Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 10:21:06 AM EDT
Hi all. I have yet to contact Glock on the matter, but I wanted to ask you all if you have ever seen a really old model 17 w/1986 award sticker on the box lid. This pistol is serialed

CD11(hidden digit on the third)US

It has the all smooth grip with no ribs on where the front fingers rest on the grip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine had no sticker...., but if it's really old it'll have a little stamp of a "Phoneix" bird on both the slide and the barrel and that serial number will be on a piece of plain steel strip in front of the trigger guard, instead of the stainless steel strip used on later models. (the only part of the "original" Glock 17 that will rust as it was added post-haste prior to import at the request of the BATF)

Another quirk of early imports is a weak slide release spring, meaning when ya slam a new mag home the slide releases own it's own and chambers a round, ready to go back to shooting. This also results in the slide not locking to rear on some......., my locks back okay, but shake the pistol too much and the slide slams home.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I've had 2 or 3 come through the shop in the last year. Unless you are dealing with a really nice piece, it's not going to be worth any more than a standard 3rd gen Glock. A collector may pay good money for it though. They were made like that from '83 to about '87-8 (I can't remember the year they changed to the 2nd gen). Cool gun, I'd hang on to it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I would hang on to it, as I have had it about 1 1/2 or 2 years from a deal in Va, but I am no real collector. Don't get me wrong, it is very sweet in condition and all. Hell, I fired a mag thru it just to see for myself, but otherwise it doesn't look too much like a real used/abused shooter. It hasn't been shot too much at all(in short). I am thinking of trading it for another G17 and boot or so. I just wasn't sure of the value or rarity at all. Thank you both for the reply to the question.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
This site has good info:    http://glockfaq.com/markings.htm

You could also post over at glocktalk.com.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I just went to the site that Lazyshooter posted. It basically anwered all the questions. I will dig it back out of the safe to look on the barrel for date codes, but it looks like it is the Nitro Test Proofed Eagle on it from Austria and all. It is a mid eighty's production and looks outstanding for it's age w/no use. Thank you all again.

regardss, Rusty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top