Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 2:42:39 PM EDT
I've got a 226 which I bought new about 11 years ago.

It runs like a champ and probably has close to 5,000 rounds through it.

Never a hiccup, but the slide REALLY rattles when I shake the weap side to side.

Less noticeable when there's a full mag, but when it's empty, it's really noisy.

Anyone else have this "feature?"
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I was curious after reading this post...so I took out my 226 (W. German, circa 1985/86) and shook it and yeah, it rattles.  So does it little brother 225 of the same period and slide construction style.
So that made me even more curious and then I had to shake my 229 and 239 (new style slide)...yep, they rattle also, but not nearly as much???
Guess it's like my 1911's, loose but extremely reliable and that's what counts.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine do not rattle. This could be because I don't have anywhere near 5000 rounds through them yet. Have you noticed any change in accuracy? They do shoot really well don't they?

ARH
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've got a 226 which I bought new about 11 years ago.

It runs like a champ and probably has close to 5,000 rounds through it.

Never a hiccup, but the slide REALLY rattles when I shake the weap side to side.

Less noticeable when there's a full mag, but when it's empty, it's really noisy.

Anyone else have this "feature?"

That's not unusual. Remember, the slide has nothing to do with accuracy. Check to make sure there is no barrel play at battery and your ready to go.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My first Sig (a P226) I bought at a gunshow rattled worse than an Army .45.  I mean it was a police trade-in, was seriously worn in the finnish department, rattled like mad, it looked like hell, it just was plainly a high use gun.  I was working for a FFL friend of mine at the time and he had it on his table for $375.  Dozens of people looked at it because of the price.  I mean it was a darn good price for a darn good gun, but it wasn't a cherry specimen to say the least.  Several people came by several times, would play with it, go walking around to look at the $500 prices on the new/newer ones and come back, take it apart, etc.  He was getting worried when no one would buy it by the end of the day at that price.  I told him that I'd buy it at the end of the show if no one else did just to find out what the big deal was about Sigs.  

Well, I wound up with it and as worn out as it was, it shot like a champ.  I mean this worn out rattling gun drilled little small goups in targets better than most brand new guns (except other Sigs) and it would really hold it's own against a new one.  That sold me on Sigs, and I proceeded to accumulate way too many of the things, and sold that one off to upgrade to a later model with the "mud rails" on the frame that was in much newer condition.  Anyway, mine currently don't rattle, but when they start rattling, I'm not going to worry about it one bit.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... sold that one off to upgrade to a later model with the "mud rails" on the frame that was in much newer condition.  
Ross

"mud rails?"  never heard of such...
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine rattles too, not a big deal--still shoots like it was new, well close to new.  If the rattling bothers you alot, take it to a 'smith and have him lower/fit the rails.  Doesn't cost to much.  Myself, I would just asoon have the slide alittle loose, because mine lives in a filthy enviroment (usually rolling around somewhere on the floor of my vet pickup) and I don't get around to cleaning it very often (once a year, maybe).  It is generally caked in cow sh*t and much when I do find a need for it--but has never let me down--ammo, that is a different story, thank God for the second strike capability on at least one occasion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mine rattles too, not a big deal--still shoots like it was new, well close to new.  If the rattling bothers you alot, take it to a 'smith and have him lower/fit the rails.  Doesn't cost to much.  Myself, I would just asoon have the slide alittle loose, because mine lives in a filthy enviroment (usually rolling around somewhere on the floor of my vet pickup) and I don't get around to cleaning it very often (once a year, maybe).  It is generally caked in cow sh*t and mud when I do find a need for it--but has never let me down--ammo, that is a different story, thank God for the second strike capability on at least one occasion.

*edited because I can't spell mud

**edited a second time, because I can't tell the difference between the quote and edit button
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... sold that one off to upgrade to a later model with the "mud rails" on the frame that was in much newer condition.  
Ross

"mud rails?"  never heard of such...

During the XM9 trials, the P226 was modified to perform better in adverse conditions.  All Later production models have a slightly different configuration of the rails on the frame.  There's little cut-outs on the frame rails to collect mud and debris, and to reduce the bering surface of the rails on the slide.  This increased the reliability of the P226.  They have been referred to as "mud rails", but Sig doesn't refer to them at all.  Simply because it's the current production design.  All P226's of recent manufacture will have them.  I'll see if I can find out where the S/N starts of the imporved design, but any late model P226 will already have them.  

If you take your gun apart and look at the frame rails, you'll either see a small scalloped out section towards the front, or not.  Newer ones have the scallops, older ones are the same dimesions the full length.

As I said, my first P226 was so old it didn't have these, and when one came by at a fantastic price with the newer production rails, I figured I could upgrade.  Out went the old rattly P226, in came the LNIB P226 and I paid all of $25 in cash.  

I don't think I'll really ever need the feature, but it was more of an excuse to buy a newer Sig.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My 220 has just over 1ooo rds.,it don't...My 229 has several thousands and it rattles quite a bit,but it functions fine.also,I have one ten rd. mag that rattles with nine rds.in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top