Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:17:07 PM EDT
I've noticed recently that I've been encountering some extraction failures with my Glock 17.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Here's the facts:

* Purchased in the early 90's.
* Had at about 5K - 6K rounds fired through it.
* I've been using HSM 115gr. reloads recently.
* The extractor doesn't look worn.

* Up until that last 1K rounds fired, I'd never opened up the firing pin/extractor mechanism on the slide.  Now, I've been going in there every 400 rnds or so.

* Also, how much lube should I be using when I reassemble those parts?

Any thoughts and advice gratefully received.

-Frank
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
got a G17 that was from early 90's, this is the original 90 degree extractor, never upgraded.
Never had fail to extract. Hell this is a Glock, not a 1911!
Just disassemble it, wipe off the junk, and wipe with thin film of oil, reassemble it back.

Try different ammo, new ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Do not lube or oil the extractor and you will have less trouble. Clean the channel with a pipe cleaner and make sure that the spring loaded bearing, the plastic part is in the back, next to the slide plate.

Any oil on the firing pin assembly or on the extractor will just make deposits adhere to it much better. Glockmeister.com has some instructions on how to care for your Glock that are valuable information.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you describe these "extraction failures"?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can you describe these "extraction failures"?

The casing is extracted about 1/3 of the way out of the chamber.  The slide has gone all the way back and either locked open on an empty mag or it has caught on the next round trying to feed it.

-Frank
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've noticed recently that I've been encountering some extraction failures with my Glock 17.

Here's the facts:

* I've been using HSM 115gr. reloads recently.

* Up until that last 1K rounds fired, I'd never opened up the firing pin/extractor mechanism on the slide.  Now, I've been going in there every 400 rnds or so.

-Frank

I think your problem is ammo related, unless your chamber is excessively dirty or corroded. Most guns extract fine when fired - even without an extractor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Here's the facts:

* I've been using HSM 115gr. reloads recently. More than likely it's these.

-Frank

No lube goes on the extractor or related parts.  Try some factory Federal/American Eagle or M882 ammo and see if it runs right.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
My G19 has over 30,000 rounds on the original extractor with no malfunctions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top