Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2004 8:29:29 PM EDT
Hey... someone recently was telling me about a "finish" or a "coating" that can be done to my Glock slide and internals. He called it "mp3". I searched on it with my lil' search engine but all I got was stuff about MP3 music. Any idea what he was talking about?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
oh .. wait... its NP3 ... not MP3... so is this a good idea? How long does the finish last?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't heard of it but I'm curious as to why you would need it?  The factory finish on your Glock is one of the toughest OEM finishes out there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey... someone recently was telling me about a "finish" or a "coating" that can be done to my Glock slide and internals. He called it "mp3". I searched on it with my lil' search engine but all I got was stuff about MP3 music. Any idea what he was talking about?

It's NP3.  www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx   Its nickel mixed with Teflon IIRC.  Not quite as hard as hard-chrome and darker too.  I've had my G21 slide and metal frame parts hard-chromed by Tripp Research when they were still chroming pistols.  It was $50.00

If it causes jams, then my finish must be defective.  8K rounds through it since the chrome was applied and its been jam free.

Here's a few not so good pics of it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
99% of the time, anything "Custom" done to or added on a Glock will reduce its' reliability. You might want the NP3 in about 20 years if you manage to wear all the factory finish off, but even then you can just send it back to Glock for a refinish and be good to go for another couple of decades.

Save your money and buy ammo...lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had 3 Glocks NP3 finished by Robars, and have fired several thousand rds through each, not one malfunction at all! Not everything in this world is about "need too". NP3 makes a "plain looking" Glock look really sharp! If you want to customize your Glock, do it, it's your gun. I'm just tired of everybody telling you, "oh no, don't do anything to your Glock, you'll be sorry, it won't be reliable!" Bull-Shit! I'm sure there are some shitty parts out there, but I have (6) Glocks, most are customized to some degree, not one has ever failed to fire or extract!

I even have a Glock 23C & 32C, I'm just lucky I can still see and haven't burnt myself alive yet!

I'm really not this cranky in real-life!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#6]
teaqmroper2004;

Eaassssy there, partner. I also have six Glocks...three .40's two 9mm's and a .357... and two of the .40's are customized, my G35 fairly heavily. None of them had been unreliable either, and certainly Robbie Barkman knows his way around a Glock pistol. Still we are speaking of only a drop in the bucket. Take a look at 600, or 6000, pistols over a period of years...decades even...and you will see that the vast, and I DO mean vast, majority of customized handguns of any make or model...and I include the 1911 series guns here as well as revolvers...will fail before the factory stock pistols under heavy use by "less than totally dedicated and very knowledgable" shooters. Does this mean that my old Wilson Master Combat is somehow not as "good" as a stock Series 70 Government Model? Not hardly! But, truthfully, the stock gun with a bushing change and spring replacements as needed along the way, might very well have proven as reliable as this old friend over more than two decades without spending nearly as much money.

I can tell you from a great deal of firsthand experience, over a long period of time, that customized guns...as a "group"... are almost never as reliable as stock guns, provided that you start with a high quality handgun such as the Glock, Sig, etc.

Bear_B, you, or I can do as we please with our personal weapons...that is our choice...but be very careful about recommending anything to someone else, especially people we don't know, based on limited experience with only a very tiny represenative sample. What may work just fine for a couple hundred rounds on a flat range with one or two guns for a single shooter, may prove to be a disaster with a different user, different pistol(s) and a whole different set of requirements or circumstances.

No flame, brother, just lots of experience with money and time wasted on modifications that did NOT work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If you plan on using the gun for self-defense you may want to consider how that finish will reflect light when you're using different flashlight techniques.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
ikor,

No hard feelings, I wasn't aiming at you personally!

I just get tired of when someone asks about customizing their Glock, almost everybody jumps in and says "oh-no, don't change your Glock, you'll be sorry". Most, not all, but most have never changed anything on their Glock, so really don't know. All I'm saying is, if you want to change it,do it, if you don't , then don't.

If a person was going to buy 1 handgun and just shoot it ever-so-often, then I'd recommend a unmodified factory Glock, they're probably the most reliable pistol right out-of-the-box! IMHO!

Hope I haven't caused too many hard feelings! After all I'm just a dumb ole' cowboy!

teamroper2004

Here's some of my Glocks!

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
if it's not broken don't fix it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
teamroper2004;

No hard feelings at all, brother! That's what we DO here is have "discussions" about stuff like this.

You prefer headin' or heelin'? Still got both thumbs?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
teamroper2004;

No hard feelings at all, brother! That's what we DO here is have "discussions" about stuff like this.

You prefer headin' or heelin'? Still got both thumbs?

ikor,

I've won more money headin', which ain't much!

Still got all my digits, so far, knock on wood!

teamroper2004
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top