Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2010 5:15:34 AM EDT
A common complaint that people often have with Glocks is they shoot to the left for right handed shooters.  What causes this?  The obvious answers are you are flinching or adjust your rear sight.  I know that every Glock that I ever bought or shot wasn't made so it would shoot to the left.  It was something I was doing wrong.  What is it? You and I don't have a Glock hand, plain and simple.   It took me a while to figure this out. I'm a okay shooter.  I've held my own in local competitions and even won a few here and there.  Back in 92 someone decided to make me a firearms instructor for my department, because they thought I could shoot, teach and count bullet holes.  So why in the hell is it when I shoot a Glock I have very nice groups to the left of my point of aim?   My hands aren't small, they aren't huge either.  I usually wear a large or extra large glove.  My hand just isn't naturally made for a Glock.

I like Glocks for their simplicity, availability of parts and their reliability.  I'm issued a Glock, I carry a Glock off duty, I've been around them for a long time.  Hell, I'm even a Glock Armorer!  I even believe  I had one of the first G23s in Pennsylvania (back when only LE could purchase them)  However, since day one I noticed they shot to the left for me.  What causes them to shoot to the left for me and many other people?  The grip.  Take your Glock out that shoots to the left. Make sure it's unloaded.  Check it again.  Check it one more time just to make sure.  Assume your firing grip and pull the trigger.  Now with the trigger held to the rear pull on it a little more.  Does your front sight go to the left?  Keep on pulling back on the trigger to confirm what you are seeing.  Yeah, mine moves to the left.  So do a lot of other peoples too - don't worry there is a fix that helps MOST people and doesn't cost anything.

One way to correct this that works for some people is to rotate the pistol in your firing hand a little clockwise so the gun is about at 7 o'clock in the web of your hand.  This may put a little more finger on the trigger too.  Use the above method to check the front sight movement when the trigger is all the way to the rear.  Adjust your trigger finger to see the difference it will make on your front sight movement.  Ok, so you've messed around with that a little bit and noticed that you can grip the gun in this manner and pull on the trigger in some way that the front sight doesn't move to the left.  The problem with changing the grip is that many holsters like the Safariland ALS / SLS series and the Blackhawk SERPAs force you into getting a good proper firing grip - with the gun firmly in the web of your hand.  This slightly rotating the gun in your hand isn't going to work too well for drawing and getting a bullet on the target in a minimal amount of time.  

Now what?

Get your good two handed grip (I use the standard thumbs forward grip) with the gun sitting in the web of your hand like it's an extension of your arm, the way it should be.  Pull the trigger to the rear, pull on it a little more.  Yeah, the front sight is still moving to the left.  With the trigger held back, loosen the grip of your little finger on your strong hand.  Pull the trigger back.  Does that make a difference in the front sight movement?  It does for me and many other people.  Your options now are learn a new firing grip with little or no grip from your little finger or amputate your little fingers.  Me?  I opted for learning a new grip.  

I hope this may help someone that has a problem with their Glock firing to the left.  It did me!

NOTE:  Try adjusting the position of your trigger finger too after you've played around with the grip.  I've noticed that sometimes it helps to have a little more finger than normal on the trigger for Glocks.  

As with anything, your mileage may vary regarding what I posted here.  It may help you, it may not.  However, I know it has helped many people in the past!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Good post, OP! You have described my problem to a "T." Also, the remedies that I've used.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
This has to be the most common issue with glocks, all my shooting buddies have this issue at various levels when shooting them.

For me if I rotate the gun so that I'm putting MORE finger on the trigger it causes me to get a more straight back pull which goes against the common train of thought when it comes to gripping a handgun.

So my buddy and I built this to shoot paper and test different grips:

And after putting more and more finger on the trigger and about 30 minutes I was able to pull these groups @ about 40 feet this is all 16 shots out of my G19:

I still need some more work but I've noticed the more trigger finger on it the more straight back the pull ends up being.
At least for me, the faster I am with drawing my weapon the more I find myself naturally with more finger on the trigger anyways so in my situation the fact that I need more finger on the trigger to get a straighter pull goes well with it being my carry weapon.

Again this usually goes against the grain with what is consider proper shooting technique.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
And sometimes they just shoot left. Just sayin'.

My G23 shoots left from a rest
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy the DVD Art of the Dynamic Handgun, and your left shooting will be solved.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Good post.  I had no idea it was a problem for most people.

What I did was simply correct my trigger pull  Instead of pulling my trigger finger towards the web of my hand, I pull it more towards the knuckle at the base of my finger.  This corrected my POI.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And sometimes they just shoot left. Just sayin'.

My G23 shoots left from a rest

Yes, sometimes now and then you'll get one that does that!

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally put some rounds through my Glock 19 several weeks ago when my son and I were shooting our 10/22's and my 22/45.

I was pulling to the left too.

Last week I put more down the pipe of my Glock 19 but changed my grip to have both thumbs forward instead of the way I normally hold the gun.

All shots where centered as they should be.

I did not have to rotate the gun in my hand, just had to change where my thumbs were.

I haven't shot thumbs high or forward for some time.

Hmmm
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Give the trigger more finger, helped me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
This might help:

Just kidding.  Honestly, I don't have a problem with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Glocks.  The rear sights remain centered on them and I shoot POA.  Gen 3's are another story.  The finger grooves don't even remotely line up with my fingers, and they shoot slightly left for me.  When I get a new Gen 3, before even shooting it, I pull out the sight tool, slightly drift the rear sight to the right, and they all shoot POA.

I can swap back and forth between my Gen 1 G17's and my Gen 3 G17's, and shoot nice, tight groups, centered on the target without a problem.  All the Gen 1's sights are centered, the Gen 3's are drifted.

It's just the way the pistol fits my hand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread needs A Great big TAG

Seriously, this single thread has helped me more than any amount of practice has, since it has helped me identify what I was doing. Not only that, but it gave me the suggestions I needed to fix what I was doing in order to visualize and start using better form. Can this be tagged?

Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
My rounds always seems to go high and right and I am left handed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top