Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2009 7:50:00 AM EDT
Hello Glock Forum.

Without asking my more specific question, (I don't want to influence anyone's response) what is the proper procedure for making a glock pistol "safe" after firing?
If the answer is different absed on a particular scanario, please explain why.

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Mag out + Slide locked back = safe
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello Glock Forum.

Without asking my more specific question, (I don't want to influence anyone's response) what is the proper procedure for making a glock pistol "safe" after firing?
If the answer is different absed on a particular scanario, please explain why.

thanks in advance.

Not enough info; do you mean after firing the last round, or while there is still one in the chamber?
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
finger off the trigger and straight along the frame.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
finger off the trigger and straight along the frame.

+1!
That's what I do and my Glock is rendered as safe as a loaded revolver.  

bouble +1
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]

My glock is always safe, because I'm not moron, I train, and I don't handle it drunk or otherwise impaired.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#7]
One range that I shoot 3 gun on requires us to drop the mag, pull round from chamber, point down range and pull the trigger before reholstering when our run is finished.

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Take the magazine out and eject the bullet that is currently  in the chamber.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#9]
There is more than one correct answer depending on exactly what it is you want to know.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
After shooting. Place finger on the side of frame. Reload if needed. Place gun in holster. Now the gun is safe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Depends on what you mean by "after firing".

Are you at the range?: Slide back empty mag and barrel=safe
Is this after shooting in a CCW situation?: Finger off trigger, slowly reholster=safe
Are you handing the gun to someone? like an officer? Slide back empty barrel no mag=safe
Are leaving the gun on the ground and walking away? empty and lock the bitch=safe

My Glocks perfectly safe in my hands, if my finger is off the trigger.   If its anywhere other than my hands, and its loaded, then it needs to be in its holster.

Whats your more specific question????
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Slide locked to the rear with no mag

or

round in the chamber finger off trigger along the frame

or

round in the chamber in a good holster covering the entire trigger guard area
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
To be made safe after firing..........................

no different than any other autopistol.  Drop mag, lock slide back, verify empty chamber.  It's now unloaded, and safe.

Or..........

a loaded Glock is made safe by taking finger off trigger, and reholstering.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Glocks are always safe.

Its the people handling them you have to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This..
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks to all who posted replies.

The post quoted below fairly characterizes a recent encounter I had.
I believe the last step to be unnecessary, particularly because in order to return the pistol to a situation in which it could be fired, a magazine containing rounds would have to be inserted and the slide would have to be racked- and the fact that the trigger is or is not set on an empty chamber is of little consequence, as it would be impossible or nearly so, to get a round into the chamber without re-setting the trigger.

However, I'm not the range master, and I defer to those with greater experience.  It seems as though this is a situation where I would graciously comply with the "local" rules.

Thanks for calling me a troll (good thing I didn't ask an open ended question about a TR24 in the optics forum  )

Quoted:
One range that I shoot 3 gun on requires us to drop the mag, pull round from chamber, point down range and pull the trigger before reholstering when our run is finished.

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mag out + Slide locked back = safe

This applies to any firearm in my experience.  This is a term one usually hears on a firing line.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Most of the action shooting sports, IDPA, IPSC, Bianchi, etc.  require that at the end of your run, you "unload and show clear".  eject the mag, lock the slide back, show R.O. empty chamber.  After that, the next instruction is usually, "slide down, hammer down, holster".  Just like it sounds, let the slide forward, pull the trigger, and return the gun to the holster.  The pulling of the trigger is to be certain there is/was nothing in the chamber before going into the holster.  Statistically, more negligent shootings occur during holstering/reholstering.  As for the sports involved, and the scoring that accompany them, if, when you pull the trigger the gun fires(because there was still one in there that the R.O. didn't see), you are deducted points for failure to make safe.  So by pulling the trigger to release the firing pin by whatever means the gun uses, there is no doubt that there was nothing in the chamber, since no loaded guns are permitted off the firing line/shooting stage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]
that makes sense.
I would have thought that a ND at an USPSA or IDPA event would get you a DQ and/or worse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
my finger is my safety
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
my finger is my safety

my brain is my safety.

some people just come without one.  :D
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Depends on your definition of "safe".

For carry my gun is "safe" when in my holster.
for kids, my gun is safe when I teach them about it... and then lock it away in my safe.
For someone scared of guns they may not feel safe until the gun is torn apart and ammo is no where near the gun.
For IDPA its safe once I prove it's safe, open chamber, RO checks it, close and dry fire, then holster with no mag in gun.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#25]
USPSA a ND is a DQ and a trip home.  For 3 gun purposes a glock is made safe by simply laying it down.  Ie shoot pistol, place in the box, grab rifle and shoot some more targets.  The 1911 needs to have the safety put on for this purpose.  The only way you can leave a gun is if the safety is on or the gun is empty.  At the end you still do the unload and show clear, hammer down and holster the same as the uspsa matches just with more guns to do it for
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I would think...

"a Glock pistol is "made safe" when....."

Uh, never handle any pistol as if it were "safe".

Just because the mag is out does not give you permission to put your finger on the trigger.
Just because you have ejected a round from the chamber does not give you permission to put your finger on the trigger.
Just because you have made your pistol "safe" never gives you permission to point it in any direction other than you intended target.
Even in the previous stated steps to make a pistol safe, standard gun safety rules should always apply.

Brad

Add: Page "2" OWNED!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#27]
A glock is made safe after it's put in a bunker and detonated by the local pd bomb squad.

In all seriousness I'd say it's safely loaded as long as you don't finger the trigger.  To make completely range safe? Mag out, slide locked back, check/clear the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Its never safe.  Treat every gun like its loaded.

With that said.  disassembled with bbl removed and a tie wrap through the ejection port is what I do when teaching a class and I need to point it around the room.

After that in decreasing order of safety

1) slide back, mag out - appropriate for handing to another person
2) mag out, slide racked, point downrange, pull trigger, holstered.  - how gun is made "safe" during a match
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Dang it I used post 223 for this...
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My glock is always safe, because I'm not moron, I train, and I don't handle it drunk or otherwise impaired.

I agree for the most, except several of my coworkers 3 to be exact have purchased Glock 19 in the last few months for conceal carry and they don't have skills in my opinion to carry a Glock with one in the chamber. Accidents waiting to happen. Yes, you and many may call them morons but I have suggested to all 3 that they consider a quality pistol with a manual safety for conceal carry.  These are people that have never read a gun article, no gun forums etc.  For this reason I don't consider a Glock safe for inexperience people while conceal carry.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess my experience on pistol ranges involved a lot of RSO's finishing a string with, "Shooters, make your weapon safe."

For revolvers this meant:

1.  Open the action
2.  Dump the empties
3.  Maintain open action until inspection by RSO
4.  Maintain open action while gun is on table, or in a holster.

For autos:
1.  Drop the mag
2.  Lock the slide back
3.  Visual Inspection by RSO  
4.  Maintain slide lock the ENTIRE time the weapon is not loaded and pointed at a target OR drop slide, and re-holster

What it means for me at my house is very different, depending on where in the house.  In the safe all weapons are stored empty, hammer down on empty chamber.  In the bedroom, "safe" means in a lockbox, loaded mag, empty chamber.  On my being, or in a car, "safe" means that the gun is in an appropriate case (usually unloaded) or in a holster (much more likely loaded).

shooter
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree for the most, except several of my coworkers 3 to be exact have purchased Glock 19 in the last few months for conceal carry and they don't have skills in my opinion to carry a Glock with one in the chamber. Accidents waiting to happen. Yes, you and many may call them morons but I have suggested to all 3 that they consider a quality pistol with a manual safety for conceal carry.  These are people that have never read a gun article, no gun forums etc.  For this reason I don't consider a Glock safe for inexperience people while conceal carry.

Wow… that’s not cool. People who are improperly trained are dangerous with ANY firearm. If I were you and that were my job, I would ask those guys to go to the range so that you could assess their skills then offer some safety tips and express your concerns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#33]
i remember this being an issue in some competition where they dont allow glocks bc you cannot go hammer down without pulling the trigger.  they also didnt allow 1911s since you couldnt put the hammer down without touching the hammer which they deemed unsafe.  basically, you can only shoot guns that have decockers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
IBM_db2

I disagree with both you and your co-workers.  You are thinking of things the wrong way.  Its not a matter of skill that determines if you should carry full or empty chamber.   A novice who can otherwise handle a glock safely can carry with a loaded chamber if he is equipped properly.   Conversely, an expert, pocket carrying a gun like a glock 26 should carry empty chamber.  

On a glock, or any other modern pistol without a manual safety, the holster is an integral part of the "safety" of the weapon.

If I was carrying a 19 in a belly band, I'd carry empty chamber.

If I was carrying in a kydex or stiff leather thumb break holster that completely covered the trigger guard I would not hesitate to carry it with one in the chamber.  

Again, I STRONGLY disagree with your recommendation that they use a weapon with a manual safety.  For a novice, its just 1 more thing to remember.  Again, better that they use a good thumb break holster rather than carry a gun with a manual safety.  

Either way, you neeed to practice shooting defensively the way you carry.  That includes drawing and racking the slide.  Even 1 handed.  

Don (NRA pistol instructor, IDPA Expert)
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#35]
When it's disassembled and no ammo is near it.

Well, actually that's just when it can't explode in your hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top