Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 11:11:44 PM EDT
Wife is getting her ccw next month. Some time ago we had done some window shopping and she really liked the 238 but she shoots left handed and at the time there were no ambi models. Came across a 938 ambi with Hogue wraparounds at a good price and threw some money down. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. She's never complained of recoil but the only handgun she's shot has been my P228 which is a good bit larger and heavier than the 938.Were going up to the shop tomorrow to let her handle it. I don't doubt that she could handle the 9mm but she wont shoot as much if it's a brute. Any of you own/shot both? Should I just seek out a 238 ambi or let her harden up and choose the 9.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have fired my Dads Colt Mustang (older one) and own a 938. The 938 is a recoil monster, and is not fun to shoot for extended periods. My old lady can shoot her S&W Bodyguard 380 no problem, she takes no joy in shooting the 938 and she is not a recoil sensitive person....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've owned both. The 238 is gone and replaced with the 938. The 238 ran perfectly, as has the 938. Obviously the 238 is easier to shoot, but I don't find the 938 hard to shoot and it's even better with the extended magazine.  I think I shoot the 938 better since it's a little bit larger.  For me, having a 9mm as opposed to a 380 is well worth it. I imagine that if she likes the feel of one she will like the other as well. It will really come down to if your willing to deal with a little more recoil for a more effective round. For me it was a no brainer. The 938 is easy to conceal and carry, shoots 100% and is dead on, is 9mm, and I'm partial to 1911s as well. I vote for the 938 between the two hands down, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the 938 because I have been shooting a 1911 type pistol for 41 years and the controls are the same .  I find it very easy to shoot and accurate at self defense ranges . the question is does your wife have any experience with a 1911 pistol ? if not then you might want to go with a revolver or double action semi-auto . can you go to a range and let her try some different types of pistols?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife shoots my 938 about as good as I do. I bought her a 290RS which she also shoots well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]
My ccw is a P938, i love it but my wife hates shooting it, too much recoil for her little body frame. I got her a P238 and she loves it, just the right size grips and minimal recoil. Sure its no big bad 9mm but its close enough and will get the job done.

They have had P238 with ambi safetys for awhile now, maybe they just didnt have any at that particular store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top