Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 1:15:47 PM EDT
Do you guys experience a reduction in reliability when running a aftermarket barrel such as jarvis? The chamber being significantly tighter I am assuming it requires a stricter diet of ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
i've only used three brands of aftermarket barrels.
kkm for 10mm; it took a little work w/lwd longslide.
lwd in 9mm-much tighter chamber.
lwd in 45-no problems that i remember.
ymmv.
sorry but i have no experience w/jarvis!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Jarvis barrel for my 6" 45acp G21L and yes, initially the tighter chamber did invite more failures to chamber.  I opened up the chamber a bit and it feeds like a champ.  Lone Wolf will open up their match chambers a bit upon request.  My custom G24 has a LW barrel with an opened chamber  and it feeds 100% too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Lonewolf used to sell them as stainless but they were really blued.  I confirmed this with Jarvis, but the owner of Lonewolf did not immediately change the website... hmmm...

I had a 17 barrel, the chamber was tight and would force XTP bullets into the case increasing the pressure.  I called Jarvis and my conclusion is Jarvis was rude and honest, but Lonewolf was either dishonest or a moron.  I cut the chamber and it would then work.

In my experience, Bar-Sto are the best aftermarket, but for most useful purposes Glock stock barrels are all that is necessary and are well made.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
the only reason to use an after market barrel is to shoot lead(I already call bs- clean your regular barrel every 200 round or so and no worries) and since lead reloads tend to have a greater chance of being off spec anyway (casting variation etc) you knid of defeat the purpose of the after market barrel.
I find no reason to use any barrel but that which came with the gun
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I find no reason to use any barrel but that which came with the gun

i strongly agree with one exception... if looking to run conversion setup, well then obviously, an aftermarket barrel is needed. (40 to 9mm, 10mm to 40/357, 45 to 10mm, etc.)

ETA: check that, make it 2 exceptions... see post below!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My main reason for purchasing a jarvis barrel is to run threads so that I can attach a suppressor
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My main reason for purchasing a jarvis barrel is to run threads so that I can attach a suppressor

this is another reason to replace the factory barrel...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm jealous my state does nto allow us mere subjects to have supressors so that is not an option for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I do not have any experience with a Jarvis barrel in a Glock, but I do have one for my SIG p228 and it works great.  I have never had a problem with it.  I do plan to purchase a Jarvis barrel for my G26.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No experience with Jarvis barrels, but my LWD conversion barrel was unreliable due to the overly tight chamber, had to be reamed out a bit to function well.  Also a few contact areas were stoned and polished, very lightly.

It now runs 100% though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top