Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 11:15:23 AM EDT
1911's that ALREADY exist,even if all 1911 production stopped. Since there are a dozen outfits making 1911's, and I mean actually producing the parts. I doubt very much that the Glocks even outdo CURRENT production!  :-) They also don't win many matches, except where they exclude the other gun  types. Cooper has the Glock, and its fans nailed on the head when he says it's a good choice for those who don't REALLY pursue excellance in performance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The 1911 is a wonderful gun. It is the easiest gun to shoot well, partly because of it's single action trigger. Becoming a good shot with a Glock takes a bit more work. The 1911 has won many matches. But winning matches or shooting tight groups has nothing to do with saving your life. I have better things to do in a self defense situation than question if my thumb safety is on or off. Or if the grip safety is activated. That solid grip you have on the 1911 at the range may be impossible to obtain with your left hand, while you are wet, bleeding, and fighting for your life on the ground and in the dark. The limited capacity of the 1911 is also an obvious drawback.

I like 1911's. I have owned a few, and currently own a Les Baer. If you are going protect yourself with one of these tight fitting guns(almost all new 1911 are VERY tight)make sure it is clean. And know how to use it.

I carry a Glock 17 (it is the fullsize chambered for the "weak 9mm")
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Your lack of info is showing. It's the GLOCK that has  the problem with not being gripped correctly, not the 1911. It's been known for decades that the 1911 reliability test is to fire it held upside down, triggering it with the pinkie. The REASON you are likely to be on the ground and bleeding is that you didn't hit as swiftly or as hard, and you won't get to USE all those rds in G17. The grip safety has long been known to cause all sorts of problems. I just deactivate it, and I'll deal with any legal problems that that may cause AFTER I win the actual FIGHT. My money is where only I know it is, and my sort of work will not encourage any "contingency fee" attorneys to have any hope of making a dime off of me. Maybe new Kimbers and Springfields are "tight" but if you think even MOST of the GI type guns are anything but buckets of bolts, your ignorance is again showing. Ditto if you think that all the top IPSC hands use guns that aren't reliable. Whether or not matches help depends on who designs them and who runs them. I've done both, and 20 years of carry, handgun hunting, and Karate experience has gone into the way I teach, along with another 15 years of study. If the 200,000 rds I have thru the 1911-style guns,along with the million or so draws and drysnaps don't suffice, I rather doubt that your experience with the Glock will.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
To each his own.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like the 1911 and someday hope to own one. However [triple layer nomex on] if it is so "good" out of the box, why is there a multi-million dollar a year after market business selling "better then stock" parts for them?

Look at the industry created around the 10/22, for example. Some folks feel more comfortable with some personal touches, all the way to full "race" guns. Anything can be modified or improved upon and the 1911 stood the test of time, a few times over. Granted, some gizmos are like adding fender skirts to a Ferrari, but after all, its their money.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the 1911 and someday hope to own one. However [triple layer nomex on] if it is so "good" out of the box, why is there a multi-million dollar a year after market business selling "better then stock" parts for them?

Well put. However, consider that mfgrs have to make a profit on each gun & usually take the low bidder on their parts. An owner has no such limits & can up-grade accordingly. There is an increasingly bigger market on Glock parts though. Even barrels, which is surprising given the Glock's general accuracy capability. Also the after market parts boom was for both mil-surp 1911s which needed up-grading or Colt barnd, which wouldn't feed hollow points w/o a feed & polish job (alledgedly). Modern 1911s such as Springfield Armory & Kimber don't seem to have these sort of problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez, jett3, what's next, the "AR vs. AK" fight all over again?  I have Glocks and 1911s.  None of them are for sale.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't matter guys if Jett wins the gun fight and gets caught he is going back to prison for a very long time.

Isn't that right FELON?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It doesn't matter guys if Jett wins the gun fight and gets caught he is going back to prison for a very long time.

Isn't that right FELON?

huh?

...i...er...like both!
although i have met glocks and 1911's that i hated.
my friend has a fullsize colt that not only shoots like dookie, but looks and feels like it too.  i also shot a glock 36 and damn near threw it back at the owner. its accuracy was atrocious and it was waaaay to skinny for my hands. does that mean i take it out against all 1911's or glocks? hell no! i shot a g19or17 (cant remember) that with the addition of a hogue grip kicked major ass! and was a dream to shoot. i've also had the peasure to shoot 1911's that made me look like a much better shot than i really am.
i will extend this offer to anyone on these boards.  if you hate your glock or 1911 i will take it NO QUESTIONS ASKED!
(well, other than "is it stolen"?)
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both and carry a Kimber 1911 on duty.

I like both a lot but pefer the Kimber for duty because I shoot better with it.

When it came time to buy my wife a pistol, after looking at several guns, she settled on a .38 spl stainless revolver.
When she shot it she really didn't like it, so after shooting one of my Glocks (19) she wanted one. I bought her a Glock 19. She LOVES it and shoots it REALLY well. She doesn't have to worry about a safety to click off.

She loves the way it fits her hand and if a bad guy comes at her, just aim and shoot. Two Hi-Cap mags make sure she has enough ammo and is trained to handle most malfunctions.

My point is this:
Glock makes a damn fine weapon
There not for everyone
Different guns for different people

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The 1911 is over-rated.

Im may be the best gun in the world, but it still gets too much cover time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Jett3 seems to love to tell other people how stupid they are, how smart he is, and what a great fighter and shooter he is.  Sheesh.  I don't care for Glocks, but that is me.  I am not gonna go somewhere and tell people who like them that they don't have a clue, except some close personal friends of mine
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it was Einstein who said:"exceptional thoughts instantly create massive attacks by the mediocre".  I have never been afraid of other's disapproval, obviously. I do my OWN thinking about what's what. Everyone committs felonies, nearly every day. It's been unavoidable in the US for decades now. Nothing that I have done should even BE illegal. Your stupidity about drugs and this new "terrorist" crap is going to be the end of your guns. Just watch. For the guy who is ignorant of the versions of the 1911 that are smaller and lighter than the Glock:"Wake up". You will never see me advocating the carry of a GM, it is too big and heavy, but the alloy compacts are more comfortably concealed than the  Glocks. If you worry about "missing" the safety, you lack a speed safety, and you don't know to leave your thumb atop the safety as you are firing. So it is your lack of ability that is the issue, not any deficiency of the 1911's. Such people would "miss" the brake pedal when something suddenly happened as they drive. They shouldn't drive, and they shouldnt carry a gun, either, for the same reason. They are inept.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Everyone committs felonies, nearly every day. It's been unavoidable in the US for decades now. Nothing that I have done should even BE illegal.

Huh?  Everyone commits a felony nearly every day?  Unavoidable felonies?

What you did was illegal, that you think it shouldn't be is irrelevant.
Drunks think that they are OK to drive even though they can barely walk too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
i think the 1911 is a lot like the old harley davidsons. they are those who swear by them. and like the 1911, if you do alot of work and tuning they are fine. the old saying that 90% of them are still on the road! to me says 10% of them made it home!  that's why i ride a honda, and carry a glock 27.  besides im to good looking to ride a harley!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
archeology has shown that cockroaches came before humans on earth.  history has shown that 1911's (not a bad handgun), was created and manufactured before any glock.  both have a place in this world, but i rather not go to bed with a cockroach.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you all missed the point... Jett had to disconnect a safety devise(thereby making him a felon)that has been known to cause problems. He even admitted that this fact has been known for years. Yet the manufactures of this paper weight have done nothing to fix this problem. I do know that when I go for my CC weapon I choose my G29 because it has no defects....

If a person has to modify his/her weapon right from the get go; I think its safe to say it's a piece of dog Doo Doo.
Call me Crazy but I think the Felon should stick to the old man section. Thank GOD the baby boomers that love these 1911 are over the hill! Take that Felon
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got 1911s and Glocks.  I like 'em both.  I am in no way related to jett3.  Jett(the original)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:Everyone committs felonies, nearly every day. It's been unavoidable in the US for decades now. Nothing that I have done should even BE illegal... They shouldn't drive, and they shouldnt carry a gun, either, for the same reason. They are inept.

...Sounds more like your last line explains the first... Nefarious behavior is just another example of inept, rationalize all you wish...

Now as to the 1911/Glock debate... the best is what works for you.  If your 1911 works for you, use it.  My Glocks works for me.  My Colt and Kimber are safe queens, only seeing daylight on range days... Remember, it's not the weapon, it's the person behind it.

Besides, if the crap hits the fan I'm grabbin' one of my Armalite AR's, not a damn handgun.  But if it comes down to it, I'd rather have my Glock at my side... confidence is everything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top