Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2010 6:23:27 AM EDT
Just picked up a g19c in a trade.  I only put 25 rounds through it to test pistol, and mag function.   The pistol shot great, and it feels like the compensated barrel keeps the muzzle  down a bit.  The only thing that bothers me is the 8 inch flame that comes out of the top of the slide.   Do you guys have any dislikes or issues with ported glocks?   I fired the pistol for 10 rounds at dusk and it did not seem to mess up my night vision that much.  

Do you regret buying the C model and wish you went with the standard barrel, or are they the cats meow?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a G23 and the shop owner got talked into a G23c last year. I have shot them back to back and the only difference I noticed is that the c model is very loud. I also wouldn't want those holes in my slide and barrel while ccwing. Seems like a place for foreign objects to enter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't noticed the flame on my 19C. Very mellow shooter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Some powder is designed not to flame up as bad as others.  Some ammo will pitch flames up pretty high though.

My personal feelings on the C models is in 9mm or any auto loader the recoil is not that bad that I would ever need a compensated version.  I shoot .357Sig and it has more recoil then 9mm and even it is not bad.  The biggest issue with the C models is the front sight get covered in GSR and makes it harder to see.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I haven't noticed the flame on my 19C. Very mellow shooter.

Shoot it at night sometime.   Or better yet, do what I did and have someone else shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some powder is designed not to flame up as bad as others.  Some ammo will pitch flames up pretty high though.

My personal feelings on the C models is in 9mm or any auto loader the recoil is not that bad that I would ever need a compensated version.  I shoot .357Sig and it has more recoil then 9mm and even it is not bad.  The biggest issue with the C models is the front sight get covered in GSR and makes it harder to see.

Well when I take it to the range next week I will put 150-200 of wolf through it, and see what happens to the front site.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've shot a few ported Glocks over the years.

I currently own 14 Glocks, had two more that I traded away, and carry a G19 every day –– none of them are/were ported.  Make of that what you will...

Bold:  I am not trying make any assumptions, just looking for how others feel.    What did you not like about them?

I have owned 6 Glocks in the past, but never a ported one.  Like I say in the OP I got one in a trade, and fired off a box of ammo, but the jury is still out on the pistol.   I am not going to CC it, so that is not an issue.   Just looking for people to tell me one way or the other.   I figure as a worse case scenario I will buy a new barrel for it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
i feel sorry for this horse.

i have a 17c and my brother has a 19c. we would not traid them in for the none c if we were given the chance. yes they will through a flame with cheap ammo. shoot some low flash or a self defence ammo. some tap and others have almost no flash. after shooting a few different brands i found one that works well. and i found out the gun eats everything and loves it.  

i am kinda sick of people shooting wb or umc at night and then botching at the flash. no shit it has a foot flame. we know that. shoot some low flash ammo and if it realy kills your night vision that much, you might question your shot before you shoot your nieghbor. if it bothers you that much, trade it back in for the standard gun and be happy. please stop telling the rest of us our gun suck.

sorry i sound like an ass and am attacking you. just and old topic that i usualy never even open to post in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
i have nearly 6k through my c and have never cleaned the front sight. i do not know where this came from.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i feel sorry for this horse.

i have a 17c and my brother has a 19c. we would not traid them in for the none c if we were given the chance. yes they will through a flame with cheap ammo. shoot some low flash or a self defence ammo. some tap and others have almost no flash. after shooting a few different brands i found one that works well. and i found out the gun eats everything and loves it.  

i am kinda sick of people shooting wb or umc at night and then botching at the flash. no shit it has a foot flame. we know that. shoot some low flash ammo and if it realy kills your night vision that much, you might question your shot before you shoot your nieghbor. if it bothers you that much, trade it back in for the standard gun and be happy. please stop telling the rest of us our gun suck.

sorry i sound like an ass and am attacking you. just and old topic that i usualy never even open to post in.

You do sound like an ass.   Thank you for the convoluted response.  

Here is to hoping that future posters read the OP and offer their experiences up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
what use is a compensated barrel on a low recoil round like 9mm in the already soft shooting glock platform? more noise and flash for what gain? 10mm , maybe! i'm not being critical or judgemental, just curious!
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
i've had a 19c for many years and i really like it, i shoot the cheap ammo and during the daytime i cant really see any flame thru the ports, plus a replacement glock barrel is not that much if you wanted a spare and shoot ported or non-ported
true the 9mm doesn't have much recoil but i dont think a lot of other gun companies even offer a stock porting option.
i love my 19C and would never sell it
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I like compensated guns over the others.  But then again what do I know?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
what use is a compensated barrel on a low recoil round like 9mm in the already soft shooting glock platform? more noise and flash for what gain? 10mm , maybe! i'm not being critical or judgemental, just curious!

A minute amount of muzzle flip is still muzzle flip.  The less there is, the faster you are back on target.  I love my 19c.  With blazer, the flames are like..an inch or two.  I don't even notice it... focus on that front sight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i've had a 19c for many years and i really like it, i shoot the cheap ammo and during the daytime i cant really see any flame thru the ports, plus a replacement glock barrel is not that much if you wanted a spare and shoot ported or non-ported
true the 9mm doesn't have much recoil but i dont think a lot of other gun companies even offer a stock porting option.
i love my 19C and would never sell it

I was liking mine so far as well.   But this is my first 19, and it just seems to fit my hand more securely than my 17.   I plan to buy another, and I am not sure if I should get another C or just a regular 19.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
To me, in 9mm and .40 they're not useful.

In 10mm, sure.

ETA:  don't own any, just shot 'em some.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I've shot a 23C in near total darkness and wasn't blinded by the flash (was able to maintain a sight picture).  I now own a 19C and really enjoy it.  I enjoyed the 23C as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You do sound like an ass.   Thank you for the convoluted response.  

Here is to hoping that future posters read the OP and offer their experiences up.

i did read the op. and i did (try to) give some insight to my experience with the c models. is that not what you asked for?

Quoted:
<snip>
Do you guys have any dislikes or issues with ported glocks?  Do you regret buying the C model and wish you went with the standard barrel, or are they the cats meow?

Quoted:
<snip>

i did try to answer your questions about flash, ammo, and whether i regret buying it. i apologize that i sounded so attacking but every other week the issue whether compensation is necessary comes up.

between my brother and i, we have over 10K rounds through our compensated glocks. no problems at all. i used to cc the 17c (for six years; dwy prefix), and my brother still cc his 19c. my 17c is now a diaper bag gun for my wife. i am now carrying a 21 just for the larger cal.

for most, compensation is not needed. they are loud as flock with no ear protection. they do dirty the inside of the slide a bit faster. it may not be needed to "tame" the recoil of the 9mm, but it is easier to get back on target as fast as possible. also shooting from the hip takes some getting used to. when drawing and shooting from the hip, as soon as the gun clears the holster coming out, you will want to cant it away from yourself. there is the potential of getting some gas and soot in your face. tilting the gun out a bit fixes any problems there.

oh, i am still waiting for that dirty front sight from a c glock. has anyone actually ever seen one?
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Own a 21C.

.45 is a low pressure cartridge.  I wanted it for the novelty of it.  Dumbass design and a novelty gun at best.  

It kicks about the same as my daily CCW, a g36.

For .45 skip the C unless you like cleaning extra holes with a Q-tip.  Then again, the G34 an d G35 are the only two guns that interest me from GLOCK at any given time anymore, and they do require extra cleaning with nor real benefit outside a slightly lighter gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 3:52:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Have had four G's.  Most recent is a 22C (.40) and the port is great.  No dirty front sight, and the muzzle control is superior, in fact, better than my G19.  My buddy was shooting from the hip and was a bit *surprised* at the column rising from the port.  Better ammo has less flash.  I am convinced, and will get C from here forward.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a G29 with a factory ported slide and barrel.  It helped but I ended up going with an extended and ported aftermarket barrel.  It improves follow-up shots tremendously.  I think ported is almost a must with 10mm.  This is my everyday ccw.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I know someone with a 17C & they HATE IT.  Too much muzzle flash for night or even dusk shooting.  They are looking for a regular 17 now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a 23c with tru glo tfo's . It definetly "screwed" up the front sight . It still glows just not as bright as the rear . IMO......never again .
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I will update the thread after I put a few hundred through it next week.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I too have a G19c and it's my one and only handgun; therefore I carry it.  I've shot it in low light before and do not see much of a flash when I (read: ME) shoot.  If I watch someone else shoot then yes, I notice the flash much more.  Watching someone shoot you would think the flash is disorienting, but I wouldn't say the ports completely destroy me dark-adapted eyes when I'm shooting.  Low quality bulk FMJ ammo will give a bigger flash than high quality HP ammo (I carry 147gr Speer Gold Dot FWIW and saw very little flash; even when watching others shoot).

People ask why compensated models are useful on a 9mm.  It doesn't reduce any recoil, but muzzle climb IS reduced, and yes I think it helps during quick shots.

Compensated models are also VERY loud as some of the gasses are directed in front of your face instead of completely away.

If you REALLY don't like the compensated model pop in a standard barrel and keep the C barrel for the range.  Can't go the other way around with a non-ported slide!
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Factory ported Glock 21-C. The compensator does help in reducing muzzle flip. Shooting at night pretty much produces this:

Even more if you load with Unique. I have a regular non ported Glock 21 that I carry. The 21-C is used mostly as a range weapon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I know someone with a 17C & they HATE IT.  Too much muzzle flash for night or even dusk shooting.  They are looking for a regular 17 now.

If he plans on staying with a 17 then I would suggest just buying a LW or Glock replacement barrel that's not ported.  The money spent on the barrel will be much less that is lost trying to sell the old one and picking up a new one.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I had G32c. Great firearm. Feels like G23.
I just had to trade them, because someone gave me a real awsome deal.

I recommand Compensated model.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5288/glock7.jpg

Factory ported Glock 21-C. The compensator does help in reducing muzzle flip. Shooting at night pretty much produces this:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8943/glockcompensator.jpg

Even more if you load with Unique. I have a regular non ported Glock 21 that I carry. The 21-C is used mostly as a range weapon.
I'm not a fan of ported pistols for "serious work".................but...........that said..............that 2nd pic............which is from Glock itself, by the way........is such bullshit.

Look at the muzzle flash................ever seen muzzle flash like that?

Nuff said.........................they're bad, but not THAT bad............................

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#30]
i always though that pic looked like they hand loaded the cartridge with propane vs bullseye.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

i always though that pic looked like they hand loaded the cartridge with propane vs bullseye.

No doubt.  Must be their flamethrower model.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry a 20C SF. I love it. Follow up shots are as quick as shooting a .40, even with full power loads.

As far as the flash, concentrate on the front sight and you dont notice. I shoot in low light shoots every week, no problem with flash.

Now if you want bigger flash than in the Glock add, just load some 10mm with Blue Dot. Makes those flame look small.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Guy at the range had a 19C and I had brought my 19. He let me fire 2 magazines through his and I noticed that it was definitely louder, it did control recoil more during rapid fire, and the flames shooting out the top were much more noticeable than I thought they would be. It was fairly overcast today but I could see like 6-8" of orange jet coming out each port almost every shot. If I shot competition or something it'd be great, seems like a good way to blind yourself for CCW though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I have carried a Glock 22C on duty for 10 years and service 55 of them.  The 22Cs will shoot the white plastic from around the night sight insert in under 200 rounds everytime.  I fill them back in with grease pencil but every range date they blow back out again.  Trijicons are WAY worse about this than Meps or Glocks.  With low quality ammunition they do black the front sights pretty bad.

They don't affect night vision in our experience.

They are a SHITLOAD louder,my biggest complaint with the system.  Not a problem on the range but we sometimes have to shoot without hearing protection and in close quarters.  You will suffer hearing loss from a single shot without protection in.  I don't mean a little either,it compares more to a rifle shot than a pistol to my ears.

They do reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

Given my choice I would carry normal 22s,but it's not my choice.  TJR
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Own a 21C.

.45 is a low pressure cartridge.  I wanted it for the novelty of it.  Dumbass design and a novelty gun at best.  

It kicks about the same as my daily CCW, a g36.

For .45 skip the C unless you like cleaning extra holes with a Q-tip.  Then again, the G34 an d G35 are the only two guns that interest me from GLOCK at any given time anymore, and they do require extra cleaning with nor real benefit outside a slightly lighter gun.

i agree.  i had the chance to shoot the 21 and 21c side-by-side prior to buying.  couldn't tell a bit of difference.  went with the non-ported.  as far as dirty front sights, mine gets dirty without the ports

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Unless you're shooting a 10mm, I'd skip the porting. I've done late evening/dusk comprarisons with my G23, no port, and the heavier the bullet (read, less powder), the less the flash. My 135 hotass Nosler loads looked like the Glock flamethrower. Try the heavier bullets if flash is too much, plus some ammo is designed to produce lower flash.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have carried a Glock 22C on duty for 10 years and service 55 of them.  The 22Cs will shoot the white plastic from around the night sight insert in under 200 rounds everytime.  I fill them back in with grease pencil but every range date they blow back out again.  Trijicons are WAY worse about this than Meps or Glocks.  With low quality ammunition they do black the front sights pretty bad.

They don't affect night vision in our experience.

They are a SHITLOAD louder,my biggest complaint with the system.  Not a problem on the range but we sometimes have to shoot without hearing protection and in close quarters.  You will suffer hearing loss from a single shot without protection in.  I don't mean a little either,it compares more to a rifle shot than a pistol to my ears.

They do reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

Given my choice I would carry normal 22s,but it's not my choice.  TJR
That's my biggest problem with 'em right there.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]
For what it's worth, I have a G21C with the Kriss Super-V 30 rd mag and the "C" bit helps quite a lot on mag dumps.

For carry I have a standard G19, but for a range toy the G21C "dragon" still puts a big smile on my face. You have to appreciate it for what it is ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top