Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 7:35:15 PM EDT

I just ordered one from TopGlock along with Meprolight night sights, since I want it to match the factory sight picture, and TopGlock says they will install sights for free, just send them the slide. I figured I'd get it all done at once.

Then TopGlock replies, "WE CAN NOT INSTALL THE SIGHTS ON THE SLIDE OF THE CONVERSION KIT IS ALMINUM AND WE WILL NOT TAKE THE RISK OF TWEEKING THE SLIDE. IT ISN'T METAL LIKE A NORMAL 9MM/40 SLIDE."

But according to the Advantage Arms FAQ, "Q: Can I replace the factory sights with my favorite after market sights?  A: Yes. The L.E. Model will accept after market sights that have been designed to fit your Glock."

So who is right?

Are Advantage Arms slides gettting "tweeked" when you guys change the sights on them?

I sent an email canceling the order with TopGlock, but seeing as how they sell a product they won't touch themselves, I don't have confidence in being treated right by them.  They list a 25% restocking which should be a warning to us all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the AA slides, like most .22 conversion type slides are alloy, and for the fixed sight slide the front sight is made as part of the slide itself. Not certain about the "target" sighted slide. They do have a good reputation as a quality product from those who own them, but I think the night sights will not be doable without some risk of screwing things up. I'd just live with the standard sights myself, but it's your money.

Why don't you ask them yourself...

www.advantagearms.com/
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#2]

The "Target" model has the fixed front sight. The "L.E." model is supposed to take any Glock sights according to the Advantage Arms FAQ. If it does not why would they risk saying that?

I want the same sight picture for practice. If I can't have it what's the use? Is it too much for me to ask to match the Glock sight picture as it came from the factory?

I only ordered this kit after verifing in the Advantage Arms FAQ that the sights would work. Once I spent my money I was told it could mess up the slide by the vendor.

I have already an email out to Advantage Arms about this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Having the exact same sight picture is really not all that necessary in order to benefit from more trigger time with a "similar" pistol. In addition, the "same" sights may, or may not, shoot to the same point of aim on the two uppers anyway. I see your point that you "want what you want" and it's your money, but for me it would not be that important a deal. I did not know that the standard sighted slides were supposed to be able to take the same sights as Glock slides. Many of the Glock front sights simply fasten via a nut or screw through the front sight slot in the slide (some LocTite helps also). Could you not do this yourself or maybe purchase a set of sights and send them to AA and have them install them for you? You can buy direct from AA without going through a dealer, so this might be something they would do for you there.

I will be buying one of these conversions later this year myself...much fun as well as good, cheap practice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]

I'll look into getting the sights installed, but TopGlocks reaction made me wonder if there are a bunch of wreaked slides out there. TopGlock must think it's risky to even try.

The standard Glock sights, espcially the rear with the white line, is just so radically different from what I am used to, I don't think it will work for me switching back and forth. Once I had a front sight with a white line on it, on a Colt 1911. It the middle of shooting I was suddenly shooting way too high. It took a few minutes to figure out the white line had gotten burned out and it was now a black sight. The radical difference made a mess of my shooting. Since then I prefer black sights with only unobtrusive tritium inserts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard, fixed Glock sights will work just fine if you simply turn 'em around and re mount them so the white points toward the front of the muzzle. This will give you a cheap, all black, sight picture. I don't think it works with the factory adjustable rear, however. You certainly should be able to use flat black paint and black the dots and U out at least. I, too, prefer all black sights with no dots.

My guess is that the vendor did not want to take a chance on screwing the slide up and having to "eat" it for a few bucks profit on the sights and install. It would seem to me that the alloy slide would require some careful tightening in a vice, etc. and while perfectly sufficient for its' purpose of firing the .22LR, I can see where it might be a little tricky to work with. I have NOT heard of any major problems with the AA product however.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The AA LE kit will take any sight made for Glock.  Don't worry about it.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top