Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:41:54 PM EDT
hey guys,
i love my sig and dont want to do anything to hurt it, so:

do you think it is ok to shoot +P+ ammo thru my sig.  it would be very rarerly that i would do this, maybe 1% of the time.  also i ask this because the hollow points i have stored in a mag (home defense) are +P+, and the last thing i need is for an intruder (God forbid) to break in and threaten my family, i don not want a jam or some type of misfire.  thnx for the insight.

i searched the web and looked thru my manual, i have found nothing conclusive.

rob
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It will do fine with the +P+, but run a couple of mags...at the very least...thru it to make sure it works. Never...ever...trust your life...or worse, those of your loved ones...to untried, unproven, ammo! It is most certainly worth the slight extra cost to be sure the gun works well with that specific ammo!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Never...ever...trust your life...or worse, those of your loved ones...to untried, unproven, ammo!

I second that.  I am always amazed when I hear somebody bragging about the 10-year old box of Talons he's saving for SHTF.  That's not the time you want to find that the primers have turned to dust and the hollow points get hung up on the feed ramp.
I shoot 200 rounds of a particular ammo before I am confident enough to use it for self defense.  Then I buy 500 rounds of it and shoot a box every time I go shooting to make sure it still goes "bang".  
Shooting a few of your self-defense rounds every outing is even more important if you practice with standard pressure ammo but rely on +P for defense since the +P will have more blast and recoil.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
thnx guys, and you are both definitely rite!  every time i go to the range i will shoot a few mags of my self defense rounds to keep her in good working order.  and i am glad to hear my sig can withstand the pressures of +P+.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
NATO ammo is +P+, and the Sig is widely used by the military, so you are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
just like the old question on using +p 38's in alloy snubbies- it's ok as you obviously are gonig to shoot like 100 a year and regular ammo otherwise. it would be different if for example you worked for a gov agency that issued +p+ and shot it all the time. you could expect fast wear .
by the way the military issue ammo is more of a +p rather than+P+- carrying it in my beretta in the sandbox right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top