Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 7:51:37 PM EDT
I've seen some replacement barrels that are supposed to be semi-supported. Would that solution help any? Anybody have any suggestions or sources? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
kB's can happen in any gun with any barrel. As long as you ...
1. clean your barrel regularly
2. Do not shoot lead over 1000 fps, and clean it every 500 rounds
3. Do not shoot double charged reloads, check your brass on reloads
You'll be fine.

If you want a aftermarket barrel for piece of mind and a little added accuracy then go for it. Just know that the stck barrel is fine if you use some common sense
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe just upgrade your ammo.

I think Glock KB's are really hyped up. I have seem Glocks woth Thoushads of rounds through them ! .40 Caliber on thop of that with no KB'S!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
HI,

If you have a G22 get a Bar-sto, I have G22 and it did a KBS right in my hand just got some powder burns thank god. The Bar-sto will give more suppore than the factory barrel will. By the way I was not even shooting lead, the bullets were copper plated. Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
By the way I was not even shooting lead, the bullets were copper plated. Thanks,Kev

Was it factory ammo or reloads?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anybody have any suggestions or sources?

Shoot factory jacketed loads; clean afterward.  No KB's.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not shoot lead bullets in a Glock.  The tighter gas seal of the Glocks hexagonal rifling when fowled with lead increases chamber pressures to dangerous levels.  I personally feel that this is the source of the Glock KB legend.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting KB observation, and I mean I observe this with my own eyes-

I have a collection of once fired 40S&W brass.

The majority of this brass has a very visible (like, .02-.03 inch on the OD) bulge in the head (back end, near the extractor groove) of the brass. That's a high pressure sign, for sure.

This brass is from a variety of manufacturers, and was shot in a variety of guns.

I would never ever ever NEVER resize and reload this brass. It's scrap.

On the other hand, the Winchester White Box stuff (185 grain) is absolutely normal from my G24c and G22.

My conclusion is that .40 S&W is sometimes factory loaded to the redline. Some chambers may be oversize (I suspect my  carbine has a big chamber.) Hot factory loads- I don't shoot 'em much, I prefer target loads. I would pass on reloading that brass.

Lighter target loads, I will reload with other jacketed target loads. I will keep an eagle eye on the condition of the brass, especially the head region near the web.

So boys, take a carefull look at your brass, and report back what you see!

I believe the 40S&W is sometimes loaded right to the redline. I have no need to push that hard. Anything I shoot still kicks ass on any 9mm. Any more than that, bust out the Casull.

Pete

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Greetings,

I have experience with this and the Glk 22 .40 sw KB. I did some research on the issue, since I have one Glock in .40.  The consensus is that some early factory .40 brass did not have as high an internal taper to the base of the brass and contributed to the KBs.  There are other instances of this, but that seems to be the major contributor.  Although the case is somewhat supported, many match grade aftermarket barrels offer a different contour ramp that supports the brass lower and closer to the base.  I changed my .40 to .357 and use a KKM stainless match barrel.  I would never reload any .40 SW brass and would never shoot any reloads of any sort in that caliber.  That is just my personal preference.  If I planned to shoot any more .40, I would change that barrel too.

Lead in a Glock?  There's an urban legend.  I have been shooting literally thousands of lead and plated reloads in my Glock 17, 19, 26, and 21. My brother has too in his 19 and 21. Lead has NEVER built up in the chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top