Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2002 7:21:25 PM EDT
I seem to have something on the rifling of my barrel and nothing I've tried seems to remove it..  I've tried brushing (800 strokes), lead out, copper solvent, and a variety of cleaners..   No luck...   Any Ideas??  one guy said it sometimes happens to Glocks and couldn't be solved...   Help!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen this happen when former roomate of mine (who is a LEO in Austin) shot all lead rounds out of his Glock.  You should never shoot all lead out of a polygonal rifled barrel.  Glocks and H&K's for example.  I don't know if you did.  If you did not, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe some else here can help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Like Chida66 said above Can you lets us
know if you shoot lead or not ?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have access to an Outers Foul Out kit I would try that. If you've shot lead bullets, get the lead out before you shoot it again. Lead in Glock bore = bad juju = possible kB!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard of that, CockedandLocked. It's a 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. If one goes that route, use due caution because I have heard of it rusting and pitting barrels. Plug one end of the barrel and pour it in the other. I wouldn't leave it in more than about 5 minutes, then rinse with water, patch 'til dry, and then oil immediately!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem with my Kel-Tec Sub-2000 after running about 800 rounds of solid lead thru it. The best solutions i found were:

a) The Hoppes Lead Removal System... drags brass mesh screens thru the barrel.

b) JB Bore Cleaning Compound (Shooters Choice Lead Remover is useless)

in the end, these products removed the lead... as an electrolytic lead and copper removal process proved... (reverse electroplating) but the barrel itself was still shot... etched, scored, covered with unremovable black spots only visible with magnification. Kel-Tec has been kind enough to build me a new gun with the same serial number but the bottom line (the one not printed in the manual) is... don't shoot lead.

I know... weird place to post my Kel-Tec problems/solutions but, since it uses Glock 17 clips... I'm doing research on Glock 17s at the moment. Seems like the obvious companion piece to the folding carbine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I am getting further off the subject, but want to ask Midiman what he thinks of the sub-2000?  Accuracy, reliability, etc.

TIA
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've heard of that, CockedandLocked. It's a 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. If one goes that route, use due caution because I have heard of it rusting and pitting barrels. Plug one end of the barrel and pour it in the other. I wouldn't leave it in more than about 5 minutes, then rinse with water, patch 'til dry, and then oil immediately!

This works, and well.  I have followed the procedure pretty closely in the past and never had a problem.  It is sometimes particularly difficult to get lead fouling out of the Glock barrels.  I used a wadded-up patch to plug the barrel.  It doesn't take more than about 5 or 10 minutes for the lead to come out.  If your barrel is particularly fouled it might take another treatment, but I have found that any remaining fouling is usually loosened up enough to scrub right out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
All my Glocks have the marks in the bbl. Unless your shooting lead, don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
my Glock 21 (.45) came with lots of marks in the barrel, but from the start it shot with outstanding accuracy, so I stopped worrying about the barrel marks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top