P220 model that is stainless AND has a thumb safety? I prefer a safety on my carry pistols and I am really wanting a stainless p220. If not can the customs shop at sig do the work to convert?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The P220 Carry Elite and P220 Elite Stainless are both stainless frames and slides.

I bought a P220 SAO and hated it, so I switched it to DA/SA.  So in theory one can be switched from D/A to SAO.

It depends on the cut-out on the left side of the frame. See the cut in the second picture where the bottom of the tensioner for the safety is, if it looks like that it can be done.  You'll just need to see one of the pistols I mentioned with the left grip off.

This what it looks like now after being switched to DA/SA.

To switch over it needs a number of parts.  I put an ad on Sig forum and found someone who wanted to switch from DA/SA to SAO so we traded all the parts.

Whether of not Sig will do it I have no idea, I just know that in my case it could be and was done.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The p220 SAO is a Single Action Only p220 pistol with a thumb safety.  The slide is stainless, but the frame is alloy.

Your other option would be a p220 X-Six......which is SAO, all stainless, with a 6" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The P220 Carry Elite and P220 Elite Stainless are both stainless frames and slides.

I bought a P220 SAO and hated it, so I switched it to DA/SA.  So in theory one can be switched from D/A to SAO.

It depends on the cut-out on the left side of the frame. See the cut in the second picture where the bottom of the tensioner for the safety is, if it looks like that it can be done.  You'll just need to see one of the pistols I mentioned with the left grip off.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC00606.jpg

This what it looks like now after being switched to DA/SA.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC01237_zpsdb70b046.jpg

To switch over it needs a number of parts.  I put an ad on Sig forum and found someone who wanted to switch from DA/SA to SAO so we traded all the parts.

Whether of not Sig will do it I have no idea, I just know that in my case it could be and was done.  
View Quote

Interesting. I would be a little hesitant to start tinkering on my own, but that is an option to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The p220 SAO is a Single Action Only p220 pistol with a thumb safety.  The slide is stainless, but the frame is alloy.

Your other option would be a p220 X-Six......which is SAO, all stainless, with a 6" barrel.
View Quote

That barrel would probably be a little excessive for my purpose but besides that it looks like exactly what I need!
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That barrel would probably be a little excessive for my purpose but besides that it looks like exactly what I need!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a lot of barrel, and a lot of $ too.....with a MSRP of $2600.00, it's the Rolls Royce of p220's...

I've been looking for a used one for a while actually.  Already have the X-5 and X-6 in 9mm, and a p220 Match Stainless Elite (5" barrel but DA/SA) in .45acp.

The awesome thing about the X-6 p220 is that it has an adjustable trigger pull weight down to 2.3# (very custom 1911-like) and then the obvious sight radius that's nearly 10".

It shoots super soft and is stupid accurate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a lot of barrel, and a lot of $ too.....with a MSRP of $2600.00, it's the Rolls Royce of p220's...

I've been looking for a used one for a while actually.  Already have the X-5 and X-6 in 9mm, and a p220 Match Stainless Elite (5" barrel but DA/SA) in .45acp.

The awesome thing about the X-6 p220 is that it has an adjustable trigger pull weight down to 2.3# (very custom 1911-like) and then the obvious sight radius that's nearly 10".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure it shoots like a dream. I was shocked when I saw the price tag!
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were you -- and assuming that it is possible to convert a DA/SA to SAO as previously posted, I would buy a p220 Match Stainless Elite (lMSRP is $1370, but they can be found for about $1050).  Converting that to SAO would give you nearly all the benefits of the X-Five, minus the German hand fitting and no adjustable trigger.  I'm curious what the cost of the conversion would be.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I were you -- and assuming that it is possible to convert a DA/SA to SAO as previously posted, I would buy a p220 Match Stainless Elite (lMSRP is $1370, but they can be found for about $1050).  Converting that to SAO would give you nearly all the benefits of the X-Five, minus the German hand fitting and no adjustable trigger.  I'm curious what the cost of the conversion would be.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm definitely considering going that route. I don't need the adjustable trigger, and I am sure it would be a relatively cheap conversion after the gun is bought.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If what I have read in the past is correct you can go from SAO to DA/SA but not the other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top