Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2004 5:03:54 PM EDT
Glock rookie question here guys.  What is the difference between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Glocks?

Link Posted: 4/1/2004 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I am no expert by any means, but the later generations added finger grooves and light rails...
Link Posted: 4/1/2004 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
1st gen and 2nd gen are similar, with 2nd gen having more texture to the grip.  It's been a while since I've seen a 1st gen so I can't quite recall the exact difference( I'm thinking the front and back strap on the grip were the major difference).  Some models actually weren't manufactured until the 2nd gen came out.  For instance, the Glock 21 first gen is actually a 2nd gen if you compare it to the Glock 17.

3rd gen has the finger grooves and light rail and is current manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Somebody will post a pic soon that shows the three Gens....

When the do I'll save it and post it in the links above.
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Told ya 3 minutes , man thats a record MAX!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your help guys!  Once again, the folks on AR15.com have came through!

hail2.gif
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI - The G17 was the only Glock produced as a 1st Generation pistol. You'll find that most of the remaining models were produced as 2nd generation and 3rd generation pistols. I do stress most and not all as those like the G37 are 3rd Generation only.

One of my G17 1st Generation Pistols - It's even serial numbered to my initials ATH !!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
When did glock go to the plastic guide rod with an encapsulated spring?  Was it 2nd or 3rd gen?  Other than the the spring and the grips Glock also added a 2nd locking block pin on the .40 and .357 sig, because of the high pressure.  I believe that this was only done on the .40 and .357sig.  If I am wrong what calabers did they add the 2nd pin to?
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When did glock go to the plastic guide rod with an encapsulated spring?  Was it 2nd or 3rd gen?  Other than the the spring and the grips Glock also added a 2nd locking block pin on the .40 and .357 sig, because of the high pressure.  I believe that this was only done on the .40 and .357sig.  If I am wrong what calabers did they add the 2nd pin to?

I thought they always had a plastic guide rod with encapsulated spring...

Can't comment on the 2nd pin since I have only owned 9mms.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Would it be to much to hope to find a gen 2 1/2 g20 with rail and straight grip?
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Shadowblade

I could be totaly wrong, or I might be confusing two guns.  Just out of intrest, I am going to check in to it.  I will post what I find out.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
you guys left out the  a big difference between 1gen & 2nd  & 3rd. Drop free mags. That's why we all have that  finger hole in our back strap. Why glock hasn't sealed it up is beyond me. Some nasty stuff can fall into it and cause real problems.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not sure who makes it but their is a sholder stock for Glocks that mounts in that whole.  Drop free magizines dont always drop free.  According to Glock you should still sweep the mag to makesure it comes out.  They added the mettal to the magizines to increase the strength of the mags not to make them drop free.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]
What do you mean by "sweep the mag"?
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah i know there is a back strap plug for glocks, i have one in all  of mine.  glock started making full metal jacketed mags  not only do they increase the service life of the mag but they  help retain the value  of the mag if it's a hi-cap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I just found out today that the Gen 1 Glocks did not have an encapsulated spring and guide rod settup.  The encapsulated spring and guide rod will work with the Gen 1 Glocks so many people have replaced them with the newer ones.  

The origional Glock mags where completely plastic so they would swell sightly when loaded if you pressed the mag release with and their where a few rounds in the mag it would not drop.  So you Sweep you hand across the mag well pulling the mag out.  It is i good tecknique to do.  Some times mags for varous reasons don't fall out.  Tf you are under stress and you are expecting the mag to fall free during a mag change and for some reason it did not fall free.  You grabbed you full mag and the O' shit what do I do now factor jumps in.  You can eliminate that from hapining if you practice sweeping your mag insted of expecting it to drop free.  I have been practiceing sweeping for awhile now, it does not take any more time to do it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
FYI - The G17 was the only Glock produced as a 1st Generation pistol. You'll find that most of the remaining models were produced as 2nd generation and 3rd generation pistols. I do stress most and not all as those like the G37 are 3rd Generation only.

One of my G17 1st Generation Pistols - It's even serial numbered to my initials ATH !!!

Actually there are some 1st Gen Glock 19s out there but not very many and they're worth a lot to collectors.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Wouldnt there technically be 4 generations?? The very first glocks I shot where back in the early
80's. I dont remeber much about them except they were green.  These were the original Austrian army ones. The color was a major drawback to the us market. How times change I hear they are back to producing them in colors.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wouldnt there technically be 4 generations?? The very first glocks I shot where back in the early
80's. I dont remeber much about them except they were green.  These were the original Austrian army ones. The color was a major drawback to the us market. How times change I hear they are back to producing them in colors.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top