Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2008 6:13:15 PM EDT
Welll after seeing the results of this Presidential election and feeling bummed out about the results so far I decided to go to my local fun shop.  I called the fun shop before I arrived there to see how much the Glock 21SF and 19 were.  Got to play around with both of them and I love both but I decided on the 19 since I already own a 17.  I will pick her up on the 15th.   I was just wondering if the 19 will be able to shoot +P+ rounds or should I stick with the less powerful defensive rounds?  I have to purchase a holster and magazines for the 19 along with night sights.  Any other recommendations that I should know about?  Thanks in advance.

PS Did I make the wrong choice?
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one.  It's a great gun and the one I usually carry.  +P+ is fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking to pick up some 10 round magazines for the G19.  Any recommendations on a website that might sell them less than $25?

Has anyone purchased Glock Magazines from The Country Shed before?
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You made a great choice, OP.  Great pistol right there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You made a great choice, OP.  Great pistol right there.

+1

it is +p+ rated; h/w, imo, for defensive uses, its fine to stick w/ std pressures or at max, a mid 120 or so gr at +p..

stick to factory mags
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I will let you know shortly if you made a bad decision............

I just called the fun shop. I asked if they had a G19 in stock. They did, $479 + tax and BC.

As soon as I hit send I'm heading that way.

Would like to have got a 21sf. But I bought 2000 rounds of 9mm last week. And I have a feeling you won't be able to find anything for a few weeks if ever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will let you know shortly if you made a bad decision............

I just called the fun shop. I asked if they had a G19 in stock. They did, $479 + tax and BC.

As soon as I hit send I'm heading that way.

Would like to have got a 21sf. But I bought 2000 rounds of 9mm last week. And I have a feeling you won't be able to find anything for a few weeks if ever.

Still cheaper than Northern VA. They go for about $540 +/- $15 at local shops here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a good deal to me, got mine about 5 months ago love it and hes right in Northern VA that price is set
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Glock 19 is a GREAT choice.  I have two with night sights.  They shoot great no matter what you runthrough them.  +P+ is fine ammo!
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
10 round magazines
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i brought my G19 yesterday also and I have 7 mags with it now
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought my 2nd G19 a few weeks ago in honor of the election.

May just buy a 3rd if the opportunity arises before the OPPORTUNITY IS GONE FOREVER.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
RA9TA
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to the ammo forum and read up on ammo choices.  If I understood the tacked thread correctly, you don't need +p or anything like that for defensive rounds.  Also, excellent choice on the 19.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Federal 9BPLE (115+P+) is an excellent self defense round. Proven time and again on the street.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Good carry gun.  Small enough to conceal.  High round count.  Reliable as a toaster.  What's not to like!
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good carry gun.  Small enough to conceal.  High round count.  Reliable as a toaster.  What's not to like!

That's why I bought one for each of my grandkids.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Nite-sites

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
10 round magazines

Can you do pre-bans?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone own the XS night sights?  I am looking at purchasing night sights for my 17 and 19. I am looking at Trijicon or XS night sights.  I am not sure if the XS equipped Glock will fit in a holster.  Thank you

ETA: Grammar
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 round magazines

Can you do pre-bans?

Not in Cali.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone own the XS night sights?  I am looking at purchasing night sights for my 17 and 19. I am looking at Trijicon or XS night sights.  I am not sure if the XS equipped Glock will fit in a holster.  Thank you

I'm one of the resident XS Big Dot fanboys.  Get 'em!!!!!  
I have them on all my self-defense pistols and have never had an issue with them fitting in any holster.  

Here's my standard XS Big-Dot Rant

*Why Big Dot Sights?
I've done a lot of Force on Force exercises and scenarios as a student and as a roleplayer.  We've used converted Glock 17s - 2 of them with Big Dots and one of them with Meprolight night sights. By the end of day 1, 95% of the students want to use the Big Dots exclusively.  Under stress (even the mock stress of FOF) the eye has a LOT of trouble focusing on your front sight.  With the Big Dot, it provides a MUCH better reference point for where your gun is oriented and where you're going to make hits.  

How to use XS Big Dots - Video
Distance Shooting with XS Big Dots
XS Sight Install

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I had XS Big Dots and could not get used to them.  I do like the large front sight, but I find I am faster and more accurate with another style of sights.  

I would try out a few different sights before purchasing a set (if you have the option of doing so).  If you go with the Big Dots you might get get a winner from step one.  If you don't like them you can sell them and get something else (my set sold in a few hours in the EE).

I also had no problems with holster fit and the Big Dots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#23]
the 19 is the best out there! it has a following because it works, it's comfortable, it's accurate and deadly reliable! mine's six months old and has 5000 rds through it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm one of the resident XS Big Dot fanboys.  Get 'em!!!!!  
I have them on all my self-defense pistols and have never had an issue with them fitting in any holster.  

Here's my standard XS Big-Dot Rant

*Why Big Dot Sights?
I've done a lot of Force on Force exercises and scenarios as a student and as a roleplayer.  We've used converted Glock 17s - 2 of them with Big Dots and one of them with Meprolight night sights. By the end of day 1, 95% of the students want to use the Big Dots exclusively.  Under stress (even the mock stress of FOF) the eye has a LOT of trouble focusing on your front sight.  With the Big Dot, it provides a MUCH better reference point for where your gun is oriented and where you're going to make hits.  

How to use XS Big Dots - Video
Distance Shooting with XS Big Dots
XS Sight Install

+1 to all the above.

i tried the XSs a couple yrs back (sm dots)...the big dots pick up a lot quicker, and i would go that route

i know a couple folks who also cant get use to em for some reason (i mean, its simply a meaure of getting your eye and brain to look for that sight picture/front sight/etc) and connect...oh well, YMMV
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The 19 is A handgun. It is THE handgun.

hell yeah! i wish i purchased one sooner, before the G22...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
<snip>
i know a couple folks who also cant get use to em for some reason (i mean, its simply a meaure of getting your eye and brain to look for that sight picture/front sight/etc) and connect...oh well, YMMV

I've tried the Big Dot on my Glock 26 for a couple months and about 1k rounds.  No dice.  I was not consistant in my groups as I was all over the place.  I put the front dot on the target and lined up the rear sight with the front but couldn't get the results like the XS Sight video.  I'm always tempted to try it again on my Glock 26 but I just hate to get frustrated again.  No problems with my Meprolight nights sights.  Line everything up and BANG in the 10 spot or at least close to it.

Back on topic, the Glock 19 is one of the if not the most popular model of all the Glock line has to offer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

PS Did I make the wrong choice?

Fuck no! You made an excellent choice.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#29]
good choice!

I've owned the 17 as well, would like to get another, along with a 23, 36, 34, and........

btw, I carry just 115gr JHP
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Best all 'round Glock is easily the G19.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I think I would do a set of Heinie Straight 8s over any other sight on a Glock 19.

I have Trijicons on my (well.... the wife's) Glock 19 and when some extra cash comes along the Straight 8s are going on there.

Overall the Glock 19 is one of the handiest pistols you can own...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top