Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 5:56:18 AM EDT
I'm adding a glock 17 to my collection and want to use it for 3 gun and other competition.  I don't want to get crazy and add mag wells and optics, but I do want to add a few things to the pistol.  Here's what i'm thinking:

3.5 lb connector
extended magazine release (I have short thumbs that can't reach standard release without shifting pistol in my hand)
extra magazines

I know I want to add new sights but am not sure which to go with....any advice?

Also any other modifications you guys would recommend?  Barrels?  Different recoil rods/springs?

THanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For what you want above, I'd recommend getting a G34 instead of a G17 right out of the gate, then just shoot the heck out of it.

Have you already considered that and decided against it for some reason?

+1 and same question.  Are you aware that the G34 already includes the extended slide release, 3.5 connector, adjustable sights, and longer barrel?  It is also, some have found, even more accurate than the G17 and is frequently used in the competitions you mentioned and more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Summit Gun Broker has PD Trade in 3rd Gen G17's for $369 right now.  Best deal into a G17 I've seen in a while.

Have you decided on what sights you want?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I've considered the G34 but wasn't sure if it would really be worth the added expense.  The extended slide release doesn't work for me because I have a high hold which causes the slide to not lock back due to the grip I have.  With the standard release I'm fine.  So you guys think the G34 would be the better choice?

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the G34 based on what you want.

However, I do like the 17 more, so I also don't think there'd be anything wrong with replacing parts on a G17 to make it more like the 34 if you like its dimensions better.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the G34 accept the G18 mags (33 rounders)? G17/19/26+ 33's = Big Fun!

Whichever you choose, I've replace all my Glock barrels with LWD's (threaded for the suppressed 9mm's and two comp's for my 10mm's/.45)

I'd also recommend the Lightning Strike replace SS Guide Rod and Springs...smooth and strong (no plastic!).

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm weird with the extended slide release

With the 19 and 26 I cause the slide to not lock back, so I went back to standard slide releases

With the 17/34 frame I have no issues with the slide not locking back.

You might give it a shot first...

I also prefer the 34 to the 17...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Heinie sights on mine and I really like them.  Nicely designed, very visible and clear, the nice horizontal straitions on them, toughly built.   Swapping out the connector is easy.  Personally I like all my Glocks to have the same trigger pull but tis is a popular change.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I find the 17 more practical then the 34. the G 34 may be great for competitions, but if you are open carrying or ccwing, its just dumb for a 34. Get the best of both worlds, go for the G17. I have warren Tactical sights on mine, 2 dot tritium. As well, check out Novaks sights. Chris Costa I believe had Warren Tacticals on his glock for a while until he switched to the Smith and Wesson M&P
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So you guys think the G34 would be the better choice?

Thanks,
Mark

I have a 17 and 34.  I just dpends on your battery and what you want to use it for.   The 34 is a little long for CCW, on the other hand as a competition gun it probably gets the nod because of the features and barrel length.  I wouldn't fret on the accuracy issue.  Both are more than accurate enough for three gun, the 34 might be easier to shoot fast because of the longer barrel and weight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not worried about CCW as I have a G19 and G26 for that.  My main thing is for competition and possible SHTF pistol.....not sure if that changes which one I should go with.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like you need a G34. It was designed for competition, so unless you just want a G17 that bad, I'd go with the G34. Oh and to correct a few things, the G34 does NOT come with a 3.5 connector or adjustable sights
See
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a G34. It was designed for competition, so unless you just want a G17 that bad, I'd go with the G34. Oh and to correct a few things, the G34 does NOT come with a 3.5 connector or adjustable sights
See

Actually it does come with adjustable sights.....but not a 3.5lb connector....it comes with a 4.5 lb connector.

I have one other question for anyone thta owns both a 17 and a 34.....is the frame the same size?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I wasn't aware of that, the SO here carries the G35, and they have the same sights that our G22's do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
See

Actually it does come with adjustable sights.....but not a 3.5lb connector....it comes with a 4.5 lb connector.

I have one other question for anyone thta owns both a 17 and a 34.....is the frame the same size?

Frame is identical.

FWIW I prefer the Glock 4.5lb connector to all the aftermarket 3.5s I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
See

Frame is identical.

FWIW I prefer the Glock 4.5lb connector to all the aftermarket 3.5s I've tried.

I'm going to go against the tide and say stick with your original plan and get the 17. It will do everything the 34 will (and just as well) but at a much lower cost.

The Glock 3.5# connector and the Glock 4.5# connector is the same part. Glock just decided to start calling the 3.5# connector what it really is, a 4.5# connector. If you really want to get down to 3.5# trigger, get the Glock or LWD connector and then get a Wolff reduced power striker spring. A lot of people will warn you that going with a reduce power striker spring may effect the guns reliability but I ran one in a 34 for 2 years and countless rounds with no issues. If you really want to go all out on the trigger, consider the competition trigger spring sold buy GlockParts.com and doing the $0.25 Glock trigger job.

For sights, I was very happy with the Sevigny Competition fiber optic sight set for my comp gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I would go with the GLOCK 17L   GOD I LOVE THAT GUN
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are going to use it for competition I would get the 34
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been shooting a G17 in USPSA matches since December.  I managed to take first C class in production at Area 1 in June.

Here is what I did to it:
LWD 3.5 lb connector
25 cent trigger job (polishing)
Factory extended mag release
Heinie Slant Pro rear sight
Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight
ISMI SS guide rod
ISMI 13lb recoil spring (note I use 132 PF reloads, 147gr fmj)
Lone Wolf Grip Plug
Drilled and tapped Ejector housing for trigger over travel screw (I looked at LWD's setup and said "I can make one of those!")

I've put probably 4-5,000 rds through it since December.  It was a used pistol from Summit Gun Broker, and I just ordered another from him!

ETA:  If you can, shoot both the G17 and G34 before buying, I think the G17 is quicker back on target and in transitions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm adding a glock 17 to my collection and want to use it for 3 gun and other competition.  I don't want to get crazy and add mag wells and optics, but I do want to add a few things to the pistol.  Here's what i'm thinking:

3.5 lb connector
extended magazine release (I have short thumbs that can't reach standard release without shifting pistol in my hand)
extra magazines

I know I want to add new sights but am not sure which to go with....any advice?

Also any other modifications you guys would recommend?  Barrels?  Different recoil rods/springs?

THanks,
Mark

Those mods seem entirely appropriate for your intended purpose.  Extra mags are a given.

If you went with a G34 and didn't like the extended Slide Release, you could put a normal G17 type in and it would run fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top