Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 1:07:05 PM EDT
Hello all

I am in the market for a subcompact size pistol for my GF and i was looking at springfield XD's but cant seem to find the deal i'm looking for on one. I like the Glock 27 with the use of a pinky extension, but with it had some other sort of safety device for her. Does anybody here use the add-on safety on their glock? I dont think its a bad idea, and being a 1911 guy, with proper training, the safety isnt an issue to me. Im looking for your opinion. Thanks.  I can get the G27 for <400 with LEO price, so lets hear it.

-- OJM
FF/NREMT-P
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Safety on a Glock?

My safety is between the ears. I like Glocks because they don't have a traditional safety.  A Glock with a safety is just another range gun IMHO. I think no matter how much training, a safety is just adding another possibility for you to mess up. An additional movement in the draw, or another piece of junk to hang up on your shirt during the draw.

You will definately want the extension. It helps alot.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll agree when i say i dont normally like add on safetys (sans 1911). My HK doesnt have a safety, but then again it has 11lbs pull in DA mode. I like the Springfield XD's cause they have trigger safety and grip safety, like a 1911. I like my 1911, and that has a safety...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
No, but I would like an aftermarket manual safety for my revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Install a NY1 trigger spring for an extra margin of safety if it concerns you!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I put one of the Comonolli Safeties on my Glock, and love it. I saw a guy almost lose his leg holstering his Glock, and his shirt got caught  in the trigger, and fired . Really messy. The Comonolli safety is well made, positive, and works great. I know they are not for everyone, but after what I saw, it's about the only way I'll use my Glock in competition.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll agree when i say i dont normally like add on safetys (sans 1911). My HK doesnt have a safety, but then again it has 11lbs pull in DA mode. I like the Springfield XD's cause they have trigger safety and grip safety, like a 1911. I like my 1911, and that has a safety...

For most 1911's the trigger is about 3lbs or less I believe. Not the best pistol to keep in condition 1 without any kind of safety. Glocks on the other hand, come from the factory with a 5.5lb trigger. Aftermarket connectors can be purchased to make Glock triggers either 3-8lbs. I have found the factory 5.5lb trigger to be the best balance of safety and performance for carrying. The heavier 7lb trigger slows down my follow-up shots and decreased my accuracy. Neither a target trigger or Ft. Knox safe trigger are ideal for carrying safety off.

Glocks also have a firing pin and trigger safety. They can be thrown down the stairs all day long without an AD. The trigger has to be pulled before they will fire. I just wouldn't reccomend a Glock to those people that have bad hadleing habits.

Maybe you should look at the XD if it's a big concern for you. I just don't like the grip safety. It feels strange to me. Probably because I don't have much experience with 1911's however it probably feels right at home for you. I just look at the grip safety as another thing to go wrong. What if your hand gets injured or you get a cramp and you just can't sqweeze the grip safety tight enough to pull the trigger. Making a fast unexpected draw and firing with one hand... maybe you didn't squeeze the grip safety hard enough to pull the trigger? Many possible scenarios where an XD or 1911 might as well be considered disabled in a self defense situation.

Glocks just don't have all the marketing bells and whistles geared for the consumers. They just work as they were intended. Pull Aim Shoot with no thought process. No safety to worry about and no crap hanging off to catch on your shirt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]

I just look at the grip safety as another thing to go wrong. What if your hand gets injured or you get a cramp and you just can't sqweeze the grip safety tight enough to pull the trigger. Making a fast unexpected draw and firing with one hand... maybe you didn't squeeze the grip safety hard enough to pull the trigger? Many possible scenarios where an XD or 1911 might as well be considered disabled in a self defense situation.  You don't even notice the grip safety.  It requires about as much force as produced by a stiff fart to depress.  Ok, not really, but it's the same idea of the Glock SafeAction Trigger in my eyes.  It simlpy ensures (in theory, as with all safeties) that the weapon will only be fired in the event of the firer DESIRING it to be fired, since it will (in theory) only allow firing when properly gripped.

Glocks just don't have all the marketing bells and whistles geared for the consumers. They just work as they were intended. Pull Aim Shoot with no thought process. No safety to worry about and no crap hanging off to catch on your shirt. Damn right. Gotta love Glocks, but I love 1911s too.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Xenogy, it is rare for 1911s (competition guns excepted) to have such light triggers. 5 pounds stock or a 4 pound trigger job is more common.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
No sir I do not like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Install a NY1/2 trigger spring for an extra margin of safety if it concerns you!

Yep, if you feel safe with the trigger on HK get one like it for the GLOCK if you must.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't use a add on safety on either of my GLOCKs.
Like Hooch said in Black Hawk Down, "This is my safety, sir."
Don't put your finger on the trigger until you've made the decision to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't use a add on safety on either of my GLOCKs.
Like hoot said in Black Hawk Down, "This is my safety, sir."
Don't put your finger on the trigger until you've made the decision to shoot.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps the better question is; what does she prefer?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, I use a Saf-T-block in my carry G30.

Neat device which provides added security against AD, with no loss of time when it comes to using the pistol.

Mike

ps - find it adds an additional measure of safety especially with the holster and mode of carry used most days
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just look at the grip safety as another thing to go wrong. What if your hand gets injured or you get a cramp and you just can't sqweeze the grip safety tight enough to pull the trigger. Making a fast unexpected draw and firing with one hand... maybe you didn't squeeze the grip safety hard enough to pull the trigger? Many possible scenarios where an XD or 1911 might as well be considered disabled in a self defense situation.  You don't even notice the grip safety.  It requires about as much force as produced by a stiff fart to depress.  Ok, not really, but it's the same idea of the Glock SafeAction Trigger in my eyes.  It simlpy ensures (in theory, as with all safeties) that the weapon will only be fired in the event of the firer DESIRING it to be fired, since it will (in theory) only allow firing when properly gripped.

Glocks just don't have all the marketing bells and whistles geared for the consumers. They just work as they were intended. Pull Aim Shoot with no thought process. No safety to worry about and no crap hanging off to catch on your shirt. Damn right. Gotta love Glocks, but I love 1911s too.

I just think that if I have to draw quick and manuver within 1ft or less and I don't get the grip just right, or I get a half grip I'll be screwed. Just applying Darwin's theory to the whole thing. During such situation everything happens to go out the window quite frequently and the unexpected can leave you with your pants down.

Don't get me wrong, the XD line is very nice. The grip on the new .45 XD is looking very appealing. I wouldn't mind getting some trigger time to see if it would change my mind about the grip safety. I've just handle a ported XD at a gun show that was really nice. Just my first thoughts when handling it  was that the grip safety concerned me. Other than that I was impressed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#16]
If your grip on an XD is so light or out of posistion that you can not disengage the grip saftey, then the gun will likely have a FTE or fly out of  your hand.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#17]
People just love to try something new..... I tried a XD 9 at the shooting range this past weekend. I was not overly impressed. I certainly would not give up the proven Glock reliability for any other handgun. Remember the KISS principle.... Keep It  Simple Stupid !!! Thats why I use Glocks and AK's. As stated earlier....  The safety is in your head..... Practice practice practice....................
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen that Cominelli safety, It's a fairly small safety, looks like something off a WWII era woman's purse gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Glocks work just fine without cutting them up and adding pointless gizmos to them.  I would never put the Cominoli on any Glock I own, never ever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Glock did produce a few G17 with a safety for the Tasmanian Police force. They also produced even fewer G22  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top