Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 5:23:00 PM EDT
At what level of corrosion / rust do you replace parts of your glock. I am doing my fist complete strip "if i can get the locking block / trigger pin out "bent 2 punches already" and am noticing rust including some black corrosion/pitting on some of the stainless parts.

I am definatly needing to replace the extractor, hole rust in that slot when i pulled it out. But am curious as to what point you go ahead and replace everything else.

P.S. I am scared of how the trigger will look being this hard to get the pin removed
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely just gunk and build up instead of rust. I have been sweating all over my GLOCK with no black coating for years and I don't even wipe it off unless I shoot it. I never touch the outside of the gun with oil or protectant and it hasn't rusted in 18 years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
:) yup its rust/corrosion red light rust black corrosion, its eaten almost all the way through the pin hole for the slide catch, extractor extreamly pitted along with the locking block and plunger for firing pin.

Def going to replace the slide lock bar and extractor

The trigger assembly wasnt as bad as i was expecting as i finally got the front pin out

considering this is the first complete strip and clean since it was made in 92. I am still very very happy with the condition "considering i know the abuse ive given this thing" and $15 worth of parts is the least of my worries
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Send it to GLOCK...Call them to see if it is warrenty....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to know what you've done to it in all those years.  After all the abuse I've put mine through and seen others do, it must be worth a story.  Even after the shit storm of abuse BigBore put is G21 through, it didn't get NEARLY as bad as you describe.  Please, if you don't mind, give us pics (required anyway, here) and a little backstory.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
well here are the pics, be warned its not pretty

www.peppercenter.com/glock/

Not the best pics but the best i could get
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WTF??? I have never seen GLOCK parts rust like that even when someone was trying to rust them in a torture test.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd love to know what you've done to it in all those years.  After all the abuse I've put mine through and seen others do, it must be worth a story.  Even after the shit storm of abuse BigBore put is G21 through, it didn't get NEARLY as bad as you describe.  Please, if you don't mind, give us pics (required anyway, here) and a little backstory.

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Give Glock a call tomorrow, send them the gun and let them take care of this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you live in the jungel or what dude?

Neve seen that froma  Glock before.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Just talked to glock, The service rep was a little shocked at what i described as well. He said to send it in and he will take care of me.

I dont care what you say very few companies at all let alone gun companies would do this for 14 year old  product. Screw the glock haters this is a da*n fine gun/gun manufacture
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just talked to glock, The service rep was a little shocked at what i described as well. He said to send it in and he will take care of me.

I dont care what you say very few companies at all let alone gun companies would do this for 14 year old  product. Screw the glock haters this is a da*n fine gun/gun manufacture

No shit. Can you even imagine Colt, Kimber, or S&W repairing a 14 year old pistol for free because it showed rust on some parts?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Glad to hear but not surprising

Be sure to post pictures when she returns home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
That has to be the worst amount of corrosion i've seen on a glock, save the Bigbore rust test, and the pic of the one that was lost in a sewer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So... did you find and fire some very old corrosive ammo?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL...Do you work and carry in a chemical plant and dip it in acid every day?
Glocks rule!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#19]

The pin you hammered on is held in place by the slide stop. There is a detent slot in the pin and the slide stop drops in the slot and captures it. All you had to do was jiggle the slide stop around till it was centered on the pin not in the detent and the pin would have pushed out by hand.

+1
I remove mine simply by pushing it with a 3/16"  drift punch while jiggling the slide stop.
The parts that are rusting are not stailess steel, they are plated steel.
For some reason your plating is coming off.
I suspect some kind of chemical. Have you used any unusual solvents?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#20]
thats crazy
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So... did you find and fire some very old corrosive ammo?

Hmmmm?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top