Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 4:53:23 PM EDT
For the first 7 years of carrying a firearm I carried a 1911.  A few moths ago I switched my carry gun to a Glock 19.  Each time I go to the range I still am amazed how much I like that Glock.  
Well I am not a great shot at all, when I got board of shooting 10- 15 yrds away I would go up to the rifle range and shoot at bowling pins from 50 to 170 yrds with my 1911.  At 50 yd it was not to bad maybe 5 hits out of 8 shots, holding the sights just over the pin.  And at 170 ydrs I would pick a spot on the bank behind the pin, about  3' above the pin. Most the time I would hit it atleast once per mag.

Well since a carry the G19 now (and with ammo priceshoot
It might be I suck        but ammo prices are hurting my wallet anyway  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, 9mm is an economical choice.  I randomly switch back and forth between a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Glock 26 as my carry piece.  The only downside I can think of is the different "natural point of aim" intrinsic to the geometry of each weapon.  The Glock points higher for me, and I have to remember to aim lower when I switch between them at the range.  For me, neither is any more accurate than the other.  I do tend to reflexively shoot better with the Glock, and I have a better carry rig for it.  

I have never tried to hit anything out past 25 meters, but it sounds like fun....

Many experts (mostly web-only experts) say that it isn't ideal to practice with more than one carry piece.  Apparently I don't care, as I have knowingly done it for five years.  I guess I won't win against the guy who only practices with one weapon, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It probably isnt a good idea to some, and I have been cautioned about using different handguns, but I transition between my Kimber and Glock 34 without any problems  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
9mm is a faster round. I'm sure that is a big part of it at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about shooting the 1911, as I don't own one, but I do own a G19. I'm a fairly new shooter, but I find I stray off target if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing.

No matter whether rapid fire / IDPA practice, or slow paper shooting, I shoot the Glock well when I pull the trigger safety back, until the trigger is shorter, then press straight back to fire and resetting only to the short trigger pull, then pressing back again for follow up shots.

In other words, if I pull the trigger straight back from full forward position for first, or follow up shots, my aim suffers, as I have a tendancy to pull or jerk the gun more, typically resulting in a low and/or left shot, whereas if I reset to the short trigger pull, I'm much more steady and subsequently accurate.

I can only assume that setting/resetting the trigger to this point would be more similar to a cocked 1911?

Don't know if that's relevant or helpful, just sharing my limited experience...

Karz
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For the first 7 years of carrying a firearm I carried a 1911.  A few moths ago I switched my carry gun to a Glock 19.  Each time I go to the range I still am amazed how much I like that Glock.  
Well I am not a great shot at all, when I got board of shooting 10- 15 yrds away I would go up to the rifle range and shoot at bowling pins from 50 to 170 yrds with my 1911.  At 50 yd it was not to bad maybe 5 hits out of 8 shots, holding the sights just over the pin.  And at 170 ydrs I would pick a spot on the bank behind the pin, about  3' above the pin. Most the time I would hit it atleast once per mag.

Well since a carry the G19 now (and with ammo prices ) I shoot the glock abit more.  I was shooting at 50ydrs with the G19 and smacking the pin around a bit...... I tryed over 50yrds  and I could hit any thing lol.  So I got out my 1911..............  I could hit crap!!!!!   10 -15 ydrs I was tearing up soda cans, but I could not hit passed that for anything.   Has anyone found a problem with going from a glock to a 1911???

It might be I suck        but ammo prices are hurting my wallet anyway  

Let me make a suggestion about shooting handguns at long ranges. (apologies to Elmer Keith)  Instead of picking a spot out above your target, hold @ 6 o'clock on your target and just raise your front sight up, relative to your rear sight, in order to compensate for drop.  That way, you always see your target, no matter the distance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Many experts (mostly web-only experts) say that it isn't ideal to practice with more than one carry piece. Apparently I don't care, as I have knowingly done it for five years.

lol, thats awesome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top