Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2007 3:41:11 PM EDT
Hey all,

I'm an avid Glock shooter and owner, as well as the department I currently work for and the last one I work for issue Glocks out as well.

Just got the newest "On Target" magazine, the free one you can get at gunshops, have delivered to the PD, or pick up at Sports Authority or other places...

The ad on the back cover is for Glock, a letter written in from the Biloxi city PD and in it the person writing the letter says "no other manufacture" instead of "no other manufactureR"

just reminded me of the HK poster where the rounds are loaded backwards, and YES, I know that GLock didn't WRITE the letter, but they could have contacted the guy and had the grammar/spelling corrected before putting it into permanent advertising.

In addition, it talks about how the guns were submerged, then detail stripped, cleaned, inspected, and put back together by the department and THEN fired and guess what?  They WORKED....

I guess I just expect too much from my guns?  I can't think of ANY guns that I own that would NOT work if I were to follow this process.

Yeah, I know it's a silly post and not much to it, I'm going to see if I can locate the ad so I can post a pic of it...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that's the one... my thought exactly... I think I could take ALL of the guns that I own, even the lever-action and submerge them, then detail strip, clean, and have them work... I agree that Glocks are wonderful guns, just that the way the letter is written doesn't make it seem all that exceptional.

Not like the one that was found underwater after 4 months or something, got sprayed with lube and still fired... THAT was a testament to the Glock that I can identify with...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I expect every gun I own to respond to the occasional dunk and keep working at least until I can detail strip and clean it that evening. Most everything (handgun wise) has got some water on it all the way up to me falling on my ass in a river with a carry piece. It had better still work. Remember when guns were expected to go through combat?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They were probably reluctant to alter the letter and also reluctant to point out a spelling mistake to a police chief willing to help them out with advertising. I agree with you that they would have been better off just photoshopping the correct spelling in

is this the guy who talked about his officers' guns being submerged while they were working a flood?

edit I love my glocks but I expect my many decades old S&W Chief's special would work just fine if I submerged it then cleaned it.

I dont know about that after being under salt water for a week.  I got to clean some peoples guns after Katrina and the 2 guns that did best as far as rust and stuff were Glocks and AR15's.  Most everything else was rusted to heck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't the magazine re-print the letters?

Maybe someone at On Target messed up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 3:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
yeah, I wouldn't call under salt water for a week, "a little dunk."
Bill
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've decided not to devote a nanosecond of my time, beyond these few keyboard taps, to worrying about cops' letters that Glock chooses to use in advertising.  If the guy could spell, he'd be doing something else for a living!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I first saw that ad in the Glock Annual and had to laugh.  I'd wear any of my S&W's, Sigs, Berettas, Kimbers, Colts, etc on duty, let them submerge, and I wouldn't worry about them functioning again, especially after being detail stripped and cleaned!

That police chief must be an avid firearms authority, knowing that no other manufacturer's handguns could have survived that, huh?

In that same annual, they reprinted a letter they received about a shooting.  I remember that two of them were pathetic, but I can only remember what one of them was right now.  A father and son were victims of a home invasion, or something like that, and the father fired one shot and both perps ran from the scene.  It was "determined" by the police, since they could not find a bullet hole anywhere and nobody turned up at a hospital, that he hit the perp, he later died, and the other perp disposed of the body somewhere where nobody could find it to avoid charges.

If that's the best they could come up with for that magazine, which is basically an advertisement, they NEED to get all the staff back in the advertisement department that jumped ship and went to S&W!

As for the Chief's grammer mistake, I'm not going to comment on that, since I don't know the man, or his reputation.  But, I will say that you don't need to be smart in any way to be a Chief.  In a town near the one I work in, I know of an officer who was promoted to Chief who graduated LAST in his academy class, and came up with reasons to get out of the daily PT all but THREE DAYS OF THE WHOLE ACADEMY!  It used to be the joke "What do you call the person who graduated last in his academy class?.......Officer".  Now, it's Chief!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmmm........Now it looks like it may be Glock altering the letter for their advertisement.  Looking at the back cover of a newer On Target magazine, it now reads "Not very many manufacturers make a pistol that can be submerged in saltwater and then be cleaned and returned to duty".  And, he completes the letter by saying "Glock pistols are without a doubt equal to or better than any pistol made in the world today".

So, is it that Glock suddenly got ethical and printed the letter as it appeared, or did Chief Dunagan tell them to either print the letter as he wrote it or not print it at all?  Makes me wonder now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top