Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 10:41:10 PM EDT
I recently bought a used but near new Glock 21. I took it to the range and ran about 100 rounds of Walmart special 230 gr FMJ through it and had several dig in on the feed ramp and fail to feed. This is my 5 th Glock and I have never had this problem before. I did change the recoil spring and guide for a steel guide and 20 pound spring. Could this be the reason?  I see no evidence of altering of the ramp but the trigger does seem a little light and other items could have been altered. I have new Glock mags. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently bought a used but near new Glock 21. I took it to the range and ran about 100 rounds of Walmart special 230 gr FMJ through it and had several dig in on the feed ramp and fail to feed. This is my 5 th Glock and I have never had this problem before. I did change the recoil spring and guide for a steel guide and 20 pound spring. Could this be the reason?  I see no evidence of altering of the ramp but the trigger does seem a little light and other items could have been altered. I have new Glock mags. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark
The ammo stopped on the ramp?  Or did it butt into the base of the ramp.  Check the finish of the ramp, compare it to your other glock feed ramps.  Are your mags marked so you can track which mags it's doing it with?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It was as if it was not raised quite enough by the magazine. The ramp dug in to the bullet  jacket slightly. I don't think the ramp has been altered. I will now number my mags and see if it occurs with only one or two of the mags. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest you try the original recoil spring assembly and let us know if you continue to have this problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.....I did change the recoil spring and guide for a steel guide and 20 pound spring........

Who's spring and rod? I had similar problems with my G20. I studied the problem and found out what was happening. So I had my own captured guide rods machined at a local CNC shop(500qty), no more problem.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I would try the original guide rod/spring, but it sounds like a mag problem. I had the same problem on one of my G35's (round nose diving in to the feed ramp) narrowed it down to a bad magazine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Why do people insist on changing parts in weapons before they shoot them? Especially glocks? I guy I work with asked me if I reccomended he changew the recoil spring and guiderod on his glock 22, I asked him if he was having issues with it. his reply " no, but I heard that a new recoil spring and guide rod made it more reliable" I say " out of my 4 glocks the ONLY issues I ever had were with wolf ammo and it was a couple of hard primers and that was it, if you gun runs 100% you aren't going to make it run 110% by swapping stuff"
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I recently bought a used but near new Glock 21. I took it to the range and ran about 100 rounds of Walmart special 230 gr FMJ through it and had several dig in on the feed ramp and fail to feed. This is my 5 th Glock and I have never had this problem before. I did change the recoil spring and guide for a steel guide and 20 pound spring. Could this be the reason?   I see no evidence of altering of the ramp but the trigger does seem a little light and other items could have been altered. I have new Glock mags. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark

Yes.  Change it back to OEM parts immediately.

Also look for a large gap at the mag base between the bottom of the grip and the base.  If it is large, you may have a worn mag release or mag slot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
When I bought a NIB G21, I never had any problem.
Do you know why?
hint: Stock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
OR, you could try some different ammo
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
stock rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top