Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 5:29:10 AM EDT
Is it normal to see some wear on the Firing pin safety plunger under the mushroom part (where the Firing Pin essentially slides around) ?

I thought I read about something specific that caused this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe that it's normal at all. In fact, I'm currently experiencing a significant issue with my G17c that involoves FPS wear and a bad FP.  I'm having light primer strikes, all off center more than normal. Took the gun apart and cleaned the firing pin channel and figured that would be the culprit. Nope. I have replaced the trigger bar, firing pin spring, recoil spring, firing pin spacer sleeve (mine had a crack in it) and the firing pin channel liner all to the same result, off center light strikes.

I took the gun back down last night and noticed that the firing pin has been peened up on the shelf area that the firing pin saftey rides on and the firing pin saftey itself has a similar wear area to yours.

I've got a new pin and saftey on order from Glockmeister as of last night, hopefully that fixes my problem as I have replaced almost every other part in my favorite handgun.

I have come to the conclusion that I will no longer advocate dry firing Glock firearms.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I inspected the FP closely and noticed some "wear" on the angled edge where it would meet the FP safety. It doesn't appear too bad, it just looks like it has been in contact with something.

Have you frequently played with the FP with the slide separated from the frame? I did that a few times and I think that is what caused the wear.

Dry firing should have nothing to do with it because if you DID have a cartridge in the chamber, the FP would still move forward as if you were dry firing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The mark on your firing pin safety plunger is most commonly caused by someone pulling the firing pin(striker) with the slide removed, to the rear and letting it go. The other cause is the firing pin safety plunger spring improperly installed and that puts the safety in the wrong position allowing the firing pin to hit it when the gun is fired.  The spring improperly installed will cause the trigger to feel real heavy also.      
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you improperly install the spring?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How do you improperly install the spring?

by not having it in the recessed area that it's supposed to sit in
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The mark on your firing pin safety plunger is most commonly caused by someone pulling the firing pin(striker) with the slide removed, to the rear and letting it go. The other cause is the firing pin safety plunger spring improperly installed and that puts the safety in the wrong position allowing the firing pin to hit it when the gun is fired.  The spring improperly installed will cause the trigger to feel real heavy also.      

Ditto
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Moparman,

I have never had a Glock that has perfectly centered firing in strikes so I don't really see that as a symtpom of your problems.  What kind of ammo are you using?  

Have you made any modifications to the gun?  Do you happen to have an extended slide lock on the gun?

It is perfectly acceptable to dry fire a Glock, so that also has nothing to do with your problem.  How old is the gun and how many rounds have been put through it?  Is it a 2 pin frame or a 3 pin frame?  When you put your firing pin parts back togethor, do you put oil on them?  

Quoted:
I don't believe that it's normal at all. In fact, I'm currently experiencing a significant issue with my G17c that involoves FPS wear and a bad FP.  I'm having light primer strikes, all off center more than normal. Took the gun apart and cleaned the firing pin channel and figured that would be the culprit. Nope. I have replaced the trigger bar, firing pin spring, recoil spring, firing pin spacer sleeve (mine had a crack in it) and the firing pin channel liner all to the same result, off center light strikes.

I took the gun back down last night and noticed that the firing pin has been peened up on the shelf area that the firing pin saftey rides on and the firing pin saftey itself has a similar wear area to yours.

I've got a new pin and saftey on order from Glockmeister as of last night, hopefully that fixes my problem as I have replaced almost every other part in my favorite handgun.

I have come to the conclusion that I will no longer advocate dry firing Glock firearms.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Moparman,

I have never had a Glock that has perfectly centered firing in strikes so I don't really see that as a symtpom of your problems.  What kind of ammo are you using?  

Have you made any modifications to the gun?  Do you happen to have an extended slide lock on the gun?

It is perfectly acceptable to dry fire a Glock, so that also has nothing to do with your problem.  How old is the gun and how many rounds have been put through it?  Is it a 2 pin frame or a 3 pin frame?  When you put your firing pin parts back togethor, do you put oil on them?  

I am used to seeing the firing pin strike the primer a bit off center, however, my ftf rounds have the strike  further off than normal, almost to the edge of the primer.

The ammo I use is UMC or WWB usually, but have also tried Remington in the green and white box lately with the same result.

Yes, I do have an extended slide lock- please elaborate for me on that, as it'll be the only part I haven't replace once my firing pin and safety come in this week.

The only other mod I have done is a very conservative .25 cent trigger job.

The gun in question is a 2nd gen, 2 pin, and I would estimate 3000-4000 rounds fired. Firing pin has always been dry, and the channel swabs clean with a q-tip.

I really hope you're on to something with the slide lock, as I'm gettting pretty upet with my self and my firearm.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
First, check your locking block to make sure it isn't broken.  I had a broken locking block on the G17L that you could hardly see until you tried removing it.  Check out the pictures on this thread

www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484680

As far as the extended slide lock.  Push down on your barrel hood, and it should drop about a millimeter and spring back up when you release it.  If you push down on it, and it clicks down into place, it is "out of battery", and causing your light primer strikes.  Try it again with the stock slide lock if you have it and I guarantee you it pops back up on it's own.  I had a brand new G29 that was getting light primer strikes, and the extended slide lock was the reason why.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
First, check your locking block to make sure it isn't broken.  I had a broken locking block on the G17L that you could hardly see until you tried removing it.  Check out the pictures on this thread

www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484680

As far as the extended slide lock.  Push down on your barrel hood, and it should drop about a millimeter and spring back up when you release it.  If you push down on it, and it clicks down into place, it is "out of battery", and causing your light primer strikes.  Try it again with the stock slide lock if you have it and I guarantee you it pops back up on it's own.  I had a brand new G29 that was getting light primer strikes, and the extended slide lock was the reason why.

That's it man... I pushed down on the barrel with the ext. slide lock in- it doesn't budge. Put the old one back in and it bobs up and down like a hooker's head.

I'm going to the range tomorrow!!!!

EDIT- just got back from the range. You're the fuckin man, man. My glock rocks once again. Muy gracias!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
And nobody ever believes me when I tell them an extended slide lock was causing light primer strikes in my gun.

Here's some info for you.  That extended slide lock may work fine in another gun, and another extended slide lock may work just fine in your gun.  At first, I fixed my gun by putting in the stock slide lock, then out of curiosity, I put the "bad" one in another gun and it worked fine.  I wound up swapping the extended slide locks between two guns, and they both worked fine.  So the G29 still has an extended lock on it.

By the way, it's muchas gracias.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top