Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2011 3:48:55 PM EDT
I haven't owned a P226 in years. What's theoverall opinion of the new German P226's with the rail? How do they compare to the US made ones?
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw one of these recently also (on GB) and was suprised to see an import, thought all the currently available 226s were the made in America ones (which are to be avoided).  If ordering one how can you be sure to get one NOT made in the US?  A German made 226 with rail, SRT, and night sights is in my future.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I saw one of these recently also (on GB) and was suprised to see an import, thought all the currently available 226s were the made in America ones (which are to be avoided).   If ordering one how can you be sure to get one NOT made in the US?  A German made 226 with rail, SRT, and night sights is in my future.

That part in red, why is that?  What issues have you had?
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw one of these recently also (on GB) and was suprised to see an import, thought all the currently available 226s were the made in America ones (which are to be avoided).   If ordering one how can you be sure to get one NOT made in the US?  A German made 226 with rail, SRT, and night sights is in my future.

None yet, just the reports I see here and on other sites of poor finish leading to rusting and just general QC issues that aren't present on the German made guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What's rusting on them?  The slides are stainless now and have been for some time.  The grip screws have always rusted, even on the German guns, so that would not be anything new.  As far as the QC issues go, I must have lucked out in that mine has been 100% without any flaws in fit or finish.

I am dubious because I keep seeing this comment pop up all over that the American built Sigs are turds that will give you AIDS but no one seems to have had first hand experience with them being bad, always a buddy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's rusting on them?  The slides are stainless now and have been for some time.  The grip screws have always rusted, even on the German guns, so that would not be anything new.  As far as the QC issues go, I must have lucked out in that mine has been 100% without any flaws in fit or finish.

I am dubious because I keep seeing this comment pop up all over that the American built Sigs are turds that will give you AIDS but no one seems to have had first hand experience with them being bad, always a buddy.

I must be lucky person number two, I have had no issues with mine.

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree, I just hear it on the boards.  The only specifics I can remember related to US production were the Nitron finish that was attacking barrel steels, bad extractors on some 220s and canted hammers when the GSRs came out.  Most people put the blame on Ron Cohen.  The "rumor" or "assumption" is that after he ran Kimber into the ground quality-wise (but not profit wise) he went to SIG and brought the same cost cutting ways with him.

The rumors are enough to sway me if German made ones are around and priced the same, which they are.  I see a nice 226R w/ night sights made in Germany right now for $810 on GB.  Call it peace of mind if you will but I like German and Swiss made handguns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not had a problem with my American p226r in 357sig yet. It was made in Dec of 10.True the finish is not as nice as my older German Sigs but it runs just as well so far. I guess only time will tell if i have a problem
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got one of the new German 226s. It feels lighter due to the carbon rather than stainless. The only thing I do not like about it is the E2 grips it came with. Looking at getting some hogues in either rubber or g10. It also came with mecgar instead of jp sauer mags. Thank God no freaking check mates.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig's quality isn't what it was..................
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sig's quality isn't what it was..................

I doubt the German made guns are any less quality these days.  In fact I am shopping for one right nwo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
It is a 100% German-made Sig Sauer as far as I know, but they put the night sights on here in the US. I don't think quality is any different than it "used to be". FWIW, it has the stamped slide that requires roll pin replacement every 5k rounds (I believe), which seems to be kind of unfavorable compared to the new milled slide Sigs made here in the US.

Internet rumor is that the Navy SEALS prefer the milled slides and currently use US made Sigs, which (if true) should say something about the quality.

Then again, you can't believe everything you read on the internet..
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I saw one of these recently also (on GB) and was suprised to see an import, thought all the currently available 226s were the made in America ones (which are to be avoided).  If ordering one how can you be sure to get one NOT made in the US?  A German made 226 with rail, SRT, and night sights is in my future.

I have owned an American made P226 for over 4 years w/o a single problem. To say that they are to be avoided does Sig an injustice.  Especially when you have no personal experience to share and are basing your opinion on internet rumor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a German 226 in 40 last week.  I immediately got rid of my other 226.  

Smooth and excellent.  It is better, even the barrel is better.  The mags are better-zipper pattern on mags is german made.  I shot my non german 226 and one mag would not keep the slide open on the last shot.  anyway.  I don't want anyone to start debate on 226 German-just my own opinion from experience.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None yet, just the reports I see here and on other sites of poor finish leading to rusting and just general QC issues that aren't present on the German made guns.

In business you will never hear the praises of a product, only the criticisms.

By the way do these new German Sigs have the proof marks that the old Sigs had?

I still think there's something cool about the older Sigs though. Call it nostalgia, but I love my 1989 Herndon 226.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In business you will never hear the praises of a product, only the criticisms.

By the way do these new German Sigs have the proof marks that the old Sigs had?

I still think there's something cool about the older Sigs though. Call it nostalgia, but I love my 1989 Herndon 226.

Yes, German law dictates that German pistols get proofed
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
So what is a good price for one of these?  Does made in Germany vs. made in US affect price?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what is a good price for one of these?  Does made in Germany vs. made in US affect price?

yes, these German pistols will command a higher resale, guaranteed.

I think 1150 is what my FFL had his for, can double check my friend who bought it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]
i talked to a local fellow who bought one of these in nite site version & he claimed "mim" parts in a german proofed sig. i didn't ask & he didn't say which parts.

he sent it back to sig because of severe tool marks on/around the front ns, that were installed at sig exeter.

i was ready to buy one but i'll stick with my ke 226.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#19]
So Sig claims to use no MIM parts?  How much did this fellow pay for the 226?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never seen more MIM than a US Sig. But I have not heard any claims of "no MIM". I recently got a P226SL that I can check for MIM.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

he didn't say price or whether thru gb or lgs.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my P226 German from my local gun dealer in Milwaukee.  He did have it in the gun display for 840 plus tax, and background check.  I also have seen a few go through gunbroker at around 700+ shipping, and transfer fee.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I lied,
my friend paid $780 or $870 (he can't remember which)
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my P226 German from my local gun dealer in Milwaukee.  He did have it in the gun display for 840 plus tax, and background check.  I also have seen a few go through gunbroker at around 700+ shipping, and transfer fee.

which version, e2 grips/std sites or reg grips/nite sites? i saw them around here for $849e2 & $899 with ns.

no charge for nics in az if you don't have ccw.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this 226 German available in .357 Sig?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

only 9mm

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen two types of German 226s on GB.  Some have internal extractors and some have external extractors.  The two I saw with external extractors had the E2 grips also.  Is it safe to assume that even the ones with external extractors still have the old fashioned stamped steel/welded slides?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Seems the Germans are completely sold on 9mm.  They originally did not want to even make the 40 and 45.  But they realized that the Americans demanded them.  So yeah, it is all German so it only comes in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just got one of the new German 226s. It feels lighter due to the carbon rather than stainless. The only thing I do not like about it is the E2 grips it came with. Looking at getting some hogues in either rubber or g10. It also came with mecgar instead of jp sauer mags. Thank God no freaking check mates.

I would check again, you might have a SS slide.  You can tell by the external extractor, non removable breech block, no night sights and nitron finish.  Every P226 German with E2 grips that I have seen have a SS slide.  Also the model number is slightly different than the ones with the carbon steel slide.  

1. SIG E26R-9-BGER - No night sights, SS slide, External extractor, non removable breech block, nitron finish
2. SIG E26R-9-BSS-GER - SIGLITE Night Sights, Carbon Steel slide, Internal extractor, removable breech block, Blued finish

It is still made in Germany but even Sig Sauer Germany have started to produce SS slide P226's and you probably have the newest batch to come out of there.  The Carbon Steel Slide is dead.

Quoted:
I've seen two types of German 226s on GB.  Some have internal extractors and some have external extractors.  The two I saw with external extractors had the E2 grips also.  Is it safe to assume that even the ones with external extractors still have the old fashioned stamped steel/welded slides?

No.  Sig Sauer Germany stopped producing Carbon Steel slides and are now making SS slides.  If it has a external extractor it has a SS slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top