BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:16:15 AM EDT
Which ones if any are better than the OEM? I have a short thumb. lol

XM15carbine
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Some people like them some do not.  I personally have not taken a stance either way the ones provided by Glock are perfect for me but the extended ones are not bad.  They make some that are chromed out so you can "Pimp Your Pistol" but I do just as well with the stock ones.  I have a set of extended ones on my G37 and I can not see any improvement other then they are extended.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the factory one.  I file down the edges and corners becuse they are pretty sharp IMO.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
This.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

XM15carbine

Extended magazine releases make it easier to eject a mag when you want to. They also make it easier to eject a mag when you don't want to. Thus you should carefully evaluate extended releases to make sure you aren't setting yourself up for disaster.

All of that said, my preference is for the Vickers mag release. It's just enough to make using the release easier, but not so big that it makes it easier to eject the mag when you don't want to. All of my Glocks wear the Vickers mag releases.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Vickers%20GMR-001-2.jpg

thanks

I will have to give this one a try. The standard Glock release is just bit short, that I have to change my grip hold to depress and release a magazine.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I use this type on my G20/21L and I find it to be helpful with the large grip size, however, this isn't a CCW or HD weapon but rather a range and hunting (magwell removed) gun.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
i didn't care for the extended slide stop or the extended mag release on my 35 and recently replaced both with the standard length oem glock parts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally have no use for extended mag releases, especially on defensive sidearms, for reasons well stated by JohnWayne777.

For a small-frame Glock, the G21/20 release can be used, and it'll be slightly extended, more than the original one.

The Vickers unit is also very popular.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with the Vickers. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Why would anyone want to pay $16 for a Vickers part (LINK) when they can get the same thing as an extended Glock part for $3 (LINK)??

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It would great if someone had side by side photos of all of these Extended Releases...different angles etc.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a used Glock22 with an extended mag release.  I had it in a FOBUS holster.  I was in the woods checking tree stands and I get halfway up the ladder and zing goes the mag. I go down and get it, start back up and zing out it goes again.  A few days later I'm talking to my brother,  a LEO outside the office and telling him about it.  Another deputy walks by and hears the conversation.  He tells me they got new Glocks a few months back and all the guys complained that they get out of the car or twist around and the mag drops out.  So they get together and dremel down the extended mag release and problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XM15carbine

Extended magazine releases make it easier to eject a mag when you want to. They also make it easier to eject a mag when you don't want to. Thus you should carefully evaluate extended releases to make sure you aren't setting yourself up for disaster.

All of that said, my preference is for the Vickers mag release. It's just enough to make using the release easier, but not so big that it makes it easier to eject the mag when you don't want to. All of my Glocks wear the Vickers mag releases.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Vickers%20GMR-001-2.jpg

thanks

I will have to give this one a try. The standard Glock release is just bit short, that I have to change my grip hold to depress and release a magazine.

From what I understand thats the point, you dont want to be able to release the mag with your normal grip
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I had the glock extended release and really liked the ease with which I could eject the mag.  Then I took my first real class (Farnam) and had a situation where the mag ejected while in the holster.  Suck.  I haven't tried the Vickers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Do not put one on a CCW weapon unless you want to find your mag on the floor one day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone want to pay $16 for a Vickers part (LINK) when they can get the same thing as an extended Glock part for $3 (LINK)??

The Vickers part is not the same thing as the extended Glock mag release. It is significantly shorter than the Glock extended release and has rounded corners all in the effort  to prevent unintentional ejection of the magazine.

Which a bit of filing and/or sanding would also accomplish.  I guess I'm a bit of 'Old School' here in that I would much rather rework an existing or cheaper part rather than paying more to have someone else make it that way.  I've always been a tinkerer and just can't bring myself to pay for someone to do something I can do.

To each his own.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I run all stock on my controls. I did, however, just handle recently another arfcommer's Glock with the VIcker's installed. This is the part I would go with over the OEM if I were changing out this part. It's not all that much longer but does give you a little more when ejecting a mag.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#19]
After my department went to G35's I got use to the extended.  Just to make sure I was on the same page with all the Glock I carry on and off duty I put extended mag release and slide lock on all.  Now I prefer it over the standard any time I get a new Glock I add it now.  I have the OEM ones.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I put off getting the Vickers/Tangodown for a long time. I wanted an extended mag release as the stock part is too short and I always had to adjust my grip to access it. I didn't want the factory one as it was too long for my liking, and I felt it would make an inadvertent mag release more likely. Solution was the Vickers/Tangodown model.

The reason I kept putting off the purchase was that I couldn't justify the cost for such a small piece of plastic. Well, 3 months ago I finally caved in an ordered it. Got it straight from Tangodown as they had the cheapest price shipped from what I found. Let's just say I wish I would have bought it long ago. It's the perfect length. not too short or too long. It doesn't catch on holsters or clothing and it is very robust. I haven't had any accidental mag releases since I've been using it on my CC piece for 3 months.

http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=59

Great guys.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I buy extended ones for all of my handguns.

I file them down to the length appropriate for the pistol.

My G17 rides in duty holsters that keep it away from my body and have nothing in the way of the mag release to accidentally drop it.  I filed it down just to the point where I can lay it on its side, press down on the frame on the gun, and it will not eject the magazine.  Then I hit it with a soldering iron to give it a texture similar to the grip area on the Glock.

My G19 does double duty- sometimes it rides in a duty holster, sometimes in my MTAC, which does not shield the mag release.  So, I filed it down to just a hair shorter than the Vickers mag release, and then gave it the same texture as my G17

My G26 only rides in a MTAC, so I didn't touch the release- I left the factory one in there.  For whatever reason, the overall grip size makes it easier to eject the magazine even without the extended release, so its not a big deal.

My G21 mag release also sticks out to the point where its not a big deal.  The larger grip makes me shift my grip slightly to drop a mag, so an extended release really wont help.  I may get a LWD extended one, file it and texture it to see how it handles but I dont really see the need as of now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to have alot of trouble dropping mags quickly, but now I've adjusted.

Still I think I might try the Glock extended release and cut it to exactly the size I want with the majik dremel tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top