Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2006 11:24:08 AM EDT
don't know enough about ammos, so had to ask a dumb question...
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is.

It looks like Glock does not want the word SIG on their website!

G31, G32, & G33 listed under caliber ".357".

My Glock has ".357" on the slide and on the back of the magazine.  The word "SIG" is nowhere on a Glock product, but it is in fact .357 SIG caliber!

Glock does not help to explain this for people like you who find this caliber identification vague.  It seems to be purposely vague!

If you check the Glock website .45acp is listed as .45 AUTO, .380acp is listed as .380 AUTO.  I guess they don't like the reference to acp which is Automatic Colt Pistol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes it is.

G31, G32, & G33 listed under caliber "357".

My Glock has "357" on the slide and on the back of the magazine.  The word "SIG" is nowhere on a Glock product, but it is in fact .357 SIG caliber!

Glock does not help to explain this for people like you who find this caliber identification vague.  It seems to be purposely vague!

If you check the Glock website .45acp is listed as .45 AUTO, .380acp is listed as .380 AUTO.  I guess they don't like the reference to acp which is Automatic Colt Pistol.

So when someone somewhere loads 45 gaps in an acp or visa versa and blows something up. Who will be responsible. Isn't 45 gap still 45 auto since it's not a long colt. I don't like glocks attitude, or my malfunctioning glock at this time. Their attitude seems to be as perfect as their gun. But I guess I'll just fix the DAMN thing and get over it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you could get a round of .45 auto (.45acp) into a pistol chambered for .45GAP, it would not go into battery.  It is too long for the .45GAP magazine, meaning the only way would be to drop one through the ejection port directly into the chamber.

It will not fit well enough to fire.

HOWEVER...

A .45GAP would fit into the magazine of say a Glock 21 in .45AUTO (.45acp).  It would strip out of the magazine and chamber.  The .45GAP would most likely be held against the bolt face by the extractor.  When the trigger was pressed it would fire and most likely eject.  Nothing would blow up.

I am making an educated guess.  I have in fact fired a bunch of .40S&W through a G20 10mm.  It fired, functioned, and was accurate.  I did it to see if in an EMERGENCY I could fire .40 S&W out of my 10mm Glock.  I have since bought a .40 S&W barrel and a .357SIG barrel for the G20.

I have little doubt the .45GAP would work the same through my G21 .45AUTO.

CAVEAT

AS A FACTORY CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER I AM STRONGLY RECOMMENDING AGAINST FIRING .40 S&W OUT OF A 10MM, OR A .45GAP OUT OF A .45AUTO!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The name designation was removed from all Glocks years ago when Glock sued S&W, and won.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes it is.

My Glock has "357" on the slide and on the back of the magazine.  The word "SIG" is nowhere on a Glock product, but it is in fact .357 SIG caliber!

Also, .40 S&W is listed as .40 AUTO.

And for informational purposes only (and not referring to any post in particular), it's not ".357 Sig," but rather "357 SIG."
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, just .40 by itself.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=13980&page=33

You can use a .38 special on the .357 right?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, just .40 by itself.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=13980&page=33

You can use a .38 special on the .357 right?

Huh, guess I saw the .40 AUTO listed somewhere else today.

And no, no .38 Special in the 357 SIG.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes it is.

My Glock has ".357" on the slide and on the back of the magazine.  The word "SIG" is nowhere on a Glock product, but it is in fact .357 SIG caliber!

And for informational purposes only (and not referring to any post in particular), it's not ".357 Sig," but rather "357 SIG."

Are you sure?  

.40 S&W is listed as .40, no other designation on the Glock website.

SIG Sauer.  ...as in Swiss Industries Group (SIG).

From the SIGARMS website

"  The P229 was the first pistol to be manufactured in Exeter, New Hampshire. Available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 SIG, the P229R is one of the most popular SIG SAUER® pistols and carried by thousands of law enforcement professionals throughout the country. The compact size of the P229R makes it ideal for concealed carry. "
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes it is.

Are you sure?  

.40 S&W is listed as .40, no other designation on the Glock website.

SIG Sauer.  ...as in Swiss Industries Group (SIG).

From the SIGARMS website

"  The P229 was the first pistol to be manufactured in Exeter, New Hampshire. Available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 SIG, the P229R is one of the most popular SIG SAUER® pistols and carried by thousands of law enforcement professionals throughout the country. The compact size of the P229R makes it ideal for concealed carry. "

I was wrong on the ".40 AUTO" being on  the Glock site.  I  did see  that somewhere today,and thought for whatever reason that it was on Glock's new website.

I'm almost 100% positive that the round is  actually  designated "357 SIG," even after seeing the "." being used on the  Sig website.  I'll see  if I  can find  any background on it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#10]
yes, .357 sig=.357 in glocks...i bet if it were a .357GAP/glock or something, glock would list the cartrige's full name

the older glocks (2nd gen) were marked ".40 SW"; new 3rd gens are ".40"
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#11]
search .357sig in Wikipedia.  It has an interesting history of .357Sig development.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes it is.

So when someone somewhere loads 45 gaps in an acp or visa versa and blows something up. Who will be responsible. Isn't 45 gap still 45 auto since it's not a long colt. I don't like glocks attitude, or my malfunctioning glock at this time. Their attitude seems to be as perfect as their gun. But I guess I'll just fix the DAMN thing and get over it.

My Glock 32 DOES have the stamp "357 SIG" on the slide.  It's a second generation.  From what I've been told, a few were so stamped and it caused an uproar within the company and they changed it.  Don't know how many were stamped with the SIG label, but I do have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top