Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2007 7:51:12 PM EDT
Alright, so over the past year ive started collectin firearms, i got a 30-06 bolt action, a colt ar-15 and two of my dads old service revolvers, but now im thinkin i need a change, maybe something to carry.  so i was thinking either a glock 21, 22 or 23.  i cant do the compact models, my hand is to big, and they just dont feel right.  anyone have an opinion.  Im a medical student, and soon enough ill be workin in the bronx, doing rotations and whatnot, so i figured i might as well invest now in something that will see me through the rest of med school and residency, while im workin in some of the less then nice areas of NYC.  Do you guys think that one of these models is a good choice?  is there something better?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know about your laws but I carry my g21 and if I had it to do over I would go with the g17 for more ammo capacity . but there is nothing wrong with the 21...my 2 cents
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a G23 last week, new, 3 mags, $438.  I thought about buying the G17, but I already have a Sig 228 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know you guys could carry up there.

I personally carry the G19, which is the same size as the G23, just in 9mm.  So, I like the smaller size of the G23 over the G22 and G21 for concealment.  Unless you prefer the feel of full size guns, my vote would be for the G23.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the G23.  If not the 23 get the 19.

-MEI
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I didn't know you guys could carry up there.

NYC has a different CCW then NY state. The city also has a pre-ban standard capacity mag limit(or 10rd only). Personally I would get the G23, but for you I would have to go with the G19 and some creditable training. As messed up as NYC is, get some good training, and LOTS of range time. Having a firearm and no training is no different them practicing medicine without going to school.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Training is already taken care of, i grew up with an uncle and father who were cops, and have been shooting  since i was 4, but my dad has kinda gone antigun on me since he retired, so hes kinda not being helpful, so i figured i would ask some questions about the glock.  i hate to ask, why do so many of u guys like 9mm over the 45, or 10mm?  i know u get more rounds in a magazine with a 9mm, but doesnt the 45 have a better punch?  and i dont know much about the 10mm, but i figured it was somewhere in between the two.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....why do so many of u guys like 9mm over the 45, or 10mm? .. and i dont know much about the 10mm, but i figured it was somewhere in between the two.  

I think mostly because ammo is so readily available. I love my G20 and 10mm is great round with more punch then the 45 but ammo is a little spendy.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
another vote for g19. My dad has one and I'm jealous. But he's jealous of me cuz he likes my g35 better. We'd swap, but I've already got a suppressor on the way for the g35
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Training is already taken care of, i grew up with an uncle and father who were cops, and have been shooting  since i was 4, but my dad has kinda gone antigun on me since he retired, so hes kinda not being helpful, so i figured i would ask some questions about the glock.  i hate to ask, why do so many of u guys like 9mm over the 45, or 10mm?  i know u get more rounds in a magazine with a 9mm, but doesnt the 45 have a better punch?  and i dont know much about the 10mm, but i figured it was somewhere in between the two.  

A few of my reasons are that 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper to buy and reload, you can fit more rounds in a magazine vs. a .45, less recoil means it's more fun to shoot, you can get 9mm ammo pretty much anywhere in the world.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few of my reasons are that 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper to buy and reload, you can fit more rounds in a magazine vs. a .45, less recoil means it's more fun to shoot, you can get 9mm ammo pretty much anywhere in the world.

I prefer the G19 and 9mm myself because of cost, higher capacity, slightly easier to control, very readily available, and modern 9mm is not really less effective than most of the larger calibers.  Granted, .40 and .45 ARE more powerful, but to a trivial extent.  9mm has better penetration than either of them as well.  Ballistic tests have proven that 9mm is not a pussy round and stack up surprisingly well compared to others.  The choice is yours but I'd go 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Get both G19 and G23, one for range the other to stop the bad guy trying to take your life respectively.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i dont know much about the 10mm, but i figured it was somewhere in between the two.  

The .40 is in between the two, but closer to the .45. The 10mm is a true magnum round with 650 ft lbs of energy in some regular factory loadings and well over 700 ft lbs in several low volume specialty rounds. 10mm is the shit!

To answer your first question about a Glock for big hands, I like the way a 20 or 21 fits my hands better than any of the other Glocks although I carry my 19 most of the time. My hands are large, but not enormous.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Of the 21 22 23 I would go 23. If another choice, G19.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get both G19 and G23, one for range the other to stop the bad guy trying to take your life respectively.

My setup is the same, I carry a G23 and practice/train with a G19.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
alright, so u guys basically sold me on the g19..now im gonna have to go out and grab it just to make sure.  another question though, whats the difference between the different generations and is a gen 3 worth it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get one, and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
....., whats the difference between the different generations and is a gen 3 worth it?

3 Generation of receivers.  
About the 3rd gen receiver, it would depend if it fits your hand.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
alright, so u guys basically sold me on the g19..now im gonna have to go out and grab it just to make sure.  another question though, whats the difference between the different generations and is a gen 3 worth it?

The thing I like about Gen3 is the rail, the thing I don't care for is the grip.  This is pretty much what everyone says.  

Are you planning on mounting a light on your G19?  

Yes-Get Gen3 and if you don't like the finger grooves, dremel them off or get a hogue rubber grip (put one on mine and it is super comfy)  

No-Get the Gen2.  A little more of a comfortable grip and it will end up costing you less as it will be used.

If I had no plans of ever utilizing the rail, I would have bought a used Gen2.  In fact, I actually plan on buying two more G19's (and maybe a G26 but that doesn't pertain to this) and I'm just going to get a couple good condition Gen2 police trade-ins.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I didn't like the grip on my 3rd Gen G23 at all when I first bought it, but I got used to it after a little while.  Now I really like 'em.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#21]
i dont live in the city right now, and wont be starting my clinical rotations for another year atleast...so im not to worried about magazine restrictions right now...and when it comes to that point, well them i might just have to buy another gun...shucks...as for the mounting a light on the gun, no i really dont think so.  im hopin to do my residency for med school in the bronx in a coupla years, but....i dont see myself walking down dark alleys and all that jazz ya know.u guys have been really helpful to this point atleast thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
another question....compensated vs uncompensated...whats the difference, and which is better?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
another question....compensated vs uncompensated...whats the difference, and which is better?

Compensated=ports in the top of the barrel to allow gas to escape upward, thus reducing muzzle flip (and muzzle velocity, though not by much).
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Compensated Glocks never did much for me. I have a 3rd Gen 19 and really like it. It took me a long time to decide on a universal gun that I could trust for carry, but I came to the G19 as the best option for me. I am considering a Gen 2 19 just because they are fairly priced used and also looking in to the new 21SF, a G30 and hell maybe a 17 just for show.

ETA....and a G34
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I know we are on the glock forum and i know what you said you were looking for but have you considered a springfield xd-45?  I own two g19's and a g26 but i just recently bought an xd-45 service and then an xd-45 compact.  I love them.  Dont get me wrong I love my glocks too but i wanted something with a little more punch than my 9's and I didn't like the g21, it was too big for my hands.  I am a little slower with doubles on the 45's but i'm sure with more practice i will get quicker.  I seriously would hold an xd-45 and see what you think.  The trigger on the xd-45's has a lot more take up than the glocks but the break is about the same.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I know we are on the glock forum and i know what you said you were looking for but have you considered a springfield xd-45?  I own two g19's and a g26 but i just recently bought an xd-45 service and then an xd-45 compact.  I love them.  Dont get me wrong I love my glocks too but i wanted something with a little more punch than my 9's and I didn't like the g21, it was too big for my hands.  I am a little slower with doubles on the 45's but i'm sure with more practice i will get quicker.  I seriously would hold an xd-45 and see what you think.  The trigger on the xd-45's has a lot more take up than the glocks but the break is about the same.

I like the XD's as a pistol but just don't think they compare when it comes to concealability.  

I only think the compensated glocks are good for competition.  For a regular self defense weapon, I really suggest the standard barrel.  Since you have no intentions of mounting a light, I suggest you just grab a good condition used Gen2 G19.  You'll get a more comfortable grip and spend less.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I like the XD's as a pistol but just don't think they compare when it comes to concealability.  

My xd-45 compact is no bigger than my g19.  Now, the service (longer grip than the compact but same 4" barrel) and tactical (longer grig than the compact but 5" barrel) models are a little harder to conceal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My xd-45 compact is no bigger than my g19.  Now, the service (longer grip than the compact but same 4" barrel) and tactical (longer grig than the compact but 5" barrel) models are a little harder to conceal.

Thickness is what matters with concealability.  Length isn't too important.  I highly doubt that the XD45 compact is as slim as the G19.  That's what I was saying.

Now if he's a thicker guy then it might work.  I can tell you though, as an athletic built guy myself, the G19 is really the only decent sized double stack handgun that would work for concealing under just a regular t-shirt.  And yes, I tried XD's which my brother owns 3-4 of them and I enjoy shooting them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top