Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2009 5:17:21 PM EDT
Hello Ladies and Gents,
  I have a Glock 19 9mm with standard factory sights.  I recently bought the Trijicon Novak sights (GL11).  Three questions:

1.  I do not have a Glock sight removal tool.  Is there a way to do the replacement myself or do I need a smithy?

2.  How much might a smithy ask to do the procedure?

3.  If it is possible for me to do it myself, is there a way to "sight in" new sights on a handgun?  (i.e. is that really needed?)

Thanks folks, I appreciate your time and responses.

Sincerely,
Tim
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If the front is plastic you can yank it our with a pair of pliers.  Use a punch to drift out the rear, use a padded vise to hold the slide.

The new front should install with a hex driver.  Use a punch to drift in the rear and center it.  If you can borrow a sight pusher for the rear.

I can't imagine paying more than $25 to have a smith do it.

ETA: Tim, where are you located? Neve's uniform supply in Denver is has a Glock gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
So, pull out the front.  What is meant by "drift" the rear out?  Slide 'em left or right?  Sry, I know nothing.  Thank you.

MC, check your PMs.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, pull out the front.  What is meant by "drift" the rear out?  Slide 'em left or right?  Sry, I know nothing.  Thank you.

MC, check your PMs.

Tim

drift: imo, pretty much = using a punch and hammer/mallet (while slide is padded in vice) and drifting it out ––right to left IIRC

if you have doubt, drop it off to your local smith and have him do it
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't trust myself with the punch and mallet for the rear sight. I've got enough Glocks that a sight pusher is cheaper than paying a smith, so I got one.

Front sight is easy. Pull off the factory and get a front sight tool and some blue loc-tite. Piece of cake.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Rgr,
  Thanks folks.  Take care.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yee-HAW...

Got some mods installed after my sights.  If I could just figure out how to post pics now.

I have a Glock 19.  I put this on it:

Extended mag release
Extended slide lock
High cap mags
CT laser grip
Titanium guide rod/spring
Magwell
Trijicon novak night sights
Surefight Tact light

Thoughts?  MY first real tinkering with a firearm.  Also bought a few different barells (threaded, extended comp, etc) for different types of shooting I've been getting into.  Been saving $$ for a long time and now it's all gone, lol.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you're all hooked up now. Figure out how to post pics and let us see her.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A good local dealer will usually install sights for free. But it is always a good idea to get a box or 2 of shells or some cleaning supplies to return the favor. My local guy wont do Sig sights because he breaks the 1st set.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Rgr, will do..

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok folks... my G19 build is complete....  so... how do I post pics?!?!  Thxs.

I am a lil dissapointed with the Magwell but I think after some filing, I might enjoy it a lil better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top