Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 11:40:04 AM EDT
I have an older Glock 19 under my Pillow and was wondering how safe that pistol is with a round in the chamber?

Maybe better not to have one in the Chamber?

What Ya Think?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with Aimless, I wouldn't have any gun under my pillow; the age of the Glock, however, should not have an affect on the safety of the gun with a loaded chamber.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Guns under pillows, are not a good idea, find a safer place.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
See Above ^^^^^^^^^^ those guys nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Although a round in the chamber with Glocks is not a bad idea. Having one under a pillow is not something I would do.

Nightmares, sub consciously handling the firearm during sleep, accidental bumps on the trigger can set it off.

With that said, for my CHL I keep a round in the chamber at all times. For in home, I would rather keep it in the night stand or one of them mini handgun safes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Your G19 will be just fine with one in the pipe.
But its tru that you may want to have a different place to put it while you sleep.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Well that reminds me of a true story that happened in Fla when I lived there. An individual had kept a loaded .38 next to their phone on the night stand . One evening they got a call, and woke from a very deep sleep and picked up the .38 put it to their head and pulled the trigger. It took the police a few days to figure it out, and this has been a story to all the firearms safety classes that were taught by the police depart since.

IMHO the best recommendation put the gun in a holster and place it in Mini-safe or in a drawer so you will be at least conscious of your actions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun under pillow...we may have a Darwin Award Nomination in progress here!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Could he mean under the pillow mattress?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Instead of putting the pistol under your pillow, get a pajama IWB holster.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I suggest leaving the chamber empty with a loaded mag.  Chambering a glock in a pinch is easier than you think.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
An individual had kept a loaded .38 next to their phone on the night stand . One evening they got a call, and woke from a very deep sleep and picked up the .38 put it to their head and pulled the trigger.

Not only a crazy story, but a mass suicide at that! THEY put it to THEIR head?! You figure the shot would wake the next one up! I guess the next one(s) was/were in a real deep sleep! or perhaps it's a schizo! Ahh that's it. Billy got a call from himself, and to get back for disturbing him at that late hour billy got even with billy by shooting himself in the head!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock 19 with a round in the chamber is the smart way to keep it.

That being said, get that thing out from under your pillow.  Stick it in your nightstand/minisafe, or even in a kydex holster mounted to your bedframe/nightstand/wall/etc.  If you have kids, move it when you wake up, and put it back there when you go to bed.  My Glock 19 has a round in the chamber all the time.  No exeptions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, you guys do what's safe and best for your specific needs, but I learned the hard way about keeping a loaded gun under my bed with a round chambered:

About 8 years ago, I gave my girlfriend keys to my apartment. The first time she used them was about midnight on a weekday, unnanounced. I was fast asleep when she came in, but I woke up becuase something didn't seem right. I grabbed my G23, heart racing and still very groggy/disoriented from being asleep. I didn't hear anything for a while, so I let out a sigh and laid back down. No sooner had my head hit the pillow, my bedroom door swung open and I saw a figure start to move slowly in the door. I shot up, leveled the front sights at this intruder and started taking up the slack and spring pressure. At this point, I was wide awake, with a 55gal. drum of adrenalin pumping through me, every hair standing staight up. I was already commited to the realization I was going to shoot someone that night. This was the real deal. Right as I felt the trigger come to where I knew it was ready to break, I saw a woman's nipple in the moonlight coming from the window and nearly shit a green Twinkie-I jerked the gun away from her so hard it hit the wall.

She thought she was going to "surprise me" by coming over after she got off work. I didn't hear her getting undressed, hence the delay between waking up and her walking in the bedroom. She literally came within a few grams of trigger pull of dying that night and it would have been entirely my fault.

I'd like to think that the time and motion of going through cycling the action would have given me a little more time to think about what I was doing, and a chance for her to have heard me rack the slide.

I've since decided that I'm better off with the chamber empty and the mag loaded, with the gun in the closet shelf, pushed to one side for easy access in the dark. The fear of having a similar event happening again is something I fear more than a true home invader getting the drop on me.  I carry with a loaded chamber, but at home it's just not worth it.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
i understand that you were very psyched up at that point but its not really a lesson that would teach me to keep my chamber empty.  i would think lessons learned might include things like always identify your target (taking up trigger slack on a shadow sound like a good idea?), or using some sort of less-lethal force option (like a Surefire flashlight, which would identify your target AND blind them).
you also would have had a hell of a time defending yourself in court on that one, even if it had been an intruder (i'm from michigan and i don't recall them being that laid back on shooting unidentified people in the dark!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top